PDA

View Full Version : .22 Mag Target Ammo

Jonathan Yowell
January 27, 2006, 11:35 AM
What do you guys reccomend for a accurate, affordable ammo for a upgraded Marlin 882 bolt action in .22 Mag. Kind of new to the forum, did not see a rimfire spot for this question. Thanks for the help.

Wild Bill Bucks
January 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
Own Ruger 22 Mag.
best I have found are the CCI magnum rounds for accuracy, tried Winchester at 35 grains and did not group nearly as well as the CCI 40 grains. Federals didn't seem any better so I stayed with the CCI.
22 Mag is a GREAT hunting round for small game but a very expensive round for targets. I would suggest sighting in your magnum, and store it for hunting. Go get a 22 LR for some inexpensive target plinking and save yourself a bundle.

n5tb
January 27, 2006, 01:41 PM
CCI maxi mag hollow point 40 gr.

I used them to sight in my Marlin 25MN WMR and can place
consecutive shots in a 1.5" circle target at 75 yards.

I used the 34 grain remington vmax shells, but didn't get the same results.
seems to be more "all over the place", than the maxi mags.

not to mention the maxi mags are a little less expensive and give me
a better shot pattern.

But thats me.

Thanks,
Tony

Jonathan Yowell
January 27, 2006, 05:13 PM
Already have a few .22. Would like to get the mag as good as I can get it. Shooting the CCI maxi mag now pretty decent, just wanted to try to improve it as well as I can.

taylorce1
January 27, 2006, 05:35 PM
I've had good luck with the Federals in a 36gn hollow point in the red box, sighted in at 100yds. I get about .5" groups, I buy in bulk at cheaperthandirt.com to save money. I bought 1000 rounds at about $140.00 delivered. I can shoot my .223 cheaper but the dogs stay out longer when I use the .22 WMR. I've also used the Federals with the TNT hollow points but didn't see a big enough difference to pay the $1 more per 50.

Tacoma
January 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
I've had two 882's and used to pound keyboards daily with a 882/25M loving crowd over at the old ( now defunct) MarlinTalk site. General concensus amoung the "bitten" was that the 40 gr solid point fodder produced the /near best accuracy out of most of thse guns . ( 40 gr HP was jsut behind) Typicly ( but not always), as you venured towards lighter or heavier bullets, many guns started to wander. Federal , Winchester and CCI were all decient but if memory serves, Federal had the top vote. Of course, this is offered as a good starting place, I'd encourage you to sample other ammo to see what your particular rimfire likes. Ps. Great little rifles those 882's! ( Just fix the trigger.)
hth.

Death from Afar
January 29, 2006, 03:00 PM
All magnums are very ammo sensative. You will need to try every thing you can get your hands on and try them all. You will be amazed at the difference between brands.

goose2w1
January 29, 2006, 03:40 PM
I have a Marlin 25MN and an AMT Automag II and they both love the CCI 40 grainers. They group great and are the only one I have found that my AMT likes. Plus alot of sites, like MIDWAYUSA, have pretty good deals when buying in bulk.