PDA

View Full Version : FEG PA-63 .380 Tell me all about it.

jsp98m3
September 23, 2005, 12:59 PM
I've been cleaning up a bucket-o-guns for a friend of mine who carried then out of a dead uncle's house. Lots of junk. Lorcin, yuck.

Two guns out of the bunch I'm considering taking off her hands. One is an old Raven .25 that I'll likely take as payment for cleaning them all up. Its a nice pocket gun. Save me the lecture on stopping power :)

Now, one gun in the bunch is a FEG PA-63, 9mm Short. Made in Hungary.

I like the feel of it in my hand and am wondering about the aluminum frame, etc. I have almost no knowledge of the brand and nothing about this particular model. What does the group know about it and what is the general opinion of it?

This will not be a primary weapon, just a fun gun to maybe add to the top shelf in the closet. Opinions please.

wingman
September 23, 2005, 01:32 PM
I have one in 9x18, very good accuracy, points well, no feeding failures,
double action trigger very hard, single action good, I like the gun, fun
easy to clean, full power loads in 9x18 has a nasty recoil however I reload
70% power loads and it does fine, 380 should not be a problem. It does
make a fine carry gun due to slim profile.

jsp98m3
September 23, 2005, 01:40 PM
I did a search and it seems that people complain consistently about 2 things:

Trigger springs. Are these actually available and what/where to ask?
Recoil/slide bite. Seems to be related to the grip shape? Did anyone ever get a replacement grip built? Pach copies would be nice.

wingman
September 23, 2005, 02:30 PM
I have never experienced the slide bite but have heard others talk about the problem, the alloy frame is light weight and with full power 9x18 loads it is
a noticable recoil. Check makarov.com for springs, I also believe Wolff springs
make replacements, I have never felt the need to change mine as i shoot
single action on about all guns I own. Forgot to add I know of no replacement
grips other then wood and I believe Makarov.com still sells those.

http://makarov.com/

Teakwood
September 23, 2005, 06:31 PM
Are you SURE that it is a PA-63 in .380? The PA-63 was produced for the Hungarian forces in 9x18M, not 9x17 (.380). Admittedly, some were re-barrelled for 9x17, but you had better be sure before you you fire it.

In any case, PA-63's are fairly common and used to sell for around $125. They have an alloy frame and are basically a large-scale copy of a Walther PP.

Some people like them - some people don't. There is a manual for them here:
http://www.again.net/~steve/pdf/walther_pa63.pdf
Makarov.com has some info on this page:
http://www.makarov.com/others/index.html

One last thought - I suggest that you might want to replace the mainspring with an 11# and replace the recoil spring with a 13#:
http://www.makarov.com/cart/vitempa63.htm

saands
September 23, 2005, 07:32 PM
I have one in the native 9x18 and like it ... I will add one more possible concern IF it turns out that yours is a 9x18: The heavier JHP loadings in 9x18 won't fit in the mag! It turns out that they are too long ... not by much, but enough that they won't load. Recoil with full power 9x18 (is that an oxymoron?) IS pretty stout, but not as stout as it is in the P64 and I like that one just fine :D

Saands

ps ... I second the advice to be CERTAIN that it is a 9x17 (.380) and not a 9x18 as I haven't heard of any being imported as 9x17 ...

jsp98m3
September 23, 2005, 08:07 PM
Yeah, its .380. It's stamped PA-63 AND AP9. The left side of the slide and the ejector are both stamped 9mm SHORT. Capitals are as-stamped, not my emphasis.

Except for the thumb rest on the left grip, I like the feel of it. And I agree on the springs. The trigger pull is very hard in DA. I went and looked on Makarov.com and will order the combo spring pack as soon as the replacement grips are also back in stock.

Maybe I'll fire it this weekend. I can see where the web of the thumb is jammed into that deep curve under the slide. Pach grips would be very nice.

Here is what is stamped on the left by the trigger: A small symbol on its side with the numeral 1 in it, the S/N, a capital 'M' and a small circle with K11 and 74 or 14 under the K11.

Jim

Te Anau
September 23, 2005, 09:36 PM
I've been cleaning up a bucket-o-guns for a friend of mine who carried then out of a dead uncle's house. Lots of junk. Lorcin, yuck.
Geez lets be a little colder in the future.

jsp98m3
September 24, 2005, 01:06 AM
It wasn't MY uncle. I'm just cleaning up old, gummed up guns.

mtnboomer
September 24, 2005, 03:10 AM
jsp98m3, does yours have the two-tone finish (blued slide and natural aluminium frame)? Mine does and I think it looks sharp. Mine is a PA-63 AP9 in .380 acp also.

Yes, the AP9 version came in .380 back several years ago. I've had mine for about 10 years. There are no aftermarket grips available for the PA-63's, and Pachmeyers for PPK's won't fit because of the larger curve on the heel of the grip frame. I got a set of grip panels custom-made by a guy on another forum that look great. They are smooth Black Walnut with a bit of grain in them. Unfortunately he went overseas and isn't around any more.

jsp98m3
September 24, 2005, 03:24 AM
Yes, this is the two-toned finish. I ended up with three of the weapons from the bucket-o-guns.

The FEG
The Raven
and Lord help me, the Lorcin .380

I'm taking the Lorcin to the police station tomorrow and turning it in. It must weigh something like 50 pounds and its got more chrome on it than a Harley.

I refused all of the pistols that had any really good value, mostly old west styled revolvers. None of them were of interest to me.

denfoote
September 24, 2005, 04:33 AM
I'm taking the Lorcin to the police station tomorrow and turning it in.

Why??
Is it stolen??
Was it used in a crime??
Or are you going to let .gov "buy it back" from you, as if they owned it in the first place!!!

Apple a Day
September 24, 2005, 08:18 AM
I used to own one, traded it in on another Makarov. I still have the manual someplace and the original grips. You can have them both if you want. PM me your address and I'd be happy to mail them to you.
I had the military version (9x18) rather than the civilian (9x17). Accuracy was very good. Recoil was sharp. I have big hands and looked for better grips, bought some black grippy rubber ones from Makarov.com. I'm not sure if they offer them anymore. Even with the new grips it wasn't comfortable for me to shoot - too skinny for my paws - but I used it on occassion as a concealed carry piece during hot weather.
Not my favorite gun ever but if someone handed me one for free I'd take it and thank them for it!

jsp98m3
September 24, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'm taking the Lorcin to the police station tomorrow and turning it in.

Why??
Is it stolen??
Was it used in a crime??
Or are you going to let .gov "buy it back" from you, as if they owned it in the first place!!!

None of the above really. Its just that this Lorcin is a BRICK and ugly to boot. These factors convince me that it will lay around forever and maybe even become misplaced or stolen by domestic help, etc. And I can't think of anyone offhand that I would just give it to, maybe its best to "put it to sleep" by taking it to the police for disposal. I'm open to sensible alternatives though.

michael t
September 24, 2005, 12:04 PM
Use for trading. most will shoot ball alright. How about in a Bug out pack kept in car with box of shells .Sell at a Flea market. After NO I wouldn't give the police or govt a dam thing.

jsp98m3
September 24, 2005, 01:59 PM
Thought about it long and hard.

Clamped the Lorcin in the mill and ran a drill through the barrel lengthwise to make it a .50 caliber and then put the action in a 10 ton press and dented it. Now its in the dumpster.

This thing was an embarrassment to gun ownership. Which takes a lot from me to say since I actually like the .25 Raven.

Plus even at 190 lbs, I wasn't sure I was strong enough to lift it to eye level to shoot it, causing a safety hazard ;) Did I mention this thing was a brick?

Te Anau
September 24, 2005, 02:32 PM
That was a mistake IMHO. :confused:

jsp98m3
September 24, 2005, 02:44 PM
Perhaps. But here is my thinking process here.

First, I am divorced and own my own business. Plus I travel to Asia often and for fairly long periods (2 weeks or more). I am not at home much and its a large but not enormous house.

I also have domestic help. A gardner and a housekeeper. Both of them are more than likely illegal. I pay them cash and don't ask a lot of questions.

I also don't lock up weapons in a gun safe. This is not a problem for me and I'm not open to argument about it. I have a core number of weapons that I keep track of and that the housekeeper knows I check on daily when I'm home. She is trustworthy as I have left her with access to the house containing hundreds of thousands of dollars in possessions for up to 5 weeks at a time.

That said, I don't feel it is a good idea to have weapons around that are never used and might turn up missing without being noticed. The Lorcin was in my opinion a POS. With no redeemable qualities to me personally and the even remote chance that it could end up in the wrong hands, I decided it had to go. I could have sold it or given it away. Or traded it in. But frankly, I have no idea where this thing has been and it might be involved in a crime for all I know. Afterall, it IS basically, a larger caliber SNS. I do not need the hassle of having to answer future questions about the weapon if it turns out to be trouble.

Personal transfer is too risky. As I said, I own my own business and I really don't need to be the target of someone's lawsuit down the road, however unlikely. Would I have done this to my BHP? No, its a gun worthy of surviving. I didn't feel this was the case for the Lorcin. Passing it on seemed to have many potential liabilites for a gun valued at less than $100, most likely.

Jim

liliysdad
September 24, 2005, 11:57 PM
Holy God.... :rolleyes:

jsp98m3
September 25, 2005, 12:06 AM
The second amendment says I can own 'em and I can destroy 'em. :rolleyes:

denfoote
September 25, 2005, 02:42 AM
Clamped the Lorcin in the mill and ran a drill through the barrel lengthwise to make it a .50 caliber and then put the action in a 10 ton press and dented it. Now its in the dumpster.

Did it shoot???

If so, then you could have found a economically less fortunate person who needed something for protection and sold it to him for a dollar!! Not all people can afford Glocks and the like!!!

Yup!! That was a mistake!!

Every once in awhile, I read about some senior citizen, on a fixed income, who saved his and his wife's life by shooting the home invader with the Jennings or Lorcin that sat in a drawer.

The ONLY reason for destroying a gun would be if it were worn or defective to the point of being dangerous!!! But, if it had sentimental value, retire it to a place of honor!!