PDA

View Full Version : A 'GUN STORE GUY STORY" If It was not me I would not have beleived it!

FLA2760
September 18, 2005, 03:08 PM
Hi
Went to the local gun shop on my way home Friday. I had a sweet little Kel Tec P3AT in my hands. I told the clerk that I have a P32 and I am very satisfied with it. I asked if the .380 came with a spare magazine and he says..." Oh You Can Use Your .32 Magazines in the .380 because they are both Kel-Tecs" ! It was like an episode of the X-Files. I was there yet I did not believe I had just heard that. My response was oh really, and after that I was actually at a loss for words. I left without the P3AT because it was $299.00 for the blued version. Amazing. I can hear the X-files theme as I type this. LOL

Steve :D

michael t
September 18, 2005, 03:19 PM
WOW! dumb help and overpriced guns a winning combo. This place will make a mint off yuppies. :D

dave_in_delaware
September 18, 2005, 03:59 PM
That's cool. I guess I can use my XD-9 subbie mags in my [future] M1 Garand because they're both Springfields. Awesome. That's good to know. I'm already saving money on extra mags. :D

MilitantBob
September 18, 2005, 04:14 PM
When I picked up my GP-100 from my local Gun shop the owner got in an argument with me about using .38 specials in a .357 magnum. He said you couldn't just put "bullets" in any gun you want just cause it looks like it will fit.

He said he would sell it to me, but that he wouldn't be held responsible when I lost a finger. I just told him not to bother, and never came back.

Sometimes I think some gun store owners just kind of decide to go into business without any knowledge of the industry they are entering...

Webleymkv
September 18, 2005, 09:42 PM
The sad thing is someone will probably take thes people seriously. Now THAT'S scary. Blind leading the blind ya know.

kgpcr
September 18, 2005, 11:23 PM
ask the guy if he has one of the new handguns with a 6" barrel that will shoot either .38 or 12GA 3.5 inch mags. all in the same gun with no mods. just think you can load two .38 and four 12GA or vice versa. He has probably seen them and even fired them before

leadcounsel
September 19, 2005, 12:27 AM
I was once told that I could shout a .30-06 thru my 8mm Mauser by an idiot at a gun store.

CajunBass
September 19, 2005, 02:29 AM
I was told I could use .380 (9x17) in my Makarov (9x18).

PaleGreenHorse
September 19, 2005, 03:09 AM
I was told that the 10mm didn't exist and that I really meant 9mm when I asked for ammunition, I know its a little hard to find but please! :rolleyes:

Ac1d0v3r1d3
September 19, 2005, 04:41 AM
how can these people get jobs at gun stores? gives me hope for future employment at a gunshop :D

AK103K
September 19, 2005, 05:23 AM
I was once told by a supposedly knowledgeable and well known gun store owner around here, that I could also shoot .38 Supers out of the Colt 1911 .38 Wadcutter gun I had in my hands. I had never seen one and was asking to make sure it was tagged correctly. I should have bought it as it appeared to be in great shape and the price was cheap and apparently they didnt make to many. Unless I know the shop owner really well, I put most of them in the "used car salesman" category, especially with used guns. If you dont know your stuff and watch out for yourself, no one else will.

USP.40
September 19, 2005, 06:54 AM
I went to my local store asked for .308Win and the guy brought back .30 Carbine. I said no then he brings back .380Auto! I figure if you work at a gun store or even Wal-Mart you should at least have some basic knowledge of firearms and ammo :eek: .

newworldCurmudgeon
September 19, 2005, 07:17 AM
I was lucky, I allready owned weapons when I worked at walmart, and I had a retired Gunny, and a bench shooter who also worked in the sporting goods section. The conversations were quite fun at times. If there were any questions we could not answer, we would send them to one of the local gun stores (usually only if they had a weapon in a nonstandard/wierd caliber). I never sold anyone a weapon they didn't want, and did quite a bit of "special ordering" for people. What the heck, a call to the supplier to see if they had "it" in stock, 3 days to ship in, took care of any waiting periods. I know we were rare sporting goods section for Wally World (especially in the 'burbs of chicago), and that was several years, and several countries ago.

Double Naught Spy
September 19, 2005, 07:39 AM
Oh You Can Use Your .32 Magazines in the .380 because they are both Kel-Tecs

Somehow, I doubt this guy will ever be a rocket scientist.

JR47
September 19, 2005, 08:30 AM
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was talking about how his ammo troubles were over. I asked him what that meant, and he told me that a Gun Store in Pa, where he deer hunted every year, had told him that his caliber was readily available to them. I asked him just what he was shooting, and he said that it was his father's old Savage lever-action. When I asked him what caliber it was in, he said .303. Cool, I wanted to know where they had found this stockpile of old ammo, and he told me that they had sold him fresh Remingtin ammo. Needless to say, when I went with him to look at his "find", they had sold him .303 Enfield. Comparing the two, they weren't even close.

I did manage to locate some .303 Savage at the Old Western Scrounger for him. He passed away last year, but his son inherited both the rifle, and the proper ammo. :)

AMT8951
September 19, 2005, 09:38 AM
A few years back I went to the local K-Mart to buy some .223 ammo. I asked the guy behind the counter, he looked around for a while, then came back with a box of rifle ammo. He held it up and stated " Don't have any 223, but we have some .224 magnum. Is that close enough?" :eek: I don't buy ammo, or much of anything else, at K-Mart anymore.
The guy's at the local Wal-Mart and Gander Mtn are a little better. They may not know a whole lot about guns, but at least the'll tell you up front that they don't.

Webleymkv
September 19, 2005, 10:28 AM
I was told I could use .380 (9x17) in my Makarov (9x18).

Actually you can but accuracy will suck because of the undersize bullet. The Soviets had the idea that they could use someone else's ammo (in an emergency of course) but no one could use theirs.

progunner1957
September 19, 2005, 12:45 PM
I think I can match that one...

I went to the Indy 1500 gun show awhile back with a buddy and his BIL (brother in-law). The BIL brought his SIG P220 .45 auto and was looking to buy some extra mags for it. At the entrance to the show, the powers that be took the P220, made sure it was empty, locked the slide back and put an orange zip tie through the barrel and out the ejection port so it could not be loaded.

After an hour or so of looking at vendor's tables, BIL says he found the mags he wanted and was rummaging at the table. The next proclamation from BIL is that "these .45 mags are junk - they don't seat right."

My buddy and I looked over to see BIL putting .45 mags in his P220 - 1911 .45 mags, not SIG P220 mags. :barf: (Talk about a case of the [email protected])

We both looked at each other and rolled our eyes and shook our heads, making a mental note to never take this clown to the range with us.

At least he didn't shoot himself or one of us...

leadcounsel
September 19, 2005, 12:58 PM
It's entertaining to evesdrop over a gunstore employee giving his sales pitch about a gun to another person and listening to the smoke that they blow...

Webleymkv
September 19, 2005, 03:47 PM
It's entertaining when the person getting the smoke knows their stuff. It's sad when it's a newbie who takes the garbage as gospel.

zzirg
September 19, 2005, 04:02 PM
and did you know that you can shoot 45acp rounds in a 45-70 because in actuality they both have a 45 in the cartridge classification. :eek:

Mike Irwin
September 19, 2005, 07:21 PM
Oh? Really?

Could you demonstrate for me, please?

With one of the store guns and magazines?

Baker
September 19, 2005, 09:21 PM
"A hydrashok will not kill anyone through a household wall. It dumps most of its energy into the wall." :eek:

4V50 Gary
September 19, 2005, 09:33 PM
I'm with Dave in Delaware. Since I have a Colt pistol, I can use either the magazine or the ammunition for the pistol in the AR. Neato! :cool:

rgoudy1975
September 19, 2005, 09:40 PM
Sadly, a really reputable fella at the local Gander told me that the Bersa Thunder that I was looking at was DA only, not DA/SA. I just said, "oh really" and bit my lip. Otherwise, this guy is pretty knowledgeable.

dr.magnum
September 20, 2005, 09:10 AM
I went to a store near where I work looking for 6.5Swede ammo. After looking on the shelves the guy gave me 6.5Carcano. I explained that it wasn't right, he mumbled about all those strange foreign guns. He said he knew good American guns like Remingtons, besides, he was the gunsmith and didn't bother with foreign crap!

Webleymkv
September 20, 2005, 10:21 AM
I had exactly the opposite experience, I went looking for 6.5 Carcano and the gut directed me to 6.5 Swede and when corrected made a joke about French Rifles. When I told him it was actually Italian, he said "French, Italian, all the same thing: shot once and dropped once." Haven't been back there since. Man, that Carcano fodder is hard to find.

SteveinAK
September 20, 2005, 09:54 PM
I once offered to help a younger guy at the range I used to frequent, because he looked like he was having trouble chambering rounds in his rifle (he was pushing on the bolt with everything he had). Sure enough, the case he was trying to chamber wouldn't go in (it was a 7mm STW). I looked at the barrel and yup, 7mm Rem Mag. THE GUNSHOP HE BOUGHT THE RIFLE AT also was kind enough to throw in the free box of ammo. And this was a gunshop I used to shop at, I would have expected this kind of stupidity at Wally-World...