PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate the Sig P226?

Doug.38PR
September 23, 2005, 05:25 PM
http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicfullsize-models.asp?product_id=41

I am more of a revolver fan. I only own one automatic that I love and it is a Springfield 1911 A1 with two 7 found .45 clips (or magazines as the more sophisticated gun buffs say ;) ).
Just for fun, in the future, I was thinking about getting a high capacity 9mm auto. The P226 1) has a hammer (unlike the Glock), 2) is both double and single action, and 3 can hold as many as 15 rounds which is about as high as most autos go.

But that's just what I have observed from handing the gun at the show or store. I'm not much of an auto buff. You don't hear from these as much as you do the 1911 or Glock.
How do you rate them?

WillBrayjr
September 23, 2005, 05:31 PM
Sigs are top notch autos with an excellent track record for dependability. Their customer service is also excellent if you need it. They're no 1911A1 but they're better than the Glock.

IanS
September 23, 2005, 05:33 PM
IMHO, you can't find a better DA/SA auto than the SIG P226. I rate them higher than any other DA/SA auto and I rate them higher than any other SIG Sauer model including their other 9mm autos and the much vaunted P220. (I've also owned the P229 in 9mm and .40, P220, P220ST, and P228.) The P226's amazing accuracy, smooth DA/SA trigger, its durability, the way it shoots, all makes it better than any SIG or other DA/SA auto I've owned or tried. I tried the P226 in .40 and .357 SIG and its such a great design they handled the cartridges with aplomb. But it is in 9mm where the P226 feels most "at home".

If you feel more comfortable with cocked and locked a BHP of course.
Or if you prefer a polymer gun with a consistent trigger you can't go wrong with any Glock in 9mm.

But, if trigger is not a overriding factor the SIG Sauer P226 9mm is my top choice for its overall quality and goodness straight out of the box of any 9mm in its class.

IM_Lugger
September 23, 2005, 05:46 PM
I rate it above CZ, Glock, HK, Ruger, but bellow Beretta :)

IMO it's second best

don't even know how to compare it to 1911... :eek:

Logs
September 23, 2005, 05:56 PM
Sig 226 is a great gun, I have a 220 and 239 and will get a 226 in the near future.

Velocity226
September 23, 2005, 06:36 PM
The P226 is an excellent pistol. Really nice DA compared to others, excellent accuracy and reliability.

I rate it below the Beretta 92 series and Browning Hi-Power.

CougarRed
September 23, 2005, 06:48 PM
I have a P226-40/357. While it is a perfectly fine combat weapon, there are a variety of other 9mm offerings in its size that are its combat equal.

The negatives are the Sig trigger has a slow reset, and it's finish wears easily.

Doug.38PR
September 23, 2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.fountainfirearms.com/invlist/newpistols.htm

AHHHHH!!! :eek: I see Glocks and Springfields are MUCH cheaper than Sigs! Guess that's the main negative.

On the other hand....you get what you pay for...I hope. :)

LH2
September 23, 2005, 07:25 PM
Doug.38PR -

If you want a Sig 9mm, but don't want to spend P226 prices, then check out the P2022 Sig Pro. Feels like a Sig, because it is a Sig. And it saves a couple hundred dollars off P-Series pricing. :)

Not a very popular gun, maybe even hard to find at a gun store, but that doesn't mean they aren't terrific pistols. Just underrated and overlooked. Most people think "Sig" and they want an alloy frame, so the Sig Pro has been a poor seller.

Give it a look. :cool:

RsqVet
September 23, 2005, 07:36 PM
I'm very fond of my 226, and if for some reason 15 rounds does not do it for you you can get a 20 round mag for the 226 in 9mm. Plus used 9mm mags are plentiful bacuse large number of police trade in wepons. I have found mine (220, 226, 229) to be utterly reliable ant to feed anything --- including CCI shot shells in the 45 P220

I personay chose the st model for various reasons and in 9mm it shoots fantastic --- yes it is more weight to lug around but I can deal with that for benefit of strength and longevity.

I have to admit one of the things I admire about Sig is their progression towards ever improving quality and durability --- though the alloy frame, rolled slide guns worked well I'd have had a hard time putting up the bucks for one from a want this gun to hand around for awhile and pass down to the family, with their newer designs, all machined slides and availability of Steel frames I'm a very happy camper.

DanV1317
September 23, 2005, 08:12 PM
They're no 1911A1 but they're better than the Glock.

I beg to differ will. i'm selling my p229 for a g19. I find the sig to be to heavy to use for concealed IWB carry.

malachi
September 23, 2005, 08:17 PM
As good as glock or beretta. Better than 1911s.

Half-Price Assassin
September 23, 2005, 08:34 PM
I dont own one, but if HK didnt exist, i would probably own afew (P229 .40 , and P226 9mm) too bad they cost so much, thought of buying one, but always come back to GLOCK ($300 buck less and they work). if you ask me, i feel that HK, and Sig, make the best semi-auto pistols in the world (but my heart has a place for GLOCK) :o

Cowled_Wolfe
September 23, 2005, 08:52 PM
Of all handguns I've fired, the Sig P226 in .40SW is by far the best IMO... Dunno what the 9mm's like though.

Wolfe.

gddyup
September 23, 2005, 09:09 PM
I took my first handgun class at Sigarms Academy and spent all day with the Sig 226. I also had the chance to play a bit with the 239 which is the pistol my wife was firing that day. It was my first time firing and handling a 9mm and the Sig was a very impressive weapon. Easy to shoot, great handling, nice features, and built very solid. The Sig guns are very nice weapons and I don't think you could go wrong getting into any one of them that fit your needs.

That being said, since then I have had the opportunity to fire the Berretta 92, the Glock 17, and the Springfield XD9 all in 9mm. This has happened within the last 2 months. I am currently sitting here writing this post from the comfort of my living couch along with my new SA XD9 at my side. As much as I liked the 226 and the 239, I found that the XD was the best handgun for me at this time. It fits me like a glove, it's more accurate than I am at my skill level, and the "bring it home" price couldn't be beat.Everything I was looking for in a first pistol was answered with the XD.

You've been shooting much longer than I have so your idea of what you need or want is going to be much different than mine. But I can tell you from my point of view, which is unaffected by any preconceived notions of what is "good", "bad", or "ugly", what I thought just felt good when I put some lead downrange.

Taking the XD out of the picture (since you have a feeling for where I stand in regards to that particular pistol), I would certainly put the Sig at the top of my list in terms of how it felt when I fired it. The Beretta and the Glock felt ok, but the Sigs were in an other league. The Sigs just felt better. They balanced well, shot well, had absolutely no problems through about 250 rounds, were easy to manipulate in terms of their decock and slide catch, trigger was nice in both DA and SA, and they just flat out shot nice.

I'm all gah-gah over my XD but I WILL pick myself up a Sig within the next year or so. They are simply put some very nice handguns and I don't think you could go wrong if that's the route you chose to go.

MoW
September 23, 2005, 10:06 PM
SIG P-226, best of the best :D

Erhard
September 24, 2005, 12:30 AM
I use my Sig 226 X-press 9mm for practical shooting. I has never let me down. The gun is rather heavy in comparison to the Glocks and the standard Sig226s some of my fellow shooters use, but I never experienced that as a disadvantage, although I am a relatively small guy (1,70 m/5.58 feet and 69kg/152 pound - but well trained).

By the way: I use MecGar magazines. They have the same dimensions as the original Sig-magazines, but hold 17 rounds in stead of 15.

Greetings,

Erhard

gc70
September 24, 2005, 01:11 AM
I'm a 1911 guy at heart. I have owned several 9mm pistols (including Beretta, Browning, and Walther), but couldn't find one I really liked until I got a Sig.

The P226 is a well-designed, high-quality DA/SA pistol that is utterly reliable, uncannily accurate, and is backed up by great customer service (if you ever need it). They are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Here's my P226ST - all-steel, all-stainless.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gc70/SigST3.jpg

WillBrayjr
September 24, 2005, 07:44 AM
Better than 1911s :confused: Have you done any research on 1911s? There is no way any autoloader and touch the 1911's service record :p

pointfiveoh
September 24, 2005, 09:12 AM
I love mine, and carry it everywhere I'm allowed. I bought mine CPO from CDNN and got it, in excellent condition, for about 400 instead of 800. Of the 9mm's I have shot I like it best.

Webleymkv
September 24, 2005, 09:14 AM
The British military must think a lot of them. The traded off their Browning Hi Powers in favor of the 226.

BUSTER51
September 24, 2005, 11:33 AM
I own 3 p226's and they are all superb.

Hard Ball
September 24, 2005, 12:01 PM
The P226 is an outstanding pistol. accurate and reliable out of the box. I rate it as the best of the DA 9mm.