PDA

View Full Version : threading a fluted fal barrel?

Impact of Reason
January 27, 2006, 06:25 PM
Hey once again i've scraped up some cash and am considering buying an dsa fal. I've been shown one with a fluted barrel (supposed to reduce weight, i'm told). However, it doesnt have a muzzle brake, and isnt threaded for one. (the fal has a shorter barrel, so i think a muzzel break would be helpful) Should i hold out for a different one with a muzzle break, or would it be possible to get a gunsmith to thread and install a muzzle break for me?

picture of the barrel below...

armedtotheteeth
January 27, 2006, 09:26 PM
Looks like any gunsmith worth his salt can thread the last bit of that barrel. The brake on my armalite is threaded only about 3/4 inch maybe.

DnPRK
January 27, 2006, 10:20 PM
Flutes may look cool, but have little practical value. The best way to reduce weight is to chop off an inch of barrel.

There are some old wife's tales about flutes helping accuracy and barrel cooling. Neither are true. Flutes actually reduce the rigidity of the barrel by reducing the cross section monent of inertia. Flutes do not significantly increase cooling either. The best way to increase cooling is to paint the barrel with a high emissivity paint (flat black).

Impact of Reason
January 28, 2006, 12:03 AM
okay thanks for the input guys