PDA

View Full Version : 500 side by side?

.50cal packer
January 26, 2006, 11:59 PM
I was watching oln today, and they were hunting elephant. Odd I know, but one guy was shooting a 500 side by side. Who in the hell makes such a beast? As well as, who makes a 510. grain shell to shoot out of this. I work for a bullet manufacturer, in a military division. They make shells around this grain, but it is to penetrate 5/8 steel at 1500 yards. It took several of this 510. grain shell to kill this elephant. Three shots to the head, and several body shots. Just curious about this side by side elephant gun.

Limeyfellow
January 27, 2006, 12:36 AM
They make even bigger rounds than that too for big game hunting for elephants and other large beasts. They are ungodly expensive, probrobly in the £80,000-120,000 range. The most famous brand would probrobly be Holland and Holland. Rigby is also pretty famous.

Heres a nice article about the .600 nitro express, which for a longtime was the most powerful round in the world. Of course considering it costs $4 a round and each one weighs 2ibs its not really something most men will get to use.

http://www.african-hunter.com/the_mighty__600_nitro_express.htm