PDA

View Full Version : Ruger KP944.

lil_bro
September 20, 2005, 09:36 PM
I am thinking about buying a ruger KP944 in 40S&W to carrying with me when I go hiking would this be a good choice?

Thanks for any info.

Michael.

denfoote
September 21, 2005, 06:12 AM
That or the GP 100.
I prefer to carry a .357mag recolver when I go tramping out in the desert!!
It's good for two legged, no legged, and generally most four legged beasts I might encounter!!

trigger45
September 21, 2005, 10:08 PM
It would do just fine.

lil_bro
September 22, 2005, 06:08 PM
I have done some looking and have deciced to buy the Ruger P345PR in .45 insted of the KP944.

Does any one know if the P345PR has any jaming problems of any type and if it would to be a good choice as well.

Thanks for any input.
Michael.

LotI
September 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
I can't recommend the P944 to anyone unless they need a cheap .40. I just traded my off since it was so inaccurate. Others on this board have noted the same problems with this gun in .40.

EricReynolds
December 29, 2008, 12:24 AM
It's a great gun! I love mine and would recommend it to anyone.

bigghoss
December 29, 2008, 01:55 AM
I have done some looking and have deciced to buy the Ruger P345PR in .45 insted of the KP944.

Does any one know if the P345PR has any jaming problems of any type and if it would to be a good choice as well.

as someone who has a p345 I think you should get a p90 instead or a p97.

what kinds of critters do you expect to encounter while out and about? I generally prefer a .357 or bigger revolver but I'm in rural Oregon where you're just as likely to run across a black bear as you are a meth lab. actually the meth labs are more common as well as more dangerous.

Sgt.Fathead
December 29, 2008, 04:00 AM
Well, first off you've got the right brand of firearms!

I have the P345 and a P90, my wife has a P94, and there's a stable of wheel guns from Ruger in our revolver safe, including (6) SP models and (3) GPs, two of them being the same KGP-141, 4" SS .357 Magnum. I think the .357 Magnum is a fine all around cartridge and the GP100 in 4" is the finest brush gun ever but this is the semi-auto forum so let's head back there.

LotI had written:
I can't recommend the P944 to anyone unless they need a cheap .40. I just traded my off since it was so inaccurate. Others on this board have noted the same problems with this gun in .40.
To which I take exception. The P94 is a great .40 S&W platform regardless of it's low price. it is not 'cheap' by any means, it is a good value as are all Ruger firearms. You're thinking KelTec perhaps? Further, inaccuracy is not a problem for me, my wife and indeed, new shooters whom I've instructed using this firearm. It eats crappy Wolf steel cased, WWWB, MagTech, Federal, anything we feed it and functions fine so long as I, a self confessed revolver man, remember to lube it appropriately.

I prefer the ergonomics and hand fit to function of the P345 more than the P90 and I prefer it to the P94 as well. it fits well in my grip, sights line up nicely and it throws the rounds where I'd like them to be. Same as the P94 and the P90, it has eaten everything I've fed it and still comes for more IF I lube it well. As a revolver person I have been known to keep a semi-auto a bit more dry than it's operation requires.

The .40 S&W is a great cartridge and it fills a nice niche between 9mm and .45 ACP in the semi-auto caliber range. It has more capacity than the .45 with less stopping power (by far) and yet conversely, more stopping power than the 9mm with slightly less capacity. That's all rudimentary though, right? Because the gun to carry ANY time is the one with which you are most able to accurately place rounds down range, the caveat being that a .22 revolver is not the side arm for Alaska and a Smith .500 is probably overkill for the PA woods.

On a final note, I favor revolvers for many reasons but in the backwoods especially, they are so much more simple to use, to carry, to bang about a bit.

Good Luck, Good Shooting!