PDA

View Full Version : new to long guns, closing eyes?

alexander hamilton
January 25, 2006, 04:12 PM
hi,
i am a longtime lurker, first time poster. i have been handgunning for a while and wanted to get into hunting so i went to wally world and looked at a rem 700. problem, i can only close my right eye or both. i cant seem to close just my left eye. i tried and probably looked really stupid. anyway, i would like to be able to shoot a rifle right handed. any suggestions?

myrondizzo
January 25, 2006, 04:18 PM
a patch?:)

kozak6
January 25, 2006, 04:49 PM
Better yet: learn to shoot with both eyes open. Trust me.

drhunta2
January 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
How good of shooter are you? I tend to be better with both eyes closed.:rolleyes:

Willy T
January 25, 2006, 07:06 PM
I shoot with both eyes open but only "look" through one eye. Maybe because of looking through survey instruments 12 hours a day I dont know. Friends say it looks funny but it works for me.

Picher
January 25, 2006, 07:21 PM
Shooting with both eyes open works if your master eye is the one you're sighting with. How do you know which is your master eye? Point your finger at an object with both eyes open. While doing that, cover your left eye. If you're sighting with that eye, suddenly the finger is not lined up with the object. That means that you're left-eye dominant. If the finger you see continues to be pointed at the object with the left eye covered, you're right-eye dominant.

I usually advise beginning rifle shooters to use their dominant eye and if left-eyed and right handed, to shoot left-handed, because it's easier to learn to shoot properly when using your dominant eye than using the dominant hand and "wrong" eye.

Picher

TCman
January 25, 2006, 07:27 PM
learn to shoot left handed.

P-990
January 25, 2006, 09:10 PM
Sounds like you are left-eye dominant. Only cure for that is to shoot left-handed.

As an example: My girlfriend is cross-eye/hand dominant and has a very, very difficult time trying to hit anything when shooting right handed. So I taught her how to shoot left-handed and she was amazed at how well she could do.

From this, I have learned how to be able to operate and demonstrate most of my firearms left-handed. Looks and feels awkward if you learn one way and then have to do the other also, so best to learn using the side you will get your best hits from.

(I'm very, very mildly ambidextrous, if such a thing is possible. I surprised myself when I showed her that an M-1 Carbine won't throw brass in your face left-handed. I hit my target each time! More importantly, I didn't get brassed! :eek: )

HankL
January 26, 2006, 08:50 AM
Close both eyes and rely on Zen. :p
Seriously, you will learn with practice.

alexander hamilton
January 26, 2006, 09:27 AM
i really appreciate all the replys. i think it is wise to learn rifle shooting with my dominant left eye. i will just have to learn with my left hand and try to pick up right handed rifle shooting when i am more comfortable. this whole thing is terribly embarrassing since i shoot a handgun reasonably well. whats worse, i have been studying rifles hard for some time in anticipation of such purchase. naturally i have been talking about them quite a bit and discussing things like rem700vs. win70 and ar vs. fal. that lead those around me to assume i was an experienced rifle shooter. well, thats what they get for assuming right?

thanks all

taralon
January 26, 2006, 09:56 AM
Being Right Hand Left eye dominant really is the way things work.

The left side of the brain controlls the muscles on the right side of the body from approx the lips down, and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body from the lip down. They also recieve the sensory information from that same area. The sensory inputs and muscle control from approx the lip up, feed into the same hemisphere of the brain that they are on, left eye, left ear, left part of the brain. Vision is key in this, because when working with something directly or close to directly in front of your right side, only the left eye provides depth perception information. Try this sometime, stand in front of a hanging branch that is approx eye level directly in front of the right shoulder, cover the left eye, and try and reach out and touch the branch with your right forefinger without disturbing it. Very difficult if not impossible to do. Now cover the right eye and do the same with the right finger. Easy as cake. Why? The offset of the eye from the hand allows you to judge how far away your finger is from the object.

Human's are wired to be hand eye cross dominant. Its a fact of biology. Being right handed means that your left brain hemisphere is the dominant one when it comes to muscle control and sensory manipulation. The left eye is also going to be dominant. Now that doesn't mean that you won't get people that aren't just as good shooting right handed, right eyed, as the Human is an exceptional animal and responds well to training. With training one can get the right eye and the right part of the brain to take more of a load with certain sensory inputs than it would otherwise do. Some people are more 'dominant' with one side than others. Some people are so mildly dominant that they are for all intents and purposes 'ambidextrous'. Other have trained with their 'weak' side so much that their strong side is more clumsy doing things. I know someone who writes right handed, bats right handed, does everything right handed, because since he was a kid he was trained to do that, but in truth, he's probably left handed as everything he does, he always tries to do left handed first.