PDA

View Full Version : pros/cons of add ons for glock

boogeyman
September 21, 2005, 05:19 PM
how many here find themselves carrying a stock glock? I mean no night sights, tac lights, drop in parts etc.

also, what is the best way to improve the glock trigger pull? is there any info on ranger connectors? I had past by their website awhile back and thought it to be interesting; but, was hesitant to buy their product.

the only add on i have now are heinie straight eight SP. The gun is a new glock 30 with rail. any other reccomendations? It is being turned into my car, boat, nightstand, ccw, SHTF scenario master blaster. I was thinking X200 as next addition.

Also, how long til most of the holster makers catch up with glock's addition of a rail on m30?

'75Scout
September 21, 2005, 05:41 PM
An American Gunsmithing Institute video on GLOCKs said that adding a 3.5lb connector with a 9 lb trigger spring will smooth out the pull. The video is a very wise investment, I would feel comfortable doing nearly anything on my GLOCK b/c the gunsmith is so good. I'm going to install Trijicon night sight once my sight installation tool arrives. I have an extended slide release but the stock one isn't bad at all. The stock plastic sights suck and thats the only mod I have chosen, other than pearce grip extendors.

diggs
September 21, 2005, 06:20 PM
I would recommeng checking out the glocktalk forum. There is a trigger job that you can do with some metal polish and a cotton swab. I am not knowledgeable enough to give instructions but i heard that with a 3.5# connector and a NY1 trigger do great things. I recently picked up a Glock 19 and am planning to do this and add night sights.

I hope this helps I am relatively new and thats all I got for info.

diggs

boogeyman
September 21, 2005, 06:30 PM
do maritime spring cups actually work? sometimes my buddy's and I cross to the bahamas from west palm beach. occassionally there are islands that we swim to after anchoring the boat a little offshore. I always wondered what would happen if (God forbid) a handgun needed to be used while on the swim to the island. the only one on the boat who carries uses naa's little .22 revolver. sorry, i feel unarmed with hawaiin sling, flare gun, and 5 shot .22. so, along came the glock 30. i know most would say "why?" to the add on; but, I felt that previous schpeel was a must for an explanation.

I just really want to know if the standard glock 30 will function properly if submerged in water and then brought to ready out of the water. obviously no plug for drainage reasons; but, will it work w/o maritime spring cups?

p.s. No i will not be shooting hogfish and grouper with my combat tupperware!

HappyGunner
September 21, 2005, 06:30 PM
I just changed the spring guide rod from the non-metal stock rod to a S.S. guide rod in my G23.

boogeyman
September 21, 2005, 06:31 PM
thanks for the replies... keep em' coming.

'75Scout
September 21, 2005, 06:32 PM
Throw it in a bucket of water at the range and the see if it shoots

Zekewolf
September 22, 2005, 08:21 AM
I suppose by "9#" trigger spring that the guy's talking about a NY1?? If you want a revolver-like pull, then a 3.5# connector with NY1 will accomplish that. I prefer an aftermarket 3.5# connector with the factory Glock coil trigger spring, with everything in the firing mechanism polished. I also use steel guide rods in Glocks. Agrip feels a lot better in my hand than does bare plastic. :) I've used several different brands of night sights, but all my Glocks have nights sights of some kind on them.

shooter1
September 22, 2005, 09:30 AM
It's SOP for my to change the sights, reduced power firing pin spring, recoil spring and guide rod, and polish the internals after the installation of a 3.5# connector. The exception being the firing pin spring on my carry/duty guns. For those, I change to the extra power firing pin spring. I had a grip modification done on the mdl 21 to eliminate those @#$%&&**^%! finger grooves.
str1

HSMITH
September 22, 2005, 10:29 PM
All a Glock needs is qualaity sights installed and that is all. Anything else is personal preference, the stock sights are plastic junk.

SIGLOCKAUR
September 24, 2005, 12:03 AM
I've owned/own 5-6 Glocks. On each one I have replaced the sights. Just my personal opinon but I think every carry gun should have nightsights. I put MMC adjustable nightsights on mine. I've also changed over to the Wolff metal guide rod/ springs system after having two standard Glock recoil assemblies break. Also the Wolff set-up lets you adjust spring weights for your own tastes as far as load type. Again just personal preference I've put the 3.5 lb. connector and polished the internals on all my Glocks. Makes for one hell of a difference in trigger pull. Everyone at my range who's shot it wants the lighter trigger set-up after trying it. Put the heavier Wolff springs in the mags also. I do this with every gun. Weak springs are a major cause of feed problems.
These are just my personal choices in a Glock. Probably all you really need is a good set of nightsights. I just like to personalize my guns. One thing neat about the Glocks is they are so simple you can do all the work yourself. Not many guns out there you can do that with. I don't know if you've had a G30 before but that and the G19 I consider their best work, The G30 is super accurate and Glock tough. A little blocky but a very fine fighting handgun indeed. You wouldn't be better armed for combat with any other handgun made. As well with some guns yes. But better, not in my book.

HighValleyRanch
September 24, 2005, 12:19 AM
Sigglockaur,
what do you think about the glock 36?
I'ver heard mixed reviews being that it is single stack and had feeding problems.
Also, what parts do you polish inside?

boogeyman
September 24, 2005, 09:03 AM
sigglockaur- this is my first m30 and i used to have a m19 ( what a mistake on selling it) it was to afford a hk usp compact .40 though. lol. should have kept the 19 and bought more mags and ammo.

very excited about coming back to the dark side. especially being armed with their compact (not subcompact) .45

fastbolt
September 24, 2005, 03:00 PM
Aside from night sights, both of my personally owned Glocks are stock ... but then they're only used for defensive purposes as off-duty weapons.

If the stock recoil spring assembly isn't properly reseated completely into the semicircular notch at the front of the barrel lug, it's possible the rear of the rod can be damaged during reassembly and cycling of the slide. This is one of the things armorers are cautioned about in the armorer's class ...

Last one I had to replace was on a G22 where the owner failed to remember to completely reseat the assembly properly, and after he reassembled the pistol and cycled the slide the rod's base snapped off. He was a bit sheepish admitting he hadn't remembered to pay proper attention to checking to make sure he'd completely reseated the assembly in the barrel lug's notch. No telling how long he'd been reassembling his G22 without fully reseating the spring assembly after cleaning, but it finally broke that evening right after he reassembled the slide.

It's really interesting to listen and read about the complaints regarding myriad problems that can ensue after some folks start modifying and "improving" their Glocks ...

HappyGunner
September 24, 2005, 03:16 PM
http://www.topglock.com/catalog/recoil.htm
http://glockmeister.com/

boogeyman
September 24, 2005, 10:22 PM
what happens when a NY 2 trigger is mated with #3.5 connector?

i know many who bless this setup when it is with NY 1; but, I don't think I've heard anyone mention the NY 2.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong on this assumption...

when NY 1 with #3.5 creates around a 6lb. pull?

any and all replies

lastly, what is the general consensus on the new glock 30 and finding holsters? I saw a gentleman post that his new m30 w/rail would not fit existing m30 (non railed) holster (kydex). My thought is to just by leather since it will hopefully fit better? y/n What do you think?

Zekewolf
September 24, 2005, 10:35 PM
I modify and improve my Glocks, and they all work better than before I modified and improved them. :rolleyes:

16again
September 25, 2005, 01:38 PM
Only had my G23 for a few weeks. Completely stock, I like it just the way it came from Glock. :D