View Full Version : Have a broken case in a glock 20 barrel

November 27, 2005, 10:47 PM
I was shooting today and had a case seperation in a Jarvis .400 barrel mounted on a Glock 20. Yes, the whole front half of the case is now lodged in the barrel, tightly.

Who can I send this to for removal. I have no local smiths that I trust. Also, I would prefer to only send the barrel if possible, due to the difficulty and cost of sending a complete pistol.


November 28, 2005, 04:02 PM
Get a bar of cerrosafe from Brownells and do it yourself . All you have to do is take the barrle out ,put it in a vice .,plug the barrle with a tight patch ,just in front of the chamber ,melt the cerrosafe (melts at 190F ) .then pore the cerrosafe into the chamber ,let it cool then tap out the broken case with a brass rod or wooden dowle . I'v done it severl times on guns brought into the shop . works grate.

Hunter Customs
November 28, 2005, 07:43 PM
I've dealt with this same type of separation in both handguns and rifles many times. To remove the brass that's in the chamber take a bore brush (copper or bronze) that is a little larger than the brass that's stuck in the chamber, pull the brush into the brass from the chamber end of the barrel, than push sharply the opposite direction; when done correctly this will pop the brass right out without any damage to the barrel or chamber.
If you can't get it out let me know.
Bob Hunter

November 28, 2005, 08:02 PM
Sometimes putting in a freezer helps as there is adifferent expansion rate between brass and steel. Also a penetrating oil [soak for a day] may help.

November 29, 2005, 11:18 PM
Well, I have tried the brush method and the freezer, no luck. Mr. Hunter, might this be something I could send to you for some help? The cerrosafe sounds good, but I have no real method to melt it.


Lazy D
November 30, 2005, 08:26 AM
You can put it in a tin can, set it on a coffee burner and it will melt just fine.

The best way I've found is to take a chamber reamer, put it down inside the stuck case. As you start to turn it, it will grab like it is going to cut. It then start turning the stuck case. It usually comes right out.

Good Luck.

Hunter Customs
November 30, 2005, 09:19 AM
Yes you can send me the barrel from the gun and I'll remove the brass. Whatever you do, do not gouge the barrel with anything. If you wish to send me the barrel please advise me when it was shipped.
Also please feel free to call me Bob.
Bob Hunter