View Full Version : Colt 80 Series parts

January 17, 2000, 04:49 PM
George-I am thinking about picking up a Colt 80 Series Gov't. model. The previous owner removed the safety plunger and spring. I would like to replace these parts. Do I need anything else to return to original configuration? Can I do this myself? I have never worked on an 80 Series, but have worked on quite a few 70 and Pre-70 Series guns. Would Colt send these parts to me for installation? Can I get these from Brownell's? Just point me in the right direction and I'm there. Thanks.


January 17, 2000, 07:28 PM
aztec: The 80 system has two frame mounted levers that allow trigger movm't to actuate the plunger and it's spring. They should still be in place to the right of the hammer. With the slide group removed, you will see it arc upward while pulling the trigger. Do take care to restrain the forward motion of the hammer so it doesn't peen against the frame.
There is also a special extractor w/a crescent shaped cut to allow for the upword movm't of the plunger. Lastly, a firing pin to allow for same. These last two items may have been replaced w/70 series performance parts which are incompatible w/safety mechanism. Check this closely!

January 18, 2000, 05:50 AM
A shematic for the Series 80 is on my Message Board at http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb331278

"The Gun from Down Under !"
E-mail [email protected]
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]