PDA

View Full Version : Ballistics Software

azredhawk44
January 27, 2006, 03:49 PM
Anyone have ballistics software that they can recommend?

Ideally it would run on my Windows Mobile PDA (Dell Axim x50v), but if it runs on a regular windows computer that's fine too.

jrfoxx
January 27, 2006, 06:14 PM
Not sure what exactly you are looking for 'feature' wise, but I have Pointblank, and like it a lot. It has ballistics, reloading, trajectory graph, etc, and a database to store s/n's, model #'s, etc for your guns.

badaceds650
January 27, 2006, 06:19 PM
oops

DimitriS
January 27, 2006, 09:51 PM
AZ,

Go to www.huntingnut.com they will take care of you ;)

Dimitri

esldude
January 27, 2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, PointBlank is very good. Also Winballistics by Mr. Yeater. Both are free. Winballistics is a bit simpler. Both refer to a regular PC.

armedtotheteeth
January 27, 2006, 11:01 PM
I wouldnt waste your money on a ballistics program. I would rather waste money on ammo developing your own charts. Site in at 100 , back out to 150 shoot the target , record drop , back out to 200 shoot record the drop, and so on and so on. Note temperature for the day as that will be the biggest variable. If its hot bullets go fast ( flatter) if its cold , expect a bit more drop. Make your own charts and get it right. I have yet to find a program that works perfectly mainly because bullet manufacture tend to BS you about the Ballistic coefffecients, throwing the whole damn equation off. Hi BCs sell bullets. I made my own charts and i can hit a soda can at 650 yards, nearly every time. Unless the dang west texas wind gets me or i fart too hard. OOPS SQOOZE ME!

esldude
January 27, 2006, 11:38 PM
armedtotheteeth,

You are excused.

The two I list were free. What money is wasted? Are they perfect? Nope. But they are close, and many times better than simply shooting in the dark to develop your own.

As for BS, the idea temp makes more difference than wind is just that....BS.

armedtotheteeth
January 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
Well, yeah DUH! wind that makes a huge difference, but that is just a given. I mean temp makes more difference than stuff like oh, humidity or uhm i dont know , phase of the moon, how much butt lint you got today or all that stuff. I tried winnball and found that it was off 12 inches at 500 yards. Probably not YEATER's fault, but the BC of the bullets. Oh yeah, free is good. I like free

Ace12
January 28, 2006, 07:26 PM
is there any software with manufactures bullet info already in it? Im trying to figure the optimum zero for my 270 wsm. Federal premium 130gr nosler ballistic tip.

InSoMNiaX23
January 28, 2006, 07:39 PM
Remington has this one: http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/ on their website. I have never used it but it's a free download.

Wild Bill Bucks
January 29, 2006, 11:59 AM
Ace,
Go to the www.fort liberty.com wbsite and scroll down to the norma ballistics chart, it's pretty self explanitory and will give you a better insight on what can be done with your rifle than about any I have found. No ballistics chart is going to be perfect with your gun, but they are a good place to start.

Wild Bill Bucks
January 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
sorry bout dat ACE,
Go to norma ballistics calulator and it will take you there.

esldude
January 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
Well if the BC is off, it sure isn't the software's fault. You can take a chronograph and get your own BC numbers. BC actually varies a bit at different velocities/ranges. But by meausuring velocity at the muzzle and say 100 yards you probably get closer to a useful value than some published numbers. Also if you look around the net a bit, some reloaders have posted reasonable BC's for many bullets.