PDA

View Full Version : Cheap optics for a "toy" gun

mfree
January 27, 2006, 11:13 AM
I've recently put together what I call my range toy... picked up an abused marlin 60 with a good bore (hard to have cleaning erosion when there was no cleaning), microgroove, for $50. After a long session with paint stripper, steel wool, elbow grease, the kitchen oven and aluminum wheel paint, I had a decent-looking, great functioning reciever.

I slapped it intoa fiberforce stock, on a whim. I thought it would be funny to make an "evil black rifle" out of a cheap .22... and then got shocked that the new stock was much more comfortable and lighter than the original ugly blonde wood to boot.

So, I want to complete the "image" on my range toy with some optics. Now, I don't like to buy "junk"... I know the cheapest BSAs have parallax issues and such, but everything else I've heard is heresay, so...

What do y'all know about inexpensive (less than $75), rimfire rail mounted optics? I'd like to end up with either a dot or a 2x or so scope...

FirstFreedom
January 27, 2006, 11:27 AM
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3293

I love the circle-X reticle, and on 1 power, there is no parallax at all. Just like a red dot only better because more precise and no batteries, plus you can zoom to 2, 3, or 4. Bushnell Banner line has BOTH a 1.5-4.5x32 and a 1-4x32. This is the 1 to 4. It's $10 more but it's worth it because you can go down to 1.0 to eliminate parallax completely.

As for rimfire rings, I really like these "Lynx" brand ones for the money:

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~manufacturer~B%2DSQUARE~model~LYNX+22+AND+AIR+GUN+RINGMOUNTS.htm

mfree
January 27, 2006, 11:55 AM
Nice setup.... but unfortunately that all ends up above the price limit.

tINY
January 27, 2006, 02:07 PM
You can adjust the paralax on any scope. The airgun community has some posts on how to do this.

The BSA may be your answer....

-tINY

Chris17404
January 27, 2006, 03:30 PM
I just picked up a Bushnell Sportsman 4-12x40 AO scope for $69 at Wal-Mart. It went on my new 10/22 DSP. I mounted it right on the receiver with soem Leupold integral see-thru rings, again like $15 at Wal-Mart. I like it so far. You might want to consider it.

Chris

FirstFreedom
January 27, 2006, 04:32 PM
Hmm, so the budget is $75 all told, with scope, rings & tax?

If so, I'd either bump your budget or find what I recommended used. If you do run with BSA, get a Cat's Eye variety - they're a tad better. That's an excellent rifle though, deserving of decent glass. Believe it or not, my $99 Marlin 60 wears a $600 Trijicon accu-point scope, 1.25-4x24mm. It's deadly accurate.

Randy_che
January 27, 2006, 04:54 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0024531711342a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=bushnell+scope&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=bushnell+scope&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

I bought a Bushnell Sportsman recently. So far, it is better than I expected. Perfect for a 22.

mfree
January 28, 2006, 02:09 AM
Ended up with an $18 BSA 3x7-20. A little dim, but workable, and I did eventually get the darn thing zeroed out :)

It works well enough. I may upgrade later to that Bushnell/Banner circle-X model, that looks intriguing.

Thanks for the assist y'all :)