PDA

View Full Version : Tikka vs CZ in .270 Win.

Fred H
January 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
I was planning on getting a CZ 550 American in .270 Win. but the Tikka T3 in the stainless / laminated has caught my attention. Other shooters have been pleased with the accuracy of their CZ .270 , but I know very little about the Tikka's other than by reputation.

This rifle will be used for coyotes and whitetail deer in central Kentucky area. Out of the box accuracy and shootability is most important.

The T3 is about $200 more then the CZ, but I keep thinking that the stainless / laminated stock would make a more accurate and stable rifle (hold zero)than the CZ with its walnut stock.

The CZ has the mauser action and comes standard with the set trigger, which I like both features.

I did see where a set trigger can be a option for the Tikka. Does any body know of a dealer who stocks Tikka's with the set trigger or how to go about getting a tikka with the set trigger.

What is the difference between the T3 and the Master Sporter (or is it Sporting Master)?

Thanks in advance for your comments-Fred

handwerk
January 27, 2006, 07:21 PM
I have looked at both and now have 2 tikkas and no czs. The tikka has a much smoother action, incredible trigger, is lighter and has a detachable mag, not do mention how well they shoot. Cz's I think are good guns, tikkas are great guns.

Barn Dog
January 27, 2006, 07:50 PM
Handwerk is 100% correct in IMHO.

Striker1
January 27, 2006, 09:37 PM
I have a CZ 550 premium in .270 and it has to ge my vote.

Mauser controlled feed action that's smooth as butter, 24" Bbl, jeweled bolt and the trigger when "set" is unbelievable! Shoots like nobody's business, and it's all steel...unlike the Tikka.

Never fired the Tikka but they have a good reputation also.

I would not put the Tikka above the CZ in any way

TJ Freak
January 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
Tikka 1" 3 shot moa guarentee in Writing. CZ?

Striker1
January 28, 2006, 11:44 AM
Wow!!! That's hilariously mediocre....and yes my CZ can beat that!

That must be what the extra $200 is all about.

RugerOldArmy
January 28, 2006, 11:48 AM
I have a CZ550 Varmint in .308 I love it. No regrets. I do see the appeal to the buttery smooth Tikka actions, but after Berreta bought them, and the burst barrels, I dunno.

If my CZ started to shoot 1" groups (and it wasn't my fault), I'd be very disappointed. I'm more than pleased as to how well it shoots.

Pardon the bad pic. I can reload better than I can take pictures ;) TJ: Those are 1" squares. Dunno what the official method of measuring that group would be. This is the plain wood stock version, box stock.

http://home.comcast.net/~gregrgasser/cz550.jpg

TJ Freak
January 28, 2006, 01:15 PM
CZ guarentees better than Tikka?

RugerOldArmy
January 28, 2006, 01:53 PM
CZ guarentees better than Tikka?

No. They make no claim.

I also wouldn't consider the fit and finish as good as the Tikka. The wood stock on mine is pretty, but it is not free-floated well. I'll fix that one day, and glass bed it, but I'm in no hurry.

But I'll take the CZ trigger over the Tikka trigger ANY day. I've never seen a CZ (or Savage) that didn't shoot pretty well. They're good tools. I just think that to compare based on asthetics or the smoothness of the action doesn't say much. Those things make the sale.

I wouldn't bet on a box stock Tikka outshooting a box stock Savage or CZ. I would bet on it having a better fit and finish though.

marks655
January 28, 2006, 04:24 PM
Bought a new CZ550 in 6.5x55 last fall. Came with a nice target and three holes about 1 MOA. I handloaded for it; didn't shoot well. Then I lapped the lugs (one was almost out of contact) and bedded it. Never did better than 1.5 MOA. My swedish mauser sporters do much better.

I traded it for a Sako 75, same calibre. Sako shot under 1 MOA first time to the range.

Tikka (much like the Sako) is a better gun and worth the money.

I would not buy another CZ550.

marks655
January 28, 2006, 04:33 PM
CZ looks really nice and has nice features, as you say. The Tikka will probably shoot better but not because of the laminated stock or the stainless barrel. It will shoot better because for one thing, it has a better barrel.

CZ's are turning in a mixed review. Some shoot well, some do not. I believe this may be because they are not assembled with good consistency.

Othe CZ models may shoot well, but the CZ550 American that bought would not have been a good rifle for what you describe.

Striker1
January 28, 2006, 04:37 PM
Mark655,

Hogwash!

How can you say the test target was 1 MOA and the best you could do was 1.5 after "fixing the gun". Didn't I just hear that Tikka only guarntees 1 MOA?

I am a true believer that Tikka makes a great rifle, but it ain't better than the CZ.

And that barrel statement...the barrel on my CZ and everyone I've ever looked at is top notch.

I don't buy it...but if Tikka or Sako is your thing...good on ya!

marks655
January 28, 2006, 04:42 PM
Yes, the CZ I bought came with a 1 MOA target but since we know they come from Turkey or Yugo or someplace like that, who knows where or how the 'test target' was created. Perhaps they shot it using a .... Tikka

Striker1
January 28, 2006, 04:44 PM
So you say they come from Turkey or Yugoslavia...well I can see you know what you're talking about. Where are Tikka rifles made?

marks655
January 28, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm glad you have a CZ that shoots well. I only wish mine had done so. But the word on the street is that for the money, Tikka is hard to beat. I don't even own a Tikka but everyone who has one says the same thing - best accuracy for the money. I know the CZ I had was not assembled well. The locking lugs were not in even contact and the bedding was crude. The bottom of the receiver had a strange 'serration' cast into it - what that was supposed to do I culd not figure out. I was as surprised as you are that the CZ performed poorly. But my experience is not isolated.

Try finding a disgruntled Tikka owner.

Striker1
January 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
You mean besides the ones with split barrels?

By the way you didn't say where Tikka rifles were made?

marks655
January 28, 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't own a Tikka but I understand they come from the same facility that makes Sako's in Finland. Do you know where CZ rifles are made ? I'm told they are made in several places and countries including the US and - yes, Turkey.

As I said - I'm glad you like your CZ. I wish everyone did. I described an experience I had with a new CZ550. I have 6 rifles in 6.5x55 and they all shoot exceptionally well. The CZ550 I bought in that same calibre did not shoot well, and I was probably more displeased about it than you seem to be.

Striker1
January 28, 2006, 05:12 PM
CZ rifles - made in Czech Republic

CZ shotguns - manufactured by Huglu of Turkey, CZ is the US importer.

I'm just at a loss as to how you took a 1 MOA rifle and turned it into a 1.5 MOA rifle and it's the gun's fault.

I'm sure you'll be happy with a Tikka though.

Good Luck

marks655
January 28, 2006, 05:17 PM
I knew there was a Turkey in there someplace !

I don't own a Tikka. And I no longer own a turkey - oh I mean CZ.

RugerOldArmy
January 28, 2006, 05:23 PM
:eek: Come now. I'm sure both manufacturers have made a lemon or two.

Fremmer
January 28, 2006, 05:29 PM
This rifle will be used for coyotes and whitetail deer

O.K. So we know ol' Fred is gonna hunt with the rifle. As long as the rifle is reasonably accurate, he'll do fine. Accuracy guarantees? I'm not worried about whether the rifle comes with an accuracy guarantee. He won't be shooting from the bench, and most rifles are plenty accurate, especially for use in actual field (non-bench) conditions.

The T3 is about $200 more then the CZ, but I keep thinking that the stainless / laminated stock would make a more accurate and stable rifle (hold zero)than the CZ with its walnut stock.

I don't think that a stainless steel has anything to do with stability. The laminated stock may help in very humid or wet conditions, but I've never had a walnut stock warp due to humidity or moisture.

Both rifles have good reputations for accuracy and reliability. Buy the one that fits you best, and that you think looks the best.

marks655
January 28, 2006, 05:31 PM
No doubt. And as I tried to describe - I owned one of them. That doesn't mean others (varmit style, etc.) don't perform well.

We all tend to make purchases on the basis of what we hear, read, and experience. I was very excited when I picked up my CZ550 last fall - I had ordered it in 6.5x55 and waited several months to get it. It was, in fact, a poorly assembled firearm. I will probably not buy another. That is what I posted. Then someone started called my experience 'hogwash' etc. and it went downhill from there. Perhaps that someone should stick to what he has experienced and not make wisecracks about others.

Striker1
January 28, 2006, 05:42 PM
That "someone" finds it interesting that you make a brand out to be poorly assembled and claim it's made in Turkey or Yugo, or some place, and therefore they must all be trash. Did you at any time contact CZ USA about the shoddy assembly? or did you just decide to take it upon yourself to start working on the rifle and thus void the warranty?

marks655
January 28, 2006, 05:48 PM
Dear Stiker:

I said only that the CZ I purchased was poorly assembled, and that I would not buy another. I never said they were trash.

If I buy a gun and it has problems such as the CZ I purchased, I just trade it off. I'm not willing to mail things back and forth for months, etc. My retailer was sympathetic and gave me a good trade on a new Sako and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm glad you like your CZ. Obviously, some of them shoot well. I suggest we stop this exchange. I see no value in continuing it.

Striker1
January 28, 2006, 05:51 PM
You're right,

I apologize if I've offended you and the others

RugerOldArmy
January 28, 2006, 05:52 PM
Fred H: Damn, your first post, and you're already stirring up trouble. ;) Welcome.

For your second post, perhaps:

- My Remchester sucks!

- 9mm vs 45ACP

- .308 vs .30-06

- John Moses Browning stole my patents!

...Just an idea!

OK, now, Marks655 and Striker1 have to shoot each other's gun and report back.

marks655
January 28, 2006, 05:55 PM
My apology as well. I tend to get carried-away.

marks655
January 28, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah - let's start a new post on one of those topics !:D

BUSTER51
January 28, 2006, 06:35 PM
Both are fine,buy the one you like you won't be wrong ether way .I do belive you can get the CZ for less money .now as for the scope try a Nikon Monarch and you will be all set .

marks655
January 28, 2006, 06:53 PM
Or a Burris Fullfield II

Pilot
January 29, 2006, 03:06 PM
I did a quick check on Gunsamerica and it seems an Tikka T3 and CZ 550 are similar in price. The T3 also comes in 7MM-08 which is a personal favorite.

losvaqueros
February 6, 2006, 05:57 PM
Tikka having barrel "blast" problems or just a rumor?

Foxman
February 6, 2006, 06:11 PM
double post!! web site playing up.

Foxman
February 6, 2006, 06:12 PM
Tikka /Sako say only one batch now recalled for problem, apparently due to the Beretta numpkins changing the forging process to make it cheaper. I own several and there is no comparison with the CZ which used to be Brno. I have been round the factory in the Czech republic in the city of Brno. Or at least the part they let you see. They are ok , fair working tools, but not in the same league as the Sako / Tikka rifles for fit and finish, thier barrels do vary in size and finish in my experience, the actions are strong but again vary in fit/finish. You pays your money and takes your pick. Incidentally I have had 3 Beretta 12 gauges and never rated them either, made down to a price. I have 3 Winchesters and 2 Brownings again no comparison, they will still be shooting when I'm long gone.

Striker1
February 7, 2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah Foxman, but how do the CZ's shoot? Pretty is as pretty does? Bgy the way, just what is the issue with the barrels being different sizes? Have you personally seenthis or just heard about it?

Thanks

Marlboro Man
February 7, 2006, 10:03 PM
The Tikka isn't gonna shoot any better than the CZ. If you want to spend the extra $200 for the stainless barrel than by all means, do. If you want a great shooting rifle that has an awesome trigger then buy the CZ. I can put 4 shots under a quarter at 100 yards with mine right out of the box. I won't even start on what my CZ 452's will do out of the box.

marks655
February 7, 2006, 10:07 PM
Striker should light one up for Marlboro man and they should both go out and drink a beer together. :D

Tikkas rule, CZ's drool, and Sako's are way-cool.

This thread is worn-out.

FirstFreedom
February 7, 2006, 10:17 PM
CZ hasn't had barrels blow up and hurt their users, unlike Tikka. Yes that is true, not a rumor. Not saying the Tikkas aren't good - I'd sure as heck take one. My brother's CZ 550 in .270 win is very accurate out of the box - for your purposes, it doesn't matter if it's a 1" or 1.5" gun - it'll kill the deer regardless. The set trigger of the CZ does allow for better practical accuracy with practice. And yes the CZ 550s are made in Czech Republic, in a factory world-renowned for decades for quality guns. And that's pretty ballsy of you, to accuse CZ of outright fraud, that they shot a target with a gun other than the one packed in the box with it. If you've got some evidence, you could sue them - maybe you should.

thunderboomer
February 7, 2006, 10:26 PM
It is the cats meow baby!

Tikka barrels are made by Sako. Sako will not let a barrel leave it's factory unless in can put 5, thats right, count em, five shots into an inch at least. If you measure a quarter it's right at 1 inch.

I considered long and hard and after working the trigger and action on several cz's there is no comparison in my humble opinion. I have not picked up a cz that I could not readily bind the action. I can't bind my tikka action no matter how I have pushed torqued and twisted.

And I don't think cz triggers are even in the same ball park. Althought I have only tested 527's and 550's.

Tikka's tops!

You won't be sorry. Now that I have the laminated though I would get the synthetic instead.

thunderboomer
February 7, 2006, 10:30 PM
I love cz handguns. Some of the best made ever. Just thought I should mention that I am a huge HUGE cz fan.

Buy the tikka!

marks655
February 7, 2006, 10:56 PM
And that's pretty ballsy of you, to accuse CZ of outright fraud, that they shot a target with a gun other than the one packed in the box with it. If you've got some evidence, you could sue them - maybe you should.

Take a break. And go buy a Tikka.:D

marks655
February 7, 2006, 10:58 PM
I too own a CZ.

A CZ52. Now that is a fine gun.

RugerOldArmy
February 7, 2006, 11:09 PM
Lol!...neither is a comparison to a good BR rifle with say a Stolle/Hall action, Shilen barrel, and a Jewell trigger...in either the precision of construction, or accuracy.

I agree with Firstfreedom. The difference won't matter to a deer hunter, but between the two, the CZ trigger makes it the likely winner in practical terms.

Foxman
February 8, 2006, 06:37 PM
Striker1
Yes I have measured the barrels and some are definitely over size. Had a CZ in 25-06 and it shot ok but never a tack driver. put it over the chrono and more variation in fps than you see with factory ammo normally, put the same ammo through a ruger and the variation was way down and the velocity up by 200 fps ( for the sake of simplicity I have left out all the comparisons and checks like barrel length, twist etc.) tried a winchester 70 and a mannlicher for comparison too all well up on the CZ. Had a similar experience with a 22mag as well. They do ok but are made to a price and it shows. Now the country is free of communism( USSR) I think it will change and improve but it will take a while.

RugerOldArmy
February 8, 2006, 07:51 PM
*EDIT* (It's not worth the effort, and the results would be predictable.)

Marlboro Man
February 8, 2006, 08:36 PM
Just do a little reading at rimfirecentral and see what those guys say about the CZ rimfire rifles. Also do a little reading at some of the other shooting sites and see what they have to say about the CZ's. I think you will see that most people that actually own and shoot CZ rifles will tell you that they are a very good rifle and on top of the game. I think there are bad apples in every bunch and you might be hearing just a few bad reports out of 10,000's of great ones. Do a little research for yourself and take a hard look at the CZ and see what you think about them all before you buy. I think I have read more bad things about CZ rifles in this one thread then I have in the entire few years that I have been dealing with them.:)

As a side note though: I have also heard great things about Tikka. From my understanding, you can't go wrong with a Tikka if that is what you like the best. :)