PDA

View Full Version : S&W 41 questions

Trackrock
September 19, 2005, 10:23 PM
O.K. everyone this is my first post. I love 22. and center fire steel plate, pin, & bulls eye shoots. The guns that I go to the range with are a Buckmark 22.L camper & Kimber custom eclipse II 45. I just got a S&W 41, old but in good shape. I don’t know a lot about the 41 like serial # decoding and what ammo the gun likes. Any info will be deeply appreciated!

Majic
September 20, 2005, 03:49 AM
Post the serial number (with x's for last 2 or 3 numbers) and someone will date it for you. Like any other .22lr you will have to experiment with ammo to find what it likes. Some can be finicky about what you feed them.

JoeHatley
September 20, 2005, 09:40 AM
With the factory springs, S&W recomends CCI Standard Velocity ammo. There are other weight springs available from www.smith-wesson.com or www.gunsprings.com to match other speed ammo.

Good Luck...

Joe

Mark54g
September 20, 2005, 09:52 AM
I found this out for myself in my beretta, but PMC zappers are much more accurate than they should be at that price :). You should try different ammo and make sure for yourself, but its worth it to give it a go.

Lots of other .22LR reviewers agree about the zappers, but your mileage may vary.

stang46gt
September 20, 2005, 11:14 AM
My S & W 41 loves to eat federal match .22 found at wally world. Box of 325, about $8.96 or something like that. New model 41 and I get no jams with this stuff.

Trackrock
September 20, 2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the info on the ammo. I just got back from the range where I tried some different rounds. In my Buckmark the CCI mini mag work best, but in the Smith they was all over the place. I tried the CCI standered next, and got a much better group and no feed problems that come with the mini mag. I am growing to get some of the zappers next and see how they do. So far the 41 is starting to live up to the rep. any more info (tips, FYI, s experience) on the 41 is still very much welcome

Thanks

T. O'Heir
September 20, 2005, 08:41 PM
Smith 41's are very picky about ammo. Mine(had it for 25 years or so) won't shoot or cycle anything but Remington Target velocity and IVI Standard velocity(don't think it's available Stateside). It won't cycle anything else. You'll likely find it shoots circles around your Buckmark with target ammo. Mind you, all .22's require you to try as many brands as you can to find the one or two that shoot best in your pistol. Even two identical pistols will shoot the same ammo differently.
If the grips you have don't feel right, there's lots of aftermarket grips available. I have full target grips on mine. No handgun hunting up here.

mark8252
September 20, 2005, 10:04 PM
I had trouble with both my Ruger KMK512 and my Ruger 22/45 jamming untill I started using copper plated ammo. Stopped instantly.
The Walmart version works just fine.

:) :) :) :)

sig-it
September 21, 2005, 09:39 PM
in my m41, i use a variety of ammo...mostly cc1 green tags..occaisionaly i use remington target..(green box with the blue stripe)...i have yet to encounter a problem with the green tags, i get a fte once in about every 50 rnds depending on the batch....

i tend to try and encourage people from using bulk ammo through the m41...the lower quality control and dirtier powder makes a slightly finiky gun more touchy..(in my experience)...

and i have been told by several bullseye shooters to avoid high velocity rounds...the gun was designed for target use, not self defense...so out of precausion and care, i use target ammo exclusivly....

i hope you enjoy youe m41..its is by far my favorite firearm...

buffertech.com offers a recoil buffer that can also reduce the wear on your m41...

nill grips are great, i have the special grips with thumbrests...i have relatively large hands...with the bulk of my hands size made up by my palms...the malm swells in the nills seem to fit better...

http://nill-griffe.de/cms_usa/index.php?land_id=2&guntyp=2&manufacturer=1&id_navigation=4

hope ive helped

Trackrock
September 21, 2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys four the help with the ammo. I tried a few other rounds today and the cci standard is still the best so far. Also thanks for the grip link Sig-it. The grips on it are nice to be stock but my fingers are shorter when compared to my palm. A new grip might be on the need to get list.
While on the subject of the 41 any info on the ser. #. It starts with an (A) and the last two is 18. I assume the last two numbers are the year?, but what year? And is the (A) good, bad, or (what is this guy talking about it don’t mean anything) just shoot and be happy!

toast
September 22, 2005, 11:29 AM
If you are lucky enough to have an old enough model you may have an adjustable trigger...

T. O'Heir
September 22, 2005, 03:16 PM
"...told by several bullseye shooters to avoid high velocity rounds..." Lots of 41's are used for hunting squirrels where it's legal. HV ammo won't hurt it like it will some pure target pistols.
I suspect you'll have to contact S&W to see if they have any data. Mind you, S&W has changed owners a lot and they may not have it. There is this book though. http://www.chartingnature.com/books.cfm/prints/book=B5120