PDA

View Full Version : USMC sniper rifle - M40A1

Lightsped
November 12, 2005, 09:47 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the current M40A1 sniper rifle is based on the Remington 700. Which version of the 700 most closely resembles the M40A1?

DnPRK
November 12, 2005, 09:56 PM
None do. The M40 is completely rebuilt by USMC armorers.

It has as much in common with a stock 700 as a NASCAR race car has with a showroom Chevy.

DimitriS
November 12, 2005, 10:28 PM
Lightsped,

Go to Remington's Law Enforcement site. They list a M40 version they produce for the law enforcement markets and a M24 version. :)

M24 SWS can be had as the full "kit" http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/m24.htm
The M40: http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/40xs.htm

Personally if I had the money to buy ether one I would get the M24 they sport iron sights and the stock looks better to me :cool:

DnPRK,

I think your analogy is abit extreme :p

Dimitri

Lightsped
November 12, 2005, 10:39 PM
What is the difference in the M24 vs the M40?

DimitriS
November 12, 2005, 10:44 PM
The M24 is the US Army's version of the M700 to meet there requirements they also wanted iron sights. The M40 is the US Marines version and they didnt want back up iron sights.

The M24 also has a more classic looking stock if you looked at the links. I dont like that boxy look of the buttstock of the M40 personally.

Dimitri

woodland
November 12, 2005, 10:57 PM
What is the difference in the M24 vs the M40?

And one of them, I think it is the M24, has a long action, because they wanted to have the option to convert them to 300 win. mag.

USMCGrunt
November 12, 2005, 11:10 PM
Yeah, that's the reason the M-24 has feeding problems using the 7.62 NATO while the M-40 series doesn't. Now I may be mistaken but has anybody seen firsthand an M-24 actually converted over to .300 Magnum? Also, I think the McMillian stock used on the M-40 is light years ahead of the H-S Precision stock the Army uses on the M-24. My personal Remington 700VS originally came with the H-S Precision stock from the factory. I replaced it with a McMillian A4 and it's a lot better stock than what the factory stock was.

woodland
November 12, 2005, 11:40 PM
From what I have read, it seems that though they wanted the long action, they really have not used it. I think there are a few that have been set up in 300 win mag, but for the most part, I think it was kind of a pointless idea.

araebisu
November 12, 2005, 11:46 PM
i agree, anything that you would take the time and effort to convert it to 300 mag for would probably already be dead before you got done because of some other sniper whis a SASR ;). is there really any added range and power that is useable with the win mag over the 308? i think if any, it would be neglegable, and not especially cost effective. but since when did the military care about saving money?

also, and i may be wrong, but i believe the internal magazine of the m40 is winchester, and im pretty sure the remington produced 40xs doesnt use any winchester parts. it really is a totally custom built rifle, one at a time in quantico, va by specially trained marines. well, with all the outsourcing going on lately, it could be civilians now ;)

Gewehr98
November 12, 2005, 11:53 PM
DnPRK,

I think your analogy is a bit extreme

As do I, and I fisked his same analogy thoroughly over on THR. ;)

The USMC M40A1-A3 series uses Winchester Model 70 steel floorplate and triggerguard assemblies, modified to fit the screw spacing of the Remington 700 short action. Nowadays, just go to Brownell's and buy a steel replacement set of bottom metal for the Remington 700 and be done with it. But the Marine armorers at Quantico need to earn their keep somehow, nothing they're doing to build that M40A3 is cutting-edge in this day and age of long-range precision rifles. You want cutting-edge? Take a look at Zak's AI precision rifle.

araebisu
November 13, 2005, 02:25 PM
nothing in the corps is cutting edge

rn22723
November 15, 2005, 06:49 AM
Rem offers M24 clone of the US Army rifle, but the 40X tactical is not a clone of the USMC rifle. Remington builds the M24, Quantico Marines build the M40A3 one rifle at a time in house.

Gewehr98
November 15, 2005, 07:52 AM
Rem offers M24 clone of the US Army rifle, but the 40X tactical is not a clone of the USMC rifle.

However, the extra attention that Remington gives their Model 40X tactical mirrors that which the boys at Quantico give their 700 receivers as they build the USMC M40-A3. ;)