PDA

View Full Version : New Marlin 336 30-30

cobra81
November 23, 2005, 11:45 PM
I just got a new Marlin 30-30 levergun and I love it! I had narrowed it down to either a Winchester Model 94 or a Marlin 336. After my first time shooting it today, I couldn't be happier with my choice! I had heard a lot about the inherent innacuracy of lever-guns, so I wasn't expecting a lot; I just wanted to own one. I was shocked when right out of the box it shot a decent (for me) little group at 100 yds, with the cheap 3-9x40 scope that came with the rifle. I dialed in a click or two of windage and a little elevation, and got a little tighter! One adjustment later I drilled a golf ball dead center.....I was more than satisfied, especially since my expectations had been so low. It's definitely a keeper! I was using Winchester 150 gr. flatpoint bullets; anybody have a favorite bullet that works well for them in the Marlin?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/81cobra/FirstGroup.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/81cobra/2ndGroup.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/81cobra/3rdandlastshot.jpg

JohnKSa
November 24, 2005, 12:04 AM
Lever guns are neat. I know that's an inane comment, but they're just plain neat. I need another one... :D

omegapd
November 24, 2005, 04:12 AM
I liked my 336 so much that I bought another one when the right deal came along. Much better built than the Winchester and without the "rattle" that W's are known for...:D

Both of my Marlins shoot the 170g Winchesters from Wal Mart better than the 150. Don't know why, but they just get tighter groups.

Enjoy it!

EW

joab
November 24, 2005, 07:19 AM
Mine seems to prefer 170 also

mtn. man
November 24, 2005, 09:58 PM
my first new centerfire rifle was a Marlin 336.
For years it was my only centerfire and i used it for everything.
For groundhogs and coyotes i used 125gr bullets and could more often than not make shots at 200yds and maybe a little more.
I have not used it in years' dont deer hunt anymore and have some better choices for varmints.
I will most likely give it to my grandson when he's older with the hope he will enjoy the use of a good gun as much as i did.
Hope you enjoy it give it decent care and your grandson might enjoy it also.

Toney
November 25, 2005, 08:30 PM
Them marlins shoot!!! but them winchesters are cool Have always bought marlins because of scoping some day i'll buy a 94

mtnboomer
November 25, 2005, 08:45 PM
Winchester 94s are only a shadow of their original selves since USRAC started building them. Marlin 336s are stiffer, stouter and more accurate than 94s.

Mikeyboy
November 25, 2005, 09:57 PM
I had a marlin 336 and loved it. It was my deer hunting rifle for about 14 years but finally sold it because I had not rifle hunted for 5 years (Where I live Bow hunting is a 1/2 hour drive, rifle hunting is an usually an overnight stay and a 3+ hour drive). I had the same scope (3x to 9x) and honestly the rifle in not inaccurate its just 30/30 is not a flat shooting round. As you can see it will shoot fine at 100 yards, with pratice you can hit 150 yards, beyond that it gets a little hairy because the bullet will start to dive. The recoil is not as bad as let's say a 30/06, so you can shoot more without killing your shoulder .

Picher
November 26, 2005, 07:10 AM
Lever guns are fine with receiver sights and on shots under 150 yards, which is where most deer are shot in Maine. However, a Marlin with a scope is a pretty heavy rifle, compared with some lighter-weight bolt actions.

The .30-06 fired from a Remington 700 with a good recoil pad has about the same felt recoil as an iron-sighted .30-30 Win. 94 with a plastic or steel buttplate. I've shot hundreds of rifles and found that stock design and recoil pads make a huge difference in how recoil is perceived. The Remingon 700 and Winchester 70 stocks are among the best. Savage 110 series sporters are, well...SAVAGE in comparison.

Picher

Picher
November 26, 2005, 07:12 AM
Double post due to database error.

Picher