PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 a couple questions

JagMP
January 26, 2006, 01:08 PM
Ok, so I have been bitten by the bug to get one of these rifles. I am currently in the process of researching manufacturer, style etc., and in that process I came up w/ a couple questions. (I know about AR15.com, I tried looking there and my head is still spinning)
OK:

*What is the difference in a Tac Mount compared to a flat top?
(To me it seems the Tac Mount sticks up higher and will only allow for a small sized scope)

*What kind of scope am I usually seeing on top of these rifles, the ones that are compact in size?

*Can you put any type of sight on these rifles?

*And finally on the flat-top and/or Tac Mount options, does the front steel sight interfere w/ the sight out of the scope? Do you need to get some type of riser so te scope is not in the line of sight of the steel front?

Like I said I just began my search so my questions may seem basic...or pointless, but hey you gotta learn somewhere.

Thanks,

Jared

BigFunWMU
January 26, 2006, 02:53 PM
What is the difference in a Tac Mount compared to a flat top?
(To me it seems the Tac Mount sticks up higher and will only allow for a small sized scope)

On top of the carry handle? You can get all kinds of stuff to put up there too. Even a rail adaptor that screws through the hole in the handle, so you can put pretty much anything up there.

What kind of scope am I usually seeing on top of these rifles, the ones that are compact in size?

Got a picture or link? There are many options here.

Can you put any type of sight on these rifles?

You can put anything on them that will mount to a 1913 rail. Many many different optics are available.

And finally on the flat-top and/or Tac Mount options, does the front steel sight interfere w/ the sight out of the scope? Do you need to get some type of riser so te scope is not in the line of sight of the steel front?

Depends on the setup. Some are designed to co-witness with iron sights, and if you have a flat top front gas block, you can put a flip down sight up there.

These rifles are extremely customizeable, and the more research you do now the happier you will be with what you finally get. As to manufacturers, you really can't go wrong with the big 4; Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt and Rock River Arms. They are all top tier manufacturers with comperable quality.

Lots of stuff out there. Good luck :D

Bobarino
January 26, 2006, 04:07 PM
a tac mount is something you attach to the flat top to mount a scope, red dot etc. some of the more common optics you've probably seen are the Aimpoint red dot (looks like a short stubby scope) and the EOTech (looks like a hooded optic). both are nifty as all get-out.

you can choose to co-witness your optics and iron sights by selecting different mounts for the optics. some will place the red dot right on top of the front sight post of the stock iron sight and some mount the optic higher to get a "lower third co-witness" meaning the front sight post isn't in the way of the dot and if it fails you can transition to the iron sight easily. i don't like any co-witnessing for mine so i installed a flip up rear sight and a flip up front sight so its all out of the way until i want it. mine looks like this:

sights up:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34567&d=1138261632

sights down:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34568&d=1138261729

Bobby

dirksterg30
January 26, 2006, 04:12 PM
JagMP, let me see if I can help; I too have contracted Black Rifle Disease, and I'm looking at the options I want to get on mine.

*What is the difference in a Tac Mount compared to a flat top?
If you are talking about the Rock River Arms Tac Mount, I believe it is designed to work with Aimpoint red-dot sights. According to a person I spoke to at RRA, with an Aimpoint mounted to the Tac Mount, the sights will lower-third co-witness with the Aimpoint (they will be visible through the Aimpoint, but in the lower third of the window).

Some people like this, in case the optic dies you can use the sights instantly. Some do not, so they get folding front and/or rear sights.

*What kind of scope am I usually seeing on top of these rifles, the ones that are compact in size?

Could be the Aimpoint: http://www.eaglefirearms.net/aimpoint.htm
The ACOG: http://www.eaglefirearms.net/Trijicon.htm
or the EOTech: http://www.eaglefirearms.net/eotech.htm

The Aimpoint & EOTEch are 1x magnification, and the ACOG is 4x magnification I believe.

*Can you put any type of sight on these rifles? Do you mean scope/red dot sight/holo sight? If so, then yes, you can probably put just about anything on these. If you mean iron sights, there are dozens of options in that regard - folding sights, tritium night sights, standard sights...

*And finally on the flat-top and/or Tac Mount options, does the front steel sight interfere w/ the sight out of the scope? Do you need to get some type of riser so te scope is not in the line of sight of the steel front?
That depends on the scope mount, and what iron sights you have installed, but generally I would say that unless you get a riser (or have folding sights), the irons will be in the scope.

Depending on the mount, the irons may co-witness (the red dot will sit right on top of the front sight (see this site for a good photo of cowitnessing: http://www.c3junkie.com/uzi/docter.html), or co-witness in the lower third, from what I understand. As I do not have an AR yet, maybe someone else can answer this better.

JagMP
January 27, 2006, 09:56 AM
This is great information guys, I appreciate all your help with this.

Bobarino
January 27, 2006, 01:03 PM
there's ten million and one options for AR's as far as sights and optics (and everything else) are concerned. i suggest just doing some googling and check out www.AR15.com and see what's out there and start narrowing it down a little. don't rush to buy something. take you time and shop around. you're bound to find that setup that is juuuuuuuust right for YOU.

Bobby

Grampa
January 27, 2006, 01:17 PM
BRD is a very expensive malady to treat. Avoid it!

If you persist and succumb, find others that own black rifles (there are many color variations, BTW) and ask to try them out. You may be able to narrow it down to one lower and a couple uppers. Otherwise, you may end up with a half dozen or more of them in your safe with a wide variety of sights and optics. (Don't ask me how I know this...)

And whatever you do, don't get into building your own. Far too much fun and addictive.

American4guns
January 27, 2006, 01:31 PM
I have the A2 model.I have a weaver style rail that screws directly through a hole in the carry handle.I have 2 weaver style mounts one is on a red dot scope,the other is on a holo graph sight.I can change them relatively fast.
I also have the option of going to my iron sights,depending on what,where and when I'm shooting.They make all kinds of rails and mounts for the A2 model aswell as the A3 model.Its a question of your likes and dislikes.

American4guns
January 28, 2006, 08:55 AM
heres a couple pics for you to review

Houndog
January 28, 2006, 11:02 AM
Others have already done a pretty good job at answering your questions, so let me just add a couple of observations concerining scopes which may, or may not be helpful.

With the AR you have a ton of scope options, particularly if you go with a flat top (which would be a better alternative than going with carry handle sight if you plan to use scope exclusively - at least IMHO).

The determining factor will be what you intend to use the rifle for. (This will also help you select appropriate rifle). If you want something for shooting small critters accross large distances you will need an accurate gun, with a longer heavier barrel, and a bipod attachment. A match trigger would also be nice. For a scope you will want a high quality optic with substantial magnification. It's ok if the scope is fairly large and heavy since you will be mostly benching the gun or shooting off a bipod.

If you are looking for a CQB gun, you want something lighter and with shorter barrel. You will also want a scope with little or no magnification. Two most popular choices are Aimpoint and Eotech. They are both excellent scopes, but if you can try before buying, you will probably find that one just seems to work better for you. I personally just like the Eotech better. But there are many who swear by their Aimpoints.

Finally, you have a third compromise choice - scopes with 2-6X magnification. Again a number of models to choose from. Trijicon ACOGS are one popular choice. These scopes can definitely be used for CQB, but also provide you with some magnification and can really help out for shots out to about 250-300 yards (again depending on the size of your target). ACOGS come in a variety of magnifications and either compact or full size variety. Also they offer a number of different reticle styles including chevrons, cross hairs and the ever popular ("donut of death"). They are pricey, but excellent rugged scopes.

Hope this helps. I know the choices can be a little overwhelming, but I think the best starting point is to think about what you want to use the gun for. That should help eliminate some of the options out there.

JagMP
January 28, 2006, 12:33 PM
Once again this information is incredible. I am definately gonna take my time in looking around to see what I want. I have been all over the internet looking at various models, options etc. You guys have given me exactly what I needed. I'm not knocking AR15.com at all, I figure I can take the info I have gotten here and start to lurk around at AR15.com.

Thanks again,

Jared