PDA

View Full Version : Scope tips...

RYC1966
January 25, 2006, 04:26 PM
I am new to the site as well as a beginer with the .50 bmg, with advice from a local show, in Ohio, I started with an AR lower and the Ultralite upper. What I am looking for is a scope that will satisfy a beginer range as well as the range of my set-up. It was suggested to me to buy a nightforce scope, but that alone does not narrow it done to a specific model. From what I see that is one of the name brands, but possibly overkill for me. I would like to progress, so the cheapest way is not what I'm looking for. This topic may already have been beaten to death, any help/model numbers would be greatly recieved. Thank you.

Ryan

DnPRK
January 25, 2006, 05:28 PM
Ok, I'll narrow it down for you.

Get a Nightforce NSX 5x22x50 with RP2 reticle. They are built to withstand the recoil of a 50BMG that would destroy a lesser scope after a few rounds. Buy the best and cry once. The next in line would be a Leupold Mk4 6.5x20x50, but they are not any cheaper and the glass doesn't have the clarity of the Nightforce.

I have a Nightforce on my Windrunner.

OneInTheChamber
January 25, 2006, 09:05 PM
Make sure you have proper eye relief on whatever you mount on a .50bmg. Or else you'll get the biggest magnum eye ever (For those who don't know its a perfect little black, bruised ring around your shooting eye caused by the scope when it recoils into your face).

RYC1966
January 25, 2006, 09:18 PM
I follow the point of buying quality the first time, and with that what rings would be suggested. I was told Badger, but I do not know if they offer more than metal(iron, steel, titanium). It seems there is always something better, I don't want to make any mistakes along the way.

Ryan

RYC1966
February 1, 2006, 09:49 AM
I now have a nice scope and in the owners book it says to use a 30mm lapping bar once the rings are mounted to the base. I work with tight tollerances, and understand that the performance of the scope depends on the mount-should I have a pro/skilled gunsmith do this? Can this be done accuratley with a id mic and a method of removing material? Should locktite be used on the hardware?

Also as far as I have looked into it, the rounds I will be shooting first will be from a local show and I plan on returning the brass and moving foreward. I like more than one oppinion, and at 200-300 yds I don't plan on shooting the best rounds available, but I don't want to waste my time either. Any suggestions? Surplus, or stick with the local guys that I've bought from in the past.

Thanks again, Ryan