PDA

View Full Version : BAM!! Now what?

BluesBlade
September 23, 2005, 08:30 PM
A shooter fires off a round and finds the recoil and report impressive. His face is stinging and he looks at the 1911 in his hand to observe that the base of the magazine is blown out and the mag spring is sticking out the butt of the gun. The slide is partially back being held there by a case that ruptured where it is unsupported at the ramp of the barrel. The primer is also blown out.

Question: What should be checked before this gun is fired again?

rdebert
September 23, 2005, 08:32 PM
The physical well being of the shooter. Everything is downhill after that.

Garand Guy
September 23, 2005, 09:26 PM
The nearest trash can to dump it in. It also doesn't help when you load your own ammo with C-4 rather than gun powder. :D

HighValleyRanch
September 23, 2005, 09:28 PM
First Berettas and now 1911's!
Told you glocks weren't the only ones!

Kabooms have been around as long as firecrackers! :D

BluesBlade
September 23, 2005, 10:01 PM
. . . factory round. Shooter's fine.

Now about the gun?

Majic
September 23, 2005, 10:20 PM
Not to make fun, but if you don't know what to check then you probably don't know how to check it so a trip to the gunsmith may be the best option.

ShelbyV8
September 23, 2005, 10:21 PM
Field strip check barrel for being plugged and/or a bulge. Clean and reassemble check for functioning. If you are not real familuar with weapons have it checked out by a compent gunsmith. Before I did to much I would contact the ammo manufacturer with lot number of the ammo and see what they want to do.

Ozzieman
September 24, 2005, 06:28 AM
Any gun that has that much going wrong should be checked by a good gun smith,
Second would be to check my underware, they probably need replacing.

Zekewolf
September 24, 2005, 07:25 AM
Ship the pistol back to the manufacturer. I'm sure they'll replace it free, just like Glock would.

BluesBlade
September 24, 2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks, Shelby and Majic.

As you can read from the description of the incident it seems it was either a plugged barrel or an overloaded round.

The round before it exited the barrel with no problem. So I'm left with an overpressure round.

I made the mistake in this post of not explaining that the gun appears to be in OK condition. Nothing broke. Barrel appears fine.

What I was trying to get at is if, after detail stripping the gun and everything looks good, are there still problems that may not be apparent. My apologies for not being more explicit.

So, let me re-phrase the first question and ask a second:

1. If everything appears normal after an incident like this are there any problems that could be lurking that one might easily miss or that would not be readily apparent (like weakened steal in the barrel)?

2. Are there any other causes for a case to rupture at the unsupported part of the barrel besides a plugged barrel or overpressure round?

Again, my apologies for not being more detailed in my question,

Zekewolf
September 24, 2005, 09:01 AM
If you had a plugged barrel, you'd more-than-likely see a bulge in the barrel. Could have been an overload (you did say factory loads, though, didn't you?), or just a bad piece of brass. If you were using factory loads, the manufacturer would probably make the repairs free. I don't know of any kind of visual inspection that would tell you if the barrel is still safe. Chances are, it is, as the failure of the brass @ 6 o'clock will result in lower, not higher, chamber pressure.

BluesBlade
September 24, 2005, 10:16 AM
Might be a good excuse now to get a fully supported match barrel!
:)

kymasabe
September 24, 2005, 02:11 PM
What to check first?

1. Shooter...make sure all the little bits and pieces are still there.
2. Underwear...might want to just throw them out at this point as you'll never get that new stain out!
3. Yellow Pages for the location of the nearest lottery ticket retailer.
4. Yellow Pages again for a darn good gunsmith.

USP45usp
September 24, 2005, 03:51 PM
Since you posed the question, this means that you're not really comfortable with shooting the gun again after this incident. (edited to clarify)

Take to gunsmith, have him/her check it over and then that will allieve your fears.

Send letter to ammo manufacturer with lot number and head stamp. Explain what happened. You may get a case of free ammo (or a box, but still).

All factory ammo is mass loaded via machines, machines fail, and you could save them a law suit by informing them and they can recall that lot.

Wayne