PDA

View Full Version : Why did Remington drop the Sendero??

brianidaho
November 11, 2005, 01:53 AM
I did some searching and could not come up with an answer to this. Any ideas why Remington dropped the Sendero from the lineup, or why they don't have any big game calibers (with the exception of .308 in a couple of packages), in a heavy barrel M700. I understand that you can get .300WM in the 700P, but thats a fairly pricy package, and pretty heavy for most big game hunters. I'd really like a M700 Sendero or VS SF in 7mm or .300 WSM. Maybe there wasn't enough demand, but I see a pretty good number of Senderos around these parts.

Is there some fear amoung Remington's legal types that a heavy hunting rifle looks too much like a (gasp) "sniper rifle" to the sheep? I'd really hate to see big green going the way of S-W and Bill Ruger trying to pander to the leftists.

Bri

joshua
November 11, 2005, 04:38 AM
BrianIdaho, I don't have an answer but I have noticed that also. If you look around gunsamerica.com there are some Sendero in the SAUM cartridges still going cheap if you want to take advantage of those. I'm in Korea for a long tour and I would surely buy one if I can. I really don't know what Remington is doing but dropping their Sendero line will leave out a certain niche. Remember what happened to the Winchester Laredo? They were some exellent models that not too many folks are buying by the boat load, although selling at a steady pace in a small amount still went to the chopping block. The way I see it I have no choice but the Coyote Lite in 300 WSM since the Remmy SAUM are not much of a seller. josh

mete
November 11, 2005, 06:18 AM
Companies drop items from production mostly for one reason -they aren't selling well.

brianidaho
November 11, 2005, 10:12 AM
Joshua, I think we're in the same boat on this one. By all accounts the Coyote and Coyote Lite look to be excellent rifles, with nothing else really in their class in big game calibers. The Savage 12FVSS I believe is close, but by all accounts I have heard the stock is a POS (too flexible, the ones I handled you can push the forend all over with your fingertip) and would need to be upgraded. I'd seriously consider a VSF, VS SF, or Sendero if Remington made them in the short mags. They do have the .308 in the VSF, but no magnum calibers. This isn't all bad...it makes our decisions easier!

As to Senderos not selling well, I see quite a few around this area, and I expect they are popular with the "beanfield" whitetail hunters in the south and southeast. Profits had to be very good on these compared to an ADL as well, even if they don't sell nearly as many.

Bri

joshua
November 11, 2005, 10:39 AM
brianidaho,
I'm in the same subject as you are venturing in. I was thinking Sendero but it seems like the heavy calibers in this model are drying up. I've seen a 338 Ultra in a Sendero being fired at a range in Utah before I left and that thing sure is a kicker. I was thinking of a 300 SAUM in a Sendero and then have it reamed to 300 WSM if it is possible at all, I'm sure a good riflesmith can make the call if it's possible. Here's a link if you want to consider that.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=39663711

If I was in the U.S. right now I'd get this one and play around with a box or two of SAUM then ream it if the WSM is deemed necessary. With the price it sure has a lot to offer. I'm thinking the market is drying up and the prices will start going up. josh

brianidaho
November 11, 2005, 11:11 AM
I was looking at gunbroker as well after posting, I'm suprised at the $150 difference in price between the SAUM Senderos and the .300WM and 7mm Mag. Looks like a bargin. Wonder what it would cost to rechamber to WSM? I need to do more research at shortmags.org, I seem to recall some issues with the 700 short action being more limited than the Winnie with respect to magazine length and cartridge OAL, I need to check into that some more. It does seem that the WSM rounds are more popular than the SAUMs, gotta wonder if the Remmies are going to survive.

Due to budget constraints I am probably going to go with the Coyote (heavy), they are on gunbroker for $430 or so, and at some point upgrade to a synthetic stock. One site shows the Bell and Carlson Coyote Lite stock for around $200 IIRC, I think this would fit on a Coyote "heavy", and drop its weight a bit, maybe 8 1/4 or so (IIRC the Lite is 7 3/4, heavy with lam stock is 8 3/4). This gets me the rifle for $675 or so (FFL transfers) with an extra stock. Coyote Lites seem to run in the mid $700 range ($729 locally at Sportsman's Warehouse).

Fun to do the research. It doesn't look like any of these choices (Coyote, Lite, or re-chambered Sendero) could be bad. From what I have read on shortmags, it sounds like these rounds are real nice to shoot in a mid-weight rifle like we have in mind. Personally, carrying the extra pound or so in the rifle doesn't bother me, even in our terrain. If i was that weight sensitive, could always skip a meal or two :)

When do you leave Korea? Bet you are looking forward to coming home.

Bri

joshua
November 11, 2005, 01:47 PM
brianidaho,
Since the Browning A-Bolt has a shorter mag length than the Win 70 short action I'm thinking the 300 WSM will fit in the 700. I remember a 284 Winchester fitting a 700 and the WSM are about the same length. If you find out and confirm the length please fill me in I would appreciate it.

I have about 28 more months here and still thinking if I should do one year in Utah before retiring from the service. josh

Picher
November 11, 2005, 10:21 PM
IMHO, for one shot, the standard barrels shoot just as well as the heavy ones, on game at least. The wider Sendero stocks are stable on rests, but the standard Remington synthetic stocks do very well also.

I hunted with a Rem 700 BDL that was glassbedded and freefloated, for over 25 years. That rifle would group under 1/2" at 100 yards, often 3/8". What's the matter with that? It only weighs about 7 1/2 lbs. and has great figure in the stock. Sometimes I regret giving it to my son, but he loves it more than I did. It's killed about 30 deer (only one per year allowed in Maine) and it's still shooting great.

Picher

Remmy
November 12, 2005, 07:08 PM
Picher...i was going to mention something about that too. I hunt with a sendero in .270 and it groups the same...5 shots almost go into one hole. The thing i noticed is that i hunt with some cousins that both had remingtons 700 adl's and theres are extremely accurate, seen them shooting as you described at the range with theres too. These guns will shoot as accurate as you can get with out reloading your ammo...still...

joshua
November 12, 2005, 07:24 PM
I have a Mark X in .270 Win that will put 130 grainers in .75" and 90 - 110 grainers in .4" and it's my main deer rifle, but playing w/ beanfield - semi tactical type rifles is always fun. There is something good about a medium to heavy fluted barrel to use for hunting (though not for hiking over hills and mountains) using an ATV, and also mostly range work is where I have the most fun with that type of rifle. It decreases recoil thus increasing the fun factor by reducing shooter fatigue and there's always something about a rifle that has taken game. It's all for fun and the adventure. josh

brianidaho
November 15, 2005, 12:25 AM
My current big game rifle is a mid-70's M700 BDL in 30-06. It's accurate enough for realistic hunting conditions, around 1 1/4" with cheap factory ammo. I finally put a bipod on it this year, it's the best investment I have made for field shooting. I currently only shoot a few times a year, not enought to get the skills I want with this rifle. With a rifle with no recoil pad and shooting 180 grains, its about as much as I want to put many rounds down range with.

I'l with Joshua, I want something that I can enjoy putting 50 rounds downrange in an afternoon, and work on longer range shooting (400-800 yards). I figure if I can punch paper at 800, an elk at 450 or so should be a piece of cake. I'd prefer something a bit heavier than today's typical lightweight sporter, while the rifle can shoot just fine, its not that much fun to put a bunch of rounds downrange and gain the skills necessary to make those long shots. I'd also like to have a synthetic stock, I spent all day yesterday in the rain and wet snow...kind of hard on the walnut. I haven't noticed issues with the zero changing though. Besides, as Joshua says, there is just something kind of cool about a "tactical" style rifle...just have to pull it off on a budget.

I'm torn between the .300 WSM and the 7mm. With 160 grains the 7mm shoots flatter than the .300 with 165's and I can always play with 140's for punching paper. On the other hand..the .30 cal has such a wide selection of bullets available. I'll need to get dies and work up some handloads, can't afford the factory ammo. So far I only load for handgun rounds.

Bri

Picher
November 15, 2005, 06:55 AM
When shooting from the bench or prone with a heavy recoiling rifle, I like to use a PAST Magnum shoulder pad. On heavier magnums, I'll put a soft sandbag made from a bank money bag between the butt and my shoulder. That adds mass to the rifle and spreads the recoil over a larger area of my shoulder. I can shoot a heavy magnum from the bench all day that way.

There are all kinds of recoil-absorbing rests, but I don't feel that the POI would be quite the same as firing from the shoulder with my left hand under the forend on the front rest. A hard front bag or other rest tends to make the rounds go a bit high, especially with a non-freefloating barrel.

Picher

bill k
November 15, 2005, 09:40 AM
I hunted this year with my sendero 300 ultra mag. The recoil isn't the problem, its recoil is less than my 7 mag or a 300 weatherby mag.
The problem with the rifle is the weight.
I'm going back to my 7 mag or 25-06 next year.
I'll use my sendero to blow **** up at 500 yards at the rang.:D