PDA

View Full Version : Remingtom 740..opinions???

aspen1964
January 26, 2006, 11:46 AM
..someone offered me a real nice 740 woodsmaster in 30-06..any opinions of this rifle??...thanx...

.45 Vet
January 26, 2006, 11:52 AM
They've been known to take a lot of Pennsylvania deer. But I will tell you that the carbine (short barrel) version will get your attention with a 165 or heavier loading when you touch it off.

Jack O'Conner
January 28, 2006, 10:49 AM
Remington's 740 had many problems. They fixed their problems with the model 742. If it were me, I'd look for a good condition 742 or 7400.
Jack

purpledeermeat
February 1, 2006, 12:36 PM
I've read the 740 and the 742 are said to start having problems after about 1000 rounds. I have a 740 that was my Dad's, he got it in the early 60's, and I haven't had any problems yet. I love it.
Check out the thread below, all about the 740 series history.
Scroll way down to dino's posting.

http://archeryworld.com/bows/forums/Topic.tpl?MessageID=20060124181913

Noban
February 1, 2006, 03:14 PM
I have a 1979 742 that functions alright. I don't think it was shot very much by the previous owner, so no bolt/carrier damage yet. Mine shoots real nice with PMC 150gr; never had a jam or misfire, although the bolt only occasionally locks back on the last round. The front sling swivel on my BDL model is odd. It consists of an elongated bolt with a swivel post attached that also serves to hold on the forearm. After a day of field carry, the bolt tends to work loose and the forearm wiggles. Annoying.

These rifles balance the best when field carried by wrapping your hand around the reciever. Hence, you're going to get rust and pitting eventually if you forget a wipe down. Mine came to me covered in small rust pits. I sanded down the receiver and refinished on Brownell's Oxpho Blue. Not a great finish, not ugly, and good field protection.

This one came to me real cheap and it's my foul weather gun. I'd never buy another.

Kev

dale taylor
February 1, 2006, 04:37 PM
I have a 740 purchased in ~1960. Many thousand rounds. Zero problems of any kind. I'd buy another. Two sons have also fired extensively. Don't hesitate if price right.

Big-Foot
February 2, 2006, 01:25 AM
Very nice link Purpledeermeat. So instead of designing out the battering bolt lug problem Remington gave us quick fixes and new designations. 740 became 742, then model 4, then 7400.

My question is, have Remington fixed the design yet or did they just slap on a new stock and call it..........TA DA, the new improved (trust us this time)750! http://i.timeinc.net/fieldstream/newguns06/rem_mod750_lg.jpg

maas
February 2, 2006, 05:16 AM
i own a 740 carbine 06 i shoot 185 seirra game kings with it was grandfathers may a deer taken with that gun but on mine you have to have a rutine i oil it in the morning hunt come back for lunch shoot some more rem lube in it hunt. but if i was too concerned about it id buy a model 70 and call it good

buy the way this is the one and only remington ill own i don't know what will happen now since winchester is no more i guess ill have to start buying used guns or more bar brownings