PDA

View Full Version : Llama factory closed...

kymasabe
September 18, 2005, 08:52 AM
I was just reading on BersaTalk that the Llama factory closed and apparently their 1911's are now darn near impossible to find new. There is a really good post about the Llama/Bersa/Firestorm relationship and apparently Bersa isn't affected but I think we've seen the end of Llama for a while.

Tamara
September 18, 2005, 09:05 AM
If there were any justice in the world, Llama would have gone toes up a decade ago, and Astra & Star would still be making pistols.

Hard Ball
September 18, 2005, 10:14 AM
Sorry Tamara, but there's not.

liliysdad
September 18, 2005, 10:30 AM
Odd as it sounds, I think Astra and Star were making guns that were too nice, and they ran themselves out of business. No one wanted to pay a deent price for a high quality pistol made in Spain, when they could buy a sh1t Llama for a lot less that looked as nice.

The Firestar .45 has always been a want of mine. The PD was cool as well.

citizen
September 18, 2005, 10:59 AM
Gotta agree with Tam, she nailed it. :(

Webleymkv
September 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
There's a Firestar in a local shop that'd be mine by now if I weren't worried about the availability of parts.

kymasabe
September 18, 2005, 12:39 PM
You mean FireStorm? The website says the FireStorm 1911 Gov't parts are interchangable with most 1911's, even lists the parts that ARE interchangable and I think it lists everything but the frame. Hey, if a builder can make a worldclass shooter out of a Norinco, why not a Llama?

liliysdad
September 18, 2005, 01:09 PM
No. A firestar is not a Llama or a firestorm. It was a 1911esques subcompact availablein 9mm, 40 and 45. Steel frame, single action, excellent little guns. Basically a next generation Star PD.

The Firestorm 1911s are made by Llama, sold by Bersa/Firestorm. I would imagine these to be going away quite soon as Llama is no more. Furthermore, a Norinco and a Llama are worlds apart. Worlds.

If you need a good, cheap 1911, get a Rock Island/Armscor. These are 1911 clones, with 100% interchangeability, all for 275-350 bucks.

res1b3uq
September 18, 2005, 02:52 PM
The PD is still a dandy little pistol. I have one strapped to my waist right now. I just got it back from Sprinco. They updated the recoil action on it so I don't have to worry about buffers anymore.

michael t
September 18, 2005, 02:59 PM
One of 2 reasons I sold my Firestar 1st was parts and 2nd was Caliber. Was a 40 and I just couldn't warm up to it. Great little pistol but a bit heavy for their size I would seriously look at a 45 or 9 even knowing parts are scarce. You can find mags and springs but other....

Mike H
September 24, 2005, 02:24 PM
If there were any justice in the world, Llama would have gone toes up a decade ago

I don't think there's any joy to be gained from the demise of any firearms manufacturer. There are precious few of them as it is in my opinion.

yorec
September 24, 2005, 03:44 PM
I was salivating (years ago) over a Firestar in .40 Sw when I noticed an Astra A-75 in .40 SW... bought the Astra and the only regret I've ever had is that I didn't pick the Firestar up later as well.

Never has a Llama product crossed my radar. (well I did look twice when they came out with thier Warthog, but the urge quickly passed when I handled one)

Have to agree with Tamara. :o

USP45usp
September 24, 2005, 03:46 PM
Amen Tam :)

Astra & Star would still be making pistols.

I have a Star Model Super and now a Ballister Molina. Man, I love the feel of these guns.

Wayne