PDA

View Full Version : Break in Ammo? Quality of ammo?

condor86
September 19, 2005, 11:54 AM
Hello all! I get my first handgun this wednesday (after 10 days of waiting) its a .45 SW99.

My main question is how to break it in...if there is such a thing. I sell boats and there is a definite break in procedure involved, is it like that for guns?

I have been told to clean it first....but can i run inexpensive ammo through it without causing any problems?

Any help would be great, tips, suggestions thank you.

aaron

Eghad
September 19, 2005, 12:00 PM
I would suggest a field strip and clean....

then a cleaning about every 100-150 rounds

condor86
September 19, 2005, 12:52 PM
where can i get info on a field strip? Sorry, i am a total newby. also what about the ammo quality again, does it matter? thank you.

TheEgg
September 19, 2005, 05:00 PM
I would suggest staying with factory ammo. It is very easy to get bad re-loaded/re-manufactured stuff. Stick to Winchester, Remington, UMC, Blazer, etc. Or, my favorite cheap blasting stuff, Wolf polymer coated (ducks and covers! :D ) But, you don't need expensive Premium ammunition for just wringing out your new gun. You may want to invest in some after you get familiar with it, and when you want to put it in service as a defensive weapon.

Your owners manual should have the instructions on field stripping and cleaning. Follow those instructions -- your dealer (if he is a good one) should also be happy to run you through the basic manual of arms and field stripping.

Most manufacturers don't have elaborate break in procedures for a basic service pistol like yours (for very expensive target grade rifles and pistols, this can be different). In my experience, you may get one or two failure to feeds or failure to ejects in the first 100 rounds. After that, it should be dead reliable -- if not, I would worry about it, and take it back to the dealer/send it back to the factory. I just don't believe a well made service pistol should take more than that amount of break-in.

And oh yeah -- feed it a variety of manufacturers ammo at first (in other words don't buy 500 rounds of the same thing). It is possible that there is a brand that your new gun just simply won't like. So if you DO have some problems, try a different brand of ammo and see if that is the problem.

Have fun and good luck!!!!!!!!

RsqVet
September 20, 2005, 01:25 PM
My standard drill is to clean and lube a new gun then go out and shoot 300-400 rounds of proactice ammo through it, then if I like it and there are no problems shoot several boxes of carry ammo. If still no problmes I clean it and repeat a few boxes of carry ammo and then clean it again and am happy knowing it's feed more than 150 rounds of carry ammo though there are thoses who will say it should be more and it probibly should be. I alos will always shoot off whatever mag of carry ammo I ahve loaded at the end of a range session --- I want to know it will work with the gun dirty and rotate ammo about every 4-6 weeks.

gddyup
September 20, 2005, 07:42 PM
I'm by no means an expert, but what I did with my new XD9 was to pop the slide off, lubricate anything that was dry, then head out to the range and proceeded to put 150 rounds of Winchester white box target ammo right down it's throat. Everything went dandy and the gun fired perfectly.

Once I got home, I stripped it down again and cleaned it out. I made sure that I lubed everything back up and I'll be heading to the range this Saturday to put another 200 rounds through it! :)

I'd just follow your manual and field strip your pistol to make sure that everything is slightly lubricated. Just make sure none of the moving parts are bone dry before you head out to the range for the first time. If anything is dry, lightly lubricate and then re-assemble. That should get ya going!

Always remember to clean and re-lube your pistol after every firing session if at all possible! You may be able to go a few range sessions without cleaning but you want that weapon to fire when you need it! Cleaning and inspecting after every session helps make sure that firing is what happens when you pull that trigger!

T. O'Heir
September 20, 2005, 08:29 PM
"...a total newby..." As in never fired a handgun before? Never fired anything before? I'd suggest you take a course. Pop into your local range/club or ask the guys in the shop where to take one. Range safety, basic shooting, etc.
"...can I run inexpensive ammo through it..." Depends. Some handguns will shoot inexpensive ammo well. Some won't. Some will operate just fine with inexpensive ammo, but won't be accurate. The only way to find out is to shoot.
"...Break in period/method..." That will cause a heated discussion. I've never bothered with one at all with no fuss. Some people will insist you have to do it.
Always clean a BNIB firearm. There's usually oil based preservatives on and in them that needs to come out. Relax. If you can get a BNIB outboard running, a firearm is a piece of cake.

Te Anau
September 20, 2005, 09:49 PM
I like to break in (300 rounds or so) a new handgun with Wolf FMJ.Winchesters WUSS box is too erratic and frequently underpowered for proper break in.

Gary L. Griffiths
September 20, 2005, 11:32 PM
Winchesters WUSS box is too erratic and frequently underpowered for proper break in.
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color],O? I shoot WWB all the time in my PT-145, and have never had a misfire or any evidence of inconsistency. Have even been known to carry it in a spare magazine when I'm short on Hydra-Shoks.

Would recommend you buy a couple of 100-rd boxes of WWB at Wally World (around $40.00), then shoot them through your new gun in two or three range sessions. Ditto on T.O'Heir's suggestion that you get some training if you're totally new to shooting. Take it slow, and don't be afraid to ask questions. That's how you find out things you need to know.