PDA

View Full Version : Star Model B Restoration

BloodyBucket03
September 22, 2005, 11:06 AM
I just received my Star B. Echeverria 9mm pistol back from restoration, boy it looks a feels great. The gun was my grandmother's who had it until she past away in 2000. My father and I took it out to the range this past June and fired it for the first time probably in 70yrs. I was impressed by this pistols accuracy. I was hitting tighter shot groups at 25 yds with the Old Star B than with my Glock. I could not believe how great it performed. I tell you that pistol was heavy but it hardly had any recoil at all. After firing it my father and I decided to send it out to get it restored to like new condition. I found a gentleman in Florida over the Internet named Mr. George Rogharr who does refinishing and restoration on any firearm and his prices are really good. I would recommend him to anyone who has a firearm that would like to get it restored or even refinished to keep for a long time. His web site is www.gunblue.homestead.com (http://www.gunblue.homestead.com) I can’t wait to take it to the range and see what it can do since the restoration. Does anyone out there own an old Star pistol and like it’s performance? Or anyone had their Star reconditioned and noticed a difference in it’s performance?

Stephen A. Camp
September 22, 2005, 12:44 PM
Hello. The Star Model B is an old favorite of mine. I've owned a couple over the years and have no regrets. Sadly, spare parts are getting harder to find each year, but the old guns sort of had a a special "grace" about them at least to me.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/StarPistols.htm

Best.

DoItRight
September 22, 2005, 12:58 PM
I have a Star BM that I have been planning to get restored for a few months now but I haven't gotten around to it.

I plan on getting it refinished by CCR Refinishing (http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/) I have heard great things about them on the SIG forum and I am excited about what my finished product will look like.

I have already gotten some custom grips for the gun made by Hakan Pek (http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/) and they are GREAT! IF you want grips for your Star, you need to check him out!

In the meantime, post pictures -- we wanna see!!!

DoItRight
September 22, 2005, 01:21 PM
These are the grips that Hakan Pek did for my Star BM

http://www.dixontech.com/NABA/DSCN0129.JPG

Excuse the crappy photography - this picture does not do them justice!

JR47
September 22, 2005, 01:21 PM
I own a Model A, a Model B Super, a Model BM, and a PD. Several friends have various iterations of the Firestar. ALL of them have proven to be reliable, accurate, and pleasant shooting weapons. The PD has Pachmayrs, and the rest have various types of wood grips from The Gungrip Guys. All but the Pachmayrs required minor fitting.

My PD was bought new in the 1970s, the rest were all bought several years ago, and were all in Excellent condition from various importers.

Fun weapons. :)

SIGSHR
September 22, 2005, 04:01 PM
I have a Star Model, ex-German police pistol. Functions smoothly, a good
shooter, and a nice piece of history.

res1b3uq
September 22, 2005, 04:45 PM
I have a Star PD as my constant companion. I had a Sprinco recoil system put in it to get away from the now unavailable buffer.

USP45usp
September 22, 2005, 05:37 PM
Star Model Super in 9mm Largo.

Had it refinished by "Old Soldier" from FFF (this was awhile ago) and is one of my favorite guns. Expensive to shoot but hey, I like it.

Wayne

leadcounsel
September 22, 2005, 05:59 PM
Are the $150 Star Bs from various importers quality and accurate weapons as you're all talking about? Considering one in 9mm.

JR47
September 22, 2005, 09:24 PM
The Model B Super has a reputation for reliability with FMJ ammo. They will feed some hollowpoints without modification, depending on the particular weapon. Remember, there were few JHPs when these were built.

Accuracy is normally good.

Always check to be sure that the firing pin retracts fully on your weapon. There were some Stars released with overly long firing pins. This could result in a slam-fire. :)

Waffle King
September 23, 2005, 02:04 PM
Those used Star Bs at SOG are tempting for the price.

I like the look of those Ultrastars floating around, but the same parts issue. I'd hate to get stuck with a $200 paperweight if something breaks.

XavierBreath
September 23, 2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.bayourovers.com/StarModeloB2.jpg
Here is my old Star Modelo B from SOG. It's a great shooter, but I did have to loosen up a rusted slide stop detent when I first got it. I wouldn't change a thing about it now. IMHO the Star B is a best value must buy gun. A Mil-Surp 9mm Para for under $150? Come on................ ;)

Boss Spearman
September 23, 2005, 04:03 PM
I have an Ultrastar in 9mm. I fired it in filfthy conditions today under which I've had both a Sig and a Glock fail on me, and the Ultrastar flew through it without a single hitch, and was extremely accurate.

Stars are great guns.

briang2ad
September 23, 2005, 07:51 PM
I here nothing but good things about the Star BMs in particular - I really which they still made them. The only draw back may be spare parts, and for sure, if you get the pistol with one mag, you are looking at $32 a piece for spares while they last.

I owned a beautiful Super B many years ago, but the thing wouldn't feed - at least initially. I also paid too much at a local shop, and ended up getting rid of it. Should have gotten a BM...

saands
September 23, 2005, 08:26 PM
Actually ... I've heard that the spare mags for the Star BM are $12.95 from SOG ... but I don't know if that is a special price if you get the spares with a pistol or if it is just the price. They are not advertized anywhere on SOG's site that I can see, but it would be worth the call to find out.

Saands

Boss Spearman
September 23, 2005, 09:20 PM
It's a shame Star went under in Spain, yet Llama survived.

mtn. man
September 24, 2005, 01:55 PM
Same here' the Star B BM and other models cant be beat for the price.
I dont own any plastic guns but i wonder how many of them could take the abuse these old guns have.