PDA

View Full Version : glock triggers suck

jk3
September 21, 2005, 06:20 PM
i went to the range a few weeks ago and i rented a glock ive never shot one before and its free to rent you just pay for ammo but i started to shoot and i hate the trigger the safety on it messes me up on trigger squeze any one else not like the trigger on glocks i just want to make sure im not the only one

diggs
September 21, 2005, 06:28 PM
It isn't the best, but Its DAO I haven't shot that many brands of guns but I think it is as good as other DA and DAO pistols I've shot.

If there are other DAO/DA pistols that you feel are considerable better do tell(I honestly want to know not being sarcastic).

I recently bought a Glock 19 and am going to improve the trigger with the $0.25 trigger job and 3.5# connector I'll let you know if that helps.

diggs

jk3
September 21, 2005, 06:34 PM
what kind of trigger job can you get for a quarter if that fixes the crappy trigger then ill get one i think the smith sigma is a better DAO[this stands for double action only right] pistol than the glock

'75Scout
September 21, 2005, 06:35 PM
I don't mind. You just have to get used to it.

diggs
September 21, 2005, 06:43 PM
http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

There is a link to the trigger job for a quarter. You like you SW thats great.

different strokes for different folks

diggs

Lycanthrope
September 21, 2005, 06:49 PM
With an aftermarket disconnector they get a lot better.

sendec
September 21, 2005, 06:50 PM
I'd give it a little more time than just one range session. It certainly isnt a match trigger, but then it isnt supposed to be. Give it a couple hundred, or thousand, rounds, and then decide if the problem is the gun or you. It'll be you, but you'll have more time to blame the gun ;)

datasmith
September 21, 2005, 07:32 PM
If you are looking for a Glock style design, but with a great trigger action, check out the Springfield XD series.

http://www.genitron.com/REV-SA-XD-357/SA-XD-357.html

flycaster
September 21, 2005, 07:44 PM
jk3- your list includes a Beretta 92FS. That's a really fine pistol, but an awful lot of people complain about its long, heavy DA trigger pull, and end up having trigger jobs done. I have a G19 and, after replacing the stock connector with a 3 1/2 pound one, and doing a bit of judicious polishing, the trigger breaks at a smooth 4 pounds. I'm not trying to talk you into a Glock- it's just that you started this thread! :D

Chuck

jk3
September 21, 2005, 08:19 PM
im like the way the glock looks and i wold like to have one but i would have to get the trigger worked the beretta is a good gun and it does have a hard trigger pull its not the whight of pull on the glock its the safety that screws with me i squize the trigger .

p.s
i know i cant spell so dont tease me

john in jax
September 21, 2005, 08:38 PM
Glock has different triggers weights and breaks available on diferent guns - - or at least they used to.

It used to be that LEO/duty Glocks came with a real heavy trigger pull - - it has been a long time, but I think it was something like 13-15 lbs. Standard civilian over-the-counter guns came with +/-9 lb triggers. The target/match weapons with longer bbl's, porting, etc… could be purchased with 3 lb triggers. If you didn't like the heavy trigger they would gladly sell you the do-it-yourself (just swap in the new parts) 3 lb trigger parts.

That was a quite a few years ago, I'm not sure what trigger options are available on Glocks new guns

JGIORD
September 21, 2005, 08:48 PM
I don't mind the Glock trigger at all. The only other one I have experience with is the SA XD and I prefer the Glock. :confused:

MTMilitiaman
September 21, 2005, 08:55 PM
Stock it isn't a tuned 1911 trigger but the trigger on my Glock is infinitely better than the triggers on my HK USP and my dad's Ruger P90. I prefer the Glock trigger over any DA pull I have ever felt and I have played with a fair amount of them--including the P2000 and DAO SIGs.

here piggy piggy
September 21, 2005, 09:04 PM
You get used to it with time...most have around a (relatively light) 5lb trigger pull to prevent accidental discharges under stress (the heavy NY trigger @ 13-15lbs did stop accidental discharges and is still used by many LEOs). That 3.5lb trigger modification is just asking for an accident in a stressful, fight for your life situation...if it's a target gun then go for it. Overall, the glock is made to function under extreme conditions and work all the time without a hiccup...the trigger may feel awkward to some, but it gets the job done out of the box IMHO.

Shoot safe!

boing
September 21, 2005, 09:10 PM
With moderate practice, the stock Glock trigger can be mastered readily. One range trip won't do it, but that goes for just about anything you're not used to.

It doesn't feel "nice", but that's irrelevant when it comes to hosing down an IPSC target at 15 yards on the clock. If you're into tidy groups at distance, then maybe a 1911 is the better choice.

The stock Glock trigger runs around 5.5 lbs, but that's variable. The trigger mods done for NYPD issue guns run 8 lbs, and 11lbs, respectively. The competition grade Glocks ship with 3.5 connectors, yielding pulls of roughly....3.5 pounds. :)

Even with the same type of connector, the pull will vary considerably from one gun to the next, as will the feel. The 3.5s I've tried felt even mushier than stock.

I run stock triggers on my IPSC and IPDA/Carry guns, and I mop the floor with those STI race-gunners on a regular basis. :D

ltdave
September 21, 2005, 09:11 PM
its not the whight of pull on the glock its the safety that screws with me i squize the trigger

how is it that the safety screws with you (when) you squize (squeeze) the trigger?

your finger, if properly placed on said trigger should depress the safety tab and allow the trigger to move without any binding or blockage...

i didnt like the trigger for the first 100-120 shots but after i got another 300 or so thru it, i can shoots 1" groups at about 20yards, standing unsupported with LEAD SWC reloads :eek: ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/ltdave/P1010591.jpg
david

Hard Ball
September 21, 2005, 09:14 PM
Be calm, it is just another example of Glock "perfection."

boing
September 21, 2005, 09:15 PM
On the "safety", the forward surface of it can be contoured to lay flush with the front of the trigger, making it less obtrusive. Might not be such a good idea for a carry gun, though.

The XD has a similar trigger safety, BTW. I suspect it's more the two-stage, hard stacking of the Glock trigger that throws you off, and less so the trigger safety itself.

Jamie Young
September 21, 2005, 09:27 PM
An acquired taste.

HighValleyRanch
September 21, 2005, 09:41 PM
ItDave:
Nice shooting! Do you have an aftermarket barrel on that glock for those SWC. Never heard of anyone shooting SWC. Only round nose through the glock.

BobK
September 21, 2005, 11:11 PM
Give Kahr a try. The trigger on my P9 is great.

Powderman
September 22, 2005, 12:52 AM
Trigger rubbing your finger raw, is it? It did to me, too--until I learned the secret to shooting Glocks.

The secret is simple--fire from the reset.

How? I'll talk you through it. Go get your Glock.

Now clear it. Drop the magazine, rack the slide, put the magazine and spare round IN ANOTHER ROOM. Lock the slide to the rear, check the chamber by looking and feeling (with your pinky).

Clear? OK, now let's proceed.

Point the Glock in a safe direction. Now pull the trigger and HOLD IT TO THE REAR.

While still holding the trigger, reset the striker by pulling the slide an inch to the rear and releasing. You still have the trigger held to the rear, right? Good.

Now, slowly start easing up on the trigger. As it moves forward, you will feel and hear a "click"--this usually happens in a really small fraction of trigger movement--about 1/8th of an inch.

WHEN YOU HEAR AND FEEL THE CLICK, THE PISTOL IS READY TO FIRE AGAIN.

Thus, don't release the trigger. Stop right when you hear the click, and pull the trigger again. The striker will fall.

Practice that a bit with an empty gun before you try it at the range. You'll be surprised--you can get some REALLY fast double taps with Combat Tupperware. It can be very accurate, too!

molonlabe
September 22, 2005, 06:53 AM
The funny part about the Glock is how wierd and sproingy (A new word) the trigger is. I hated it when I got it but because I was doing wilderness duty with SAR and drug labs were always a potential danger the light polymer seemed like the best choice when you added in med kit rope climbing gear and backpack. I did get used to it and shoot it well with the regular factory trigger. You just got to get past how different it is.

HSMITH
September 22, 2005, 08:03 AM
If you shoot it like a double action, which it is, you will find it isn't a big deal and is actually quite easy to shoot. If you can't shoot double action, well, it is your skillset that needs work and not the gun.

Zekewolf
September 22, 2005, 08:16 AM
I suspect it'd be a lot easier to fix a Glock trigger than to fix the first "sentence" in this thread! ;) :D

308LAW
September 22, 2005, 06:46 PM
I suspect it'd be a lot easier to fix a Glock trigger than to fix the first "sentence" in this thread!
thats the funniest thing ive heard all day, thanks.
I love the Glock trigger, I can shoot it better than the 1911's now that i'm used to it.

Lycanthrope
September 22, 2005, 07:05 PM
I love the Glock trigger, I can shoot it better than the 1911's now that i'm used to it.

BLASPHEMY!

TimC
September 22, 2005, 07:39 PM
I suspect it'd be a lot easier to fix a Glock trigger than to fix the first "sentence" in this thread! Heh-heh. It was a tough read.

Amigo
September 22, 2005, 08:24 PM
I love the glock factory trigger pull--light, consistent and a pleasure to use. I shoot my glock better than any other combat handgun I've ever owned. To each his own the---shoot what you love :D

TheEgg
September 23, 2005, 03:17 PM
glock triggers suck

No, you just don't like it.

Danzig
September 23, 2005, 05:52 PM
I've got a Ruger P90. It was my first handgun and I like it very much. Several years ago I bought my Glock 21. I love it even more. I had never so much as held a Glock before I bought it through auctionarms.com. (I couldn't pass up the price..or reputation for reliablility) Right out of the box it shot dead on at about 20 meters. I am very glad that I took the "risk" and bought the glock sight unseen.

leadcounsel
September 23, 2005, 06:21 PM
well that's just, like, yur opinion, man.... :D

DanV1317
September 23, 2005, 08:15 PM
The glock trigger is one of the best i've shot. It cant get much better than the same pull every time you pull the trigger. Why get used to 2 different pulls when you have the option of just getting used to one?

orionengnr
September 23, 2005, 09:00 PM
I can shoot hundreds of rounds through any 1911, whether standard or my preference, Para LDA. Likewise my own favorite trigger, an HK P7 (okay, it will get hot). Or a Smith 66 with 357's or .38's.
My Glock 23 "bites" my trigger finger just as does my S&W 340PD--difference is that the 340 weighs 11 oz and fires full house .357's, so I can forgive (or at least accept) that...
Not a Glock basher, I have owned it for 10+ years and like it, but I can compare and contrast objectively.
YMMV...and probably will.

BTW, powderman, great post, and that is the way I fire all of my semi's. P7's (and SA 1911's) love it, Glocks like it and Para LDA's take a bit more travel to reset. I do it with revo's too although it is not efficient, and I do it with rifles too...just the way it goes.

Zekewolf
September 23, 2005, 09:10 PM
Glocks are not double action.

Boss Spearman
September 23, 2005, 09:18 PM
Glock triggers (XDs too) hurt my finger to shoot too many rounds. I owned several Glocks and 2 XDs trying to like them, but they all bit into my finger too much during range sessions.

TimC
September 23, 2005, 09:41 PM
Glocks are not double action. Nor are they single action. They are a hybrid action.

L8sho2003
September 23, 2005, 11:32 PM
When I first got my G19 I thought I had made a very bad mistake. Because of the lack of a traditional safety, I don't let my wife carry it. As my personal carry piece, I could only be happier if it was a .40. I bought it used from a buddy because it was in like new shape and came with 3 mags (one being Glock 15 rd.) all for $300. This is why I got a 9mm. I hated the trigger pull at first, but I got used to it. All doubt was erased when I outshot the same buddy with his newly aquired 1911 clone.

Zekewolf
September 24, 2005, 07:28 AM
Tim: Your prize will arrive in the mail. :)

AUG
October 1, 2005, 07:24 AM
I thinks glocks have the best trigger pull of any DA service type pistol.

WESHOOT2
October 1, 2005, 08:00 AM
The trigger on the Glock YOU shot sucked; not ALL Glock triggers suck.

Actual experience.........

Zekewolf
October 1, 2005, 11:44 AM
I agree, of course, with Weshoot. It's pretty simple to turn a crappy Glock trigger into a nice Glock trigger. There are Glock triggers that pull @ 1.5# or so, with little-to-no overtravel.

progunner1957
October 1, 2005, 12:18 PM
The triggers on my Glocks seem to be okay - every time I pull them, I hear a loud BANG and a hole appears in the target I was aiming at... :D

But seriously, if you compare them to the trigger pull on a well made 1911, they creep and are mushy. But you are comparing apples and oranges. No autoloader I have ever shot can equal the trigger on a 1911, especially one that has been tuned by a good 1911smith.

That having been said, my Glocks have been 100% reliable, shoot respectable groups, and always go BANG whenever I pull the trigger. They allow you to put holes in bad guys (if need be) with reliability and very good "combat accuracy."

As a teeshirt at the last gun show said:
H&K, Colt, Kimber, S&W: The guns you show your friends.
Glock: The gun you show your enemies.

Ya gotta love that!

My Ted Yost 1911 is for showin' and my Glock 21 is for blowin' :D

Zekewolf
October 1, 2005, 05:50 PM
Just got back from the range, coupla hours ago. Spent some quality time with my 70 Series GC. Has had some trigger work done. Also spent some quality time with a G21, which also has some trigger work done on it.

Absolutely no doubt that the 1911 has the superior trigger. However, still enjoyed shooting the Glock and found my accuracy pretty close with either. I like both. Just don't get the need for liking one and putting down the other.

Couple of observations: The Glock has less muzzle flip and less perceived recoil. Shooting from reset, there wasn't a monumental difference in the 1911's trigger pull and the Glock's.

I hear a lot of chatter about how much more reliable Glocks are than 1911s. That just hasn't been my experience. I find them both to be just about 100%, when good ammo is used and when they're properly maintained.

maximuss
October 1, 2005, 06:05 PM
You are not only one. Trust me. ;)

jonnyringo
October 1, 2005, 07:57 PM
I currently do not own a Glock, but I used to own one in .40 and have shot others. I like the trigger. I am planning on picking up another Glock in the future.

Toney
October 1, 2005, 09:11 PM
You know all the glock i have tryed are'nt as good as my hi point

JohnKSa
October 1, 2005, 10:05 PM
I'm going to regret this, but I'll bite.

What criteria are you using to compare the two?

Accuracy, durability, reliability, weight, shootability, trigger, appearance, price?

Zekewolf
October 1, 2005, 10:50 PM
John: Hard to take nearly-illiterate posts seriously, huh? :D

JohnKSa
October 2, 2005, 12:19 AM
All your glock are belong to us! :D

WESHOOT2
October 2, 2005, 08:12 AM
MY M20 had a "1911" trigger, in feel and performance.

(Was one of the things I liked about my now-sold Glock, one perfect trigger, the kind that makes other folks trying it get that look of utter curious disbelief on their face.) :eek:

MontyCop05
October 2, 2005, 01:21 PM
I shoot a 23 and i have no problems with it. Granted i learned on a glock, but it is an aquired taste. There are tigger kits to make it an easier pull, but it will always be a glock trigger. Despite what some say the glock is an outstanding weapon, and highly acurate. Not trying to sell you on the glock, but try giving it a little more finger next time. This was the advice i was given when i first started shootting the glock. For most it makes a big difference.

straightpull
October 2, 2005, 02:47 PM
My Glock 27 numbs the tip of my trigger finger after about two magazines, that I started shooting it like I would my Ruger 357 in double action. I shoot my 27 a lot and never had a problem even with handloads (I know, I check brass thoroughly and load mild). It's easy to point and is accurate. That's why even though it may hurt the the finger of unsuspecting shooter, my Glock 27 gets to go to the range with me everytime.

tsavo
October 2, 2005, 03:16 PM
I love the trigger on my glock 26. Much better than shooting my friends XD or colt.

Zekewolf
October 2, 2005, 04:11 PM
Straightpull: Your finger might get less numb if you'll swap out a G17/22 trigger for that grooved G27 trigger.

AustinMike
October 2, 2005, 04:48 PM
Great drop-in trigger kit here: http://www.triggerkit.com Aprox. 2lb pull.

Easy E
October 2, 2005, 05:53 PM
I hate 'em. I had a G-31 (.357sig) for about a year. Reliable, simple to operate, VERY accurate. I could just never warm up to it.

cuate
October 2, 2005, 07:56 PM
Hated my Glock 22 13# trigger pull, went to replacement parts with 3.5# trigger pull, no complaints whatsoever.

Glocks are like broccoli and spinich, you either like them or do not. Mine is ex-Leo with night sights and I added an internal laser. Am now not worried after the sun goes down or being accosted in the dark.

An interesting thing the Brits used to teach about night fighting was that looking directly at target and sights were inferior to slightly looking off a couple of degrees or so, things clear up and brighten. Try it, it works and you can do it! Try it with your wristwatch in the dark, looking directly danged if you can see what time it is, but gaze a few degrees off and WOW!

Boss Spearman
October 2, 2005, 08:17 PM
I have to modify my stance on XDs. I checked out an XD9 sub compact today, and the trigger on it felt much better than a Glock. In fact, I ended up buying the XD.

InSoMNiaX23
October 2, 2005, 09:13 PM
Cuate- It really does work. I'm a pilot and in my training I learned the same technique for night flying. In your eye there are rods and cones. The cones are what allow you to percieve color and are located closer to the center of your retina. The rods are light sensitive and are more densely concentrated further from the center. By not looking directly at what you intend to be looking at in the dark, the available light is focused more so on the rods allowing you to see better.

Zekewolf
October 2, 2005, 09:28 PM
I'm not a pilot, but I do know how to line up three dots on a set of nights sights! :p

F1sh
October 3, 2005, 12:40 AM
well, I'm new to the Glock trigger, but so far I like it. I didn't notice anything uncomfortable about it yet. I will say this though, so far, my Ruger P89 has my favorite trigger I've fired to this day. Everything about firing that gun is so smooth.

jonathon
October 3, 2005, 01:19 AM
$.25 trigger job + 8# connector = perfect Glock trigger for me. Nice short reset, clean break.

Only issue with Glocks(and other Striker fired contraptions) is you need to practice and master the trigger. The first shot has the longer pull, but you need only release the trigger enough to reset it(very short) to shoot after that.

3.5# connectors are to creepy in my opinion.. though an NY1 spring smooths it out a bit, if I was to add an NY spring to a Glock, it'd be on the 5.5# connector.

straightpull
October 4, 2005, 09:29 AM
"Straightpull: Your finger might get less numb if you'll swap out a G17/22 trigger for that grooved G27 trigger"

Zekewolf: That's a very good idea. Thanks. I had the the G27 for about 4 years now and it's time to get it out of stock form. I'm still trying to understand why Glock designed the G27 trigger as such. The only benefit of which is I tend to same ammo :)

Zekewolf
October 4, 2005, 11:42 AM
Straightpull: The grooved trigger is considered by BATFE as a "target trigger," and adds import points to the small Glocks. The triggers are interchangeable with G17/22 trigger bars, which have smooth-faced triggers.

Para Bellum
October 5, 2005, 01:33 PM
glock triggers suck
...if you can't shoot. ;)

xXStarScreamXx
October 5, 2005, 01:50 PM
I used to think so, then I shot a Sigma.

Wow.