PDA

View Full Version : Baby Eagle 9mm

REELZARUBA
September 19, 2005, 08:13 PM
My Son Likes The Feel Of The Baby Eagle, So I Let Him Talk Me Into Buying It. We Went And Shot 200 Plus Rounds This Weekend.iam A Sig Person Myself, But The Feeding Was A Problem After About 150 Rounds.and 12 Or So Rounds That Did Not Discharge. The Fireing Pin Looked As If It Was Not Hitting Hard Enough, And Some On The Edge Of The Primer,someone Tell About Thier Baby.

rdebert
September 19, 2005, 08:39 PM
No problems with any of mine at all. What kind of ammo were you using? Did you buy it new or used? Is it the all steel or polymer version? Did you thoroughly clean it before firing it?

Wynterbourne
September 19, 2005, 08:50 PM
Did you thoroughly clean it before firing it?

That is a major concern with the Baby Eagle. When they're shipped into the country, they're shipped in this greaselike material that may, or may not, be Cosmoline. If you've never dealt with much Cosmoline in the past, it is a material of such thick consistency that one might almost be able to use to patch their roof, or their driveway. It MUST be cleaned in great detail before firing, of one will have issues.

Now, if you're absolutely certain that you cleaned it inside and out, like cleaning the latrine before inspection, then you should consider sending it to Magnum Research.

Mine was problem free for many a round, until damaged by a third party. It fired every single round without a hitch, ejected the round with some enthusiasm, regardless of what I put into it. I fired American Eagle, Winchester White Box, PMC, Federal, CCI, and Remington out of it, at various times. It didn't have a single problem.

Admittedly this was the all steel 9mm version. They've had some issues with the .45 and the polymers.

REELZARUBA
September 19, 2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks For The Advice On The Cleaning Tip. I Cleaned It But Probably Not Good Enough. I Will Take It Down And Give A Good Going Over.that Makes Sence And Makes ME Feel Better About Listing To My Son. It Is The Steel Frame And Heavy Out Front Which He Likes For Muzzle Flip. He Shot Very Well With It So Hate To Think It Might Be A Problem

rdebert
September 19, 2005, 09:59 PM
Get that cleaning solvent down into the firing pin channel and let it soak a little. Factory "protective" or "shipping" grease can be tacky causing the firing pin to stick. One of the key reasons a new firearm needs a good detailed cleaning (used gun may have not been maintained properly and have a large build up of powder residue).

When I buy a new gun I take the same basic steps. Clean thoroughly (including magzines). Work the action to get comfortable with it. Clean thoroughly again. Take it to the range with a few different brands and types of ammo. Fire a few shots of each brand of ammo to test for overall function...maybe 50 or so rounds in total on first day. If no problems are apparent. Go home. Clean thorougly. Wait for a different day. Clean thoroughly right before leaving for next range trip. THEN, begin serious training with that specific firearm. But..this is just me. Been thinking about getting some suspenders to hold up my belt.

Geopagus
September 19, 2005, 10:15 PM
My NIB 9 mm Steel Framed Baby Eagle had 3 FTF on the first range trip. Come to find out that I should have throughly cleaned it out before taking the gun on its maiden voyage to the range. Also, watch for limp wristing the gun. I really believe that this gun needed a bit of a break-in. Two range trips MAX, should do the trick. Now, my Baby Eagle works flawless with HP and FMJ's of different brands, including Federal, Blazer, etc. It's a pleasure to shoot. Since the initial 3 FTF on the initial range trip, I've had NO problems of any kind after a couple hundred more rounds. I certainly have no qualms about carrying it for SD.

Lucky 7
September 20, 2005, 04:47 PM
I used Rem Oil and a compressed air duster to clean my pistols. Try it and also dont be afraid to really bust the pistol down.
Good luck
Semper Fi!
-L7

Bender711
September 20, 2005, 07:39 PM
yea, I have a 9mm baby eagle and i found that using hanson ammo is a bad i dea because it would missfire 1 out of 5 shots, but using any others it has been fine. although i am having a lot of acc. (accuracy) problems.

Wynterbourne
September 20, 2005, 07:49 PM
although i am having a lot of acc. problems.

Define 'acc. problems'.

Items such as holsters, magazines, and what have you? If so, tell me what you're looking for. I've got lists. :D

Bender711
September 21, 2005, 06:43 PM
sorry i shouldn't have abrevaited, i ment accuracy.
ill edit that post.
but i am looking to get a holsert for it. :D

Lucky 7
September 24, 2005, 02:12 PM
I know it may be late but i just thought of something! The recoil spring. CZ clones are imfamous for being undersprung! Up it to a 16# or 18# Wolff spring. Just a though.

Semper Fi!
-L7

PS I use the 18# and it can be a b!+ch to operate the tiny slide, but the recoil seems to be cut by a 1/3. Just another thought...

HaiSpeedShooter
September 25, 2005, 01:38 AM
I have the exact problem but mines is a polymer version..i thought it might have to do with the firing pin block and took it out...seemed to remedy the problem but i'm not entirely sure..tried putting the block back in but ended up losing the small spring that goes into that piece..now i'm thinking of sending it in to MR to get a new firing pin/firing pin block/small spring(i'm thinking there might be a parts fitment problem that might cause a jam up giving you a weak primer hit, from what i hear they import the guns from Israel in parts to avoid high taxation then have employees assemble them from different pieces from different guns..just what i read though so don't quote me on that)..and just to have it looked at. If you come up with a solution please post it so i can attempt to fix the problem before sending it away. I sure love this gun as it is my first. It's just a shame to have a gun that doesn't function as it should.