PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an expert on Pre-64 mod 70

Reyn
January 28, 2006, 06:58 PM
Anyone know a website or number of someone who is very educated on the history of the Pre-64. I have been to 3 different gun stores and still cant get a straight anwser. They keep resorting to the bluebook but im trying to find out if my gun is original. I posted on THR a while back and got some useful info. but these local gunstores seem to contradict some of that info. I know the gun has been reblued which i was told is an immediate 20percent reduction. It also wasnt tapped for the scope base(another detraction)The serial number is 38,??? (dont have gun here,cant remember) That tells me its pre WWII. The barrel says 30 gov 06. Butt plate is medal. Has the stripper clip slot in the top of the action along with the wavy lines on top of the receiver which from what i was told was pre transition or PRE-WWII. Also has the 2 small peep holes on the left of the action which was also Pre-WWII. The quest is regarding the stock. It has the raised cheekpiece along with the black tip which only came in Supergrade.Black tip looks smaller than some of the supergrades i have looked at. The floorplate though does not say supergrade. Im wondering if maybe it was blued over. It does have wraparound checkering and inlet swivels.Did ALL Supergrades have it on the floorplate? Im wondering since its old maybe some of the Pre WWIIs didnt have supergrade on the floorplate. Wondering if maybe there is some non original parts on it.Stock looks worn. One guy said its about %60 condition. It does shoot pretty good. Had several groups around an inch at 100yds.Gunstore says its worth about 350.00. Another said about the same especially if it has non-original parts. Some guys have said the action alone is worth that. Brother-in law said he would sale for 400-425.00. Any help is appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/reyn61/100_1321.jpg

Jim Watson
January 28, 2006, 07:14 PM
I don't know anything to add since your previous thread except to say that the dealers were insulting you and your brother in law is making you a good offer.

Reyn
January 31, 2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

bgoldhunter
February 1, 2006, 12:25 AM
I honestly can't remember if the older ones had Supergrade on the floorplate or not. I can say I don't remember it there on the Supergrades from that era that I have handled. The stock looks like it may be a Supergrade stock from that time period, as I believe that the ebony caps grew in size later in the M70's life.

Rebluing and mounting the scope will hurt the value of one to a collector looking for one to keep in the safe. However, lots of guys, including myself, would still buy one if the price were right to use for hunting and punching paper, or to use for a custom build.

Wildalaska
February 1, 2006, 01:50 AM
In collector terms, once a pre 64 is reblued, its just a shooter.

Supergrade or not, a reblued pre 64 in 30-06 in "60%" condition is wholesale $350, retail maximum of $500

WildanditdoesntappeartobeasupergradefrompicsAlaska

Horseman
February 1, 2006, 10:07 PM
The 38,000's makes it one of the 10,078 made in 1941 according to my books. I'm not sure about the floor plate. I haven't heard of any without the stamping. It would be the first thing to be refinished or replaced since they wore there the most. You could also check authenticity by checking the bottom of the receiver. True Super Grades have an S stamped on them. The bottom of the barrel near the receiver should also have 2 numbers stamped for the year 40 or 41. It should also say SUPER near those numbers. There is nothing for sure with the pre-64's cause they never threw away anything.
As for the value. You could get pretty good money for the stock on Ebay. And a pre-war action is worth at least $350. If it were mine I would have it restored to it's original condition since the originality is already gone. Turnbull restorations does an outstanding job!
Just remember there were only around 50,000 pre-wars made. It's worth more than $350. This is one that would be worth more restored since it's already been messed with. I'm not sure about the forend cap but Dave Riffle should be able to help you further. He is a knowledgeable winchester dealer who specializes in the old stuff. Daverifflegunsales.com Hope this helps.

gak
February 2, 2006, 09:00 AM
Believe it or not - can still get through to Winchester customer service or technical on the phone ( find at www.winchesterguns.com ) - and they might be able to shed some light.

Reyn
February 3, 2006, 03:27 AM
Horseman, It has 41 on the bottom of the barrel. The stock also has been bedded. The floorplate where it attaches by the front screw looks as though a filler or bedding type material was used. Looks like the stock might have broke there where the floorplate attaches at one time. I couldnt find a S near the 41 or on the receiver. Ill try to contact Dave riffle. Its looking as though it was a standard grade that was maybe put in a Supergrade looking stock. Gak,thanks for the link.