PDA

View Full Version : A quick Beretta/Taurus PT92 question

Action_Can_Do
September 20, 2005, 09:55 PM
I know that the Taurus PT92/99 series are made in a Beretta factory that Taurus bought. My question is do the Taurus versions have the same slide retention device added to them that Beretta added to their 92FS (giving it the S in the model type) after all the slide problems? I may be mistaken but didn't Taurus buy the plant before beretta added the safety feature?

SteveinAK
September 20, 2005, 09:59 PM
Easy way to check. The "Slide retainer" is actually an oversized hammer pin head. It'll look like a half-moon above the top of left grip. The pin head corresponds to a groove in the back of the left side of the slide.

therealsteamer
September 21, 2005, 05:19 PM
If you are referring to the slide being able to taken off while loaded then no it is not a problem. I have a PT-92 AF, the slide can not be taken off unless the mag is removed.

SteveinAK
September 21, 2005, 10:08 PM
I think he's refering to the slide shearing and coming back and striking the shooter, not the disassembly lever. Ever since "Sin City" came out, the questions come up several times.

therealsteamer
September 22, 2005, 06:21 PM
That would suck..... has the "problem" been fixed?

Ramcharger
September 22, 2005, 06:29 PM
AND OF COURSE IT MUST BE TRUE IF IT'S IN A MOVIE :rolleyes:

JR47
September 22, 2005, 09:20 PM
The Model 92 suffered a series of catastrophic slide failures about five years after going on-line with the military. Whether it was a materials glitch, fatigue from the number of rounds put through a particular weapon, or the use of +P+++++++++ rated ammo, the fix was the slide retainer. The problem seems to have stopped as quickly as it started, though.

The Taurus PT92, as far as I know, doesn't have the slide retainer fixture. Of course, they haven't had any reported slide failures, either. :)

shield20
September 23, 2005, 06:23 AM
Taurus bought the Beretta factory in 1980 - before the slide stop change which was added after the US went with it.

IM_Lugger
September 23, 2005, 08:28 AM
I would't say the slide thing was catastrophic; there were only a few (3 or 4)reported cases where the slide had actually injured the shooter. That's not a lot out of hundred of thousand of guns that were used. ;) And yes it was fixes in the '88 the same or next year it happaned.

So Taurus doesn't have anyrthing to retain the stop from going all the way back?

Jack Malloy
September 23, 2005, 09:45 AM
No, the Taurus does not have it as there was never any instance of a catastrophic Taurus slide failure.
Also, according to most experts (as compared to Chairborn Rangers) the reason for the handful of Beretta m-9 slides was figured out years ago.
It seems the small number of slides that did fracture were being used on weapons that had been fitted with silencers at some point in their use. The extra weight of the silencer caused more energy than the locking block was designed for and made the slide crack around the locking lug areas.
So as long as you are not using a silencer or one of those extra long barrels you probably have nothing to worry about.
I know I don't.
By the way, the orignal Beretta 92 had a step around the slide that was later milled away. Later on Beretta came out with the Brigadier models that had steel humps left over the locking block area to appease folks who still worried that their slides might crack.
I have seen cracked 1911 slides but never a cracked Beretta slide, but then again those were old WWII or earlier guns.