PDA

View Full Version : Who has their Browning Hi-Power mag safety disconnected?

Lavan
September 21, 2005, 10:38 AM
I had a trigger job done and told em to take out the mag safety. Yesterday I put it back in.
The pull before break is much harder, but the actual break after takeup is just as good.
WITHOUT the mag safety, it is much faster to shoot multiple targets. Seems to even lighten the pull a bit. But as far as "break" I can't tell a difference.
What's your opinion on mag safeties?

:confused:

mete
September 21, 2005, 11:48 AM
I have no use for them besides most of my guns didn't have one in the first place.

Charles S
September 21, 2005, 11:51 AM
I removed mine a long time ago and have never missed it.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15165

Charles

RickB
September 21, 2005, 01:17 PM
I've left mine in my gun, mostly because I can't get it out. What I have done is polish my magazine tubes, where they contact the disconnect plunger, and I've treated all my mags with Gun Juice. This seems to address my real complaint with the disconnect; that it prevents mags from dropping out of gun. As for the "tactical" aspect of the gun not working without a mag? I don't feel very strongly about it, one way or the other.

Wildalaska
September 21, 2005, 01:26 PM
I have the C&S trigger so now mag safety can be used

WildeasyfixAlaska

aaronrkelly
September 21, 2005, 02:41 PM
I left mine alone - honestly I am far from the skill level needed to notice the difference anyways.

Alaskanmonte
September 21, 2005, 03:49 PM
One of my Hi-powers has the mag disconnect in place, and the other does not. I like the way the trigger feels without the disconnect in place. It seems smoother (less gritty) and the mags do drop free now.

SteveinAK
September 21, 2005, 03:55 PM
I've never encountered a HP that didn't have a marked improvement in trigger pull once the mag disconnect was removed. And, like stated above, the magazines almost always will drop free once it's gone.

Lavan
September 21, 2005, 05:51 PM
My mags drop free with or without. ONLY reason I put it back in was for liability reasons.
I don't expect to, but I ....could.... shoot someone with it instead of one of the others and it is a slam dunk to convince a jury that a madman gun nut REMOVED the safety.
And NO amount of talk by YOUR lawyer will convince em otherwise.

:confused: :barf:

Te Anau
September 21, 2005, 07:35 PM
Too many people remove it because somebody tells em too.I left mine in,its not a big deal.

meanoldman
September 21, 2005, 08:03 PM
I took mine out on the one I carry.

David

varoadking
September 21, 2005, 08:57 PM
I left mine alone - honestly I am far from the skill level needed to notice the difference anyways.

Oh, you'd notice alright...trust me - you'd notice. It would also likely make you a better shot at the same time...

mbott
September 21, 2005, 09:35 PM
I currently own a FEG PJK 9HP (without the mag disconnect), a Browning Mk III in .40 caliber (with mag disconnect) and a FN 9mm (with mag disconnect). The disconnect in the FEG was removed because it wouldn't get any better with it in. The Browning's trigger is sweet and didn't need to be removed and the FN is very new and breaking in nicely.

I'll only remove them to help the trigger.

--
Mike

Eghad
September 21, 2005, 09:37 PM
If its working dont fix it..........

Lavan
September 21, 2005, 10:11 PM
The trigger on mine from the factory was .....AWFUL.
That's why I had the trigger job done.
But the ...main....thing the trigger job did was correct the horrible "stagy" break. The removal of the safety helped on the "takeup" portion, but after the trigger job (if you ignore that takeup portion) it will still shoot accurately if the "break" is clean.
Mine wasn't. I could feel at least 3 jumps during the break on the stock trigger. 2 large and one very slight.
Now....WITH ....the safety replaced, it's a gritty takeup but still a crisp and ONE stage break.

:)

jonathon
September 21, 2005, 10:42 PM
Was the original HP designed with the disconnect in it?

Stephen A. Camp
September 21, 2005, 10:43 PM
Hello. Yes, I believe that is correct.

Best.

silver-bullet
September 23, 2005, 09:35 PM
The mag-safety IS a bear to remove, mostly due to staked-in pins. I've removed two in my short life, and that's about as many as I care to tackle. My main concern has less to do with the trigger-pull (which is heavy with or without the mag safety) than it does with the fact that I do not like pistols which can only be fired with a magazine in place. If things REALLY got tough, and I lost my magazine, I'd still want the gun to SHOOT. Call me crazy. :p

DPris
September 24, 2005, 12:50 AM
A request.
Do what you want with your pistol's mag disconnect, but please stop referring to it as a magazine safety. It isn't a safety, it's a disconnect.
I've never seen Browning call it a magazine safety, and Smith & Wesson doesn't refer to it as a safety on their guns, either.
Smith & Wesson, I understand, will even remove it from your pistol if you send it to them and request it. They then stamp it "Magazine Disconnect Removed."
I mention this to help reduce the spread and acceptance of language labeling the part as a safety device. That only fosters an atmosphere of potential liability, justified or not, for those who do remove the disconnect.
Cylinder & Slide took mine out, they don't regard it as a safety. They will not de-activate any mechanism or part thereof that IS commonly designated a safety, such as pinning the grip safety on a 1911.
Thanks.
Denis