PDA

View Full Version : a new twist to the same old ak questions

badaceds650
January 25, 2006, 06:43 PM
what can you do to get a ak more accurate besides hand loading cause im going to start doing that and im going to put on a scope why i ask is i want a varmit rifle 200-300 yard gun i was thinking about getting a rossi or handi rifle in 7.62x39 but that got me thinking can i make my ak more accurate the best ive got out of it is 4" group of 5 at 100 with open sights and wolf ammo man the stock sights suck!!!

MTMilitiaman
January 25, 2006, 06:51 PM
The Mojo ghost ring sights run about $40 and will give you a much better sight picture. You will still be limited to the AK's short sight radius, but I think the sight picture is cleaner and faster. You might want to give them a try.

How's your trigger? Another $50 can give you a lighter trigger. The TAPCO G2 unit is pretty decent and drops right in. There are other units that are adjustable but they ran $80 or so.

Other than that, the only thing you can really do that I am aware of is getting a stock set that fits you so the rifle is a little bit more comfortable. Maybe if varmints for you was coyotes, I could be optimistic about the AK as a varmint gun, but for ground squirrels and such, even an accurate AK like the VEPR or Krebs is a 2 MOA proposition. I am a big Kalashnikov fan and will be the first to defend my pet rifle. I know it doesn't get the credit it deserves even in the accuracy department, but it is no poodle shooter. If it has one thing going for it, Stoner's abomination has accuracy. The AK is a tough, reliable carbine designed to keep them COM on a human at 300 yards. Expecting it to accomplish this feat on a ground squirrel at that range is, well, a bit much IMO.

badaceds650
January 25, 2006, 07:06 PM
ive got a advanced tech stock that fits me better but ive havent tried it out yet just in the house as far as the trigger goes mine is very light 1 pound 4 ounces but it does have a llllloooonnnggggg travel but that dont really bug me cause its like you take up the slack then do the brat thing and it like you have a good trigger as for the varmits id be hunting would be coyotes fox rabbits that about it ground hogs are an endangered animal here

DWARREN123
January 25, 2006, 10:39 PM
The AK and clones/variants are made for combat accuracy not hunting accuracy, probably cost more to get hunting accuracy out of it than it cost.

Good luck on your search for accuracy.