PDA

View Full Version : Shot out 9mm barrel?? Help !

therealsteamer
September 21, 2005, 03:04 PM
While cleaning the barrel of my Taurus PT-92 last night I saw what appreared to be barrel erosion just past the chamber. The wierd thing is that it is only on the left side, between about 7 and 11. It looks like the erosion you see on old corrosive ammo bolt guns. I bought the gun used but the barrel was pristine. I have shot no more than 5,000 rounds through it, mostly lead reloads and WWB bulk stuff. The accuracy does not seem to have dropped any. I find it very odd that it is only on the left. Anyone have any ideas?????..... :confused: :confused:

mete
September 21, 2005, 03:46 PM
I'd give it a very careful and thorough cleaning, I doubt it's erosion.

SteveinAK
September 21, 2005, 03:50 PM
If your still getting decent accuracy out of it, I wouldn't worry about it. May be leading. The WW Box is fairly stout for 9mm. I can't speak for your handloads, generally the hotter the load, the more premature the barrel will erode. The quality of the barrel also plays a part. I'd keep shooting it until it's accuracy drops off, and then find a good quality SS barrel for it.

somerled
September 21, 2005, 05:19 PM
Ditto to what mete said. Switching back and forth between lead and jacketed bullets can often make barrel fouling more noticeable. There are right ways and wrong ways of cleaning barrels. Improper cleaning messes up far more pistol barrels than running a few thousand bullets through them.