PDA

View Full Version : 1911A1 safety in holster

Avizpls
September 17, 2005, 08:39 PM
Is it a big issue if my IWB holster from fist (#A1) doesnt cover the thumb safety of my Kimber Ultra Carry? Is there a substantial risk of it being disengaged, and then beyond that, any risk of a discharge?

Just wondering if this holster will be safe. I dont see much of an alternative if I want to be able to get a healty grip on it to draw.

Thanks much

aaronrkelly
September 17, 2005, 08:49 PM
I have several holsters for my Kimber and none of them cover the safety - I dont see how it could be a problem. Look at it this way - if the safety becomes disengaged then the following would still have to occur before the gun would fire:

Grip safety disengaged (by a firm grip)
Trigger pulled (while the grip safety is disengaged, not likely on accident)

AD not likely......I would wager to say the gun is just as safe with the safety off as most guns are. Just dont pull the trigger until your ready...problem solved.

Avizpls
September 17, 2005, 09:03 PM
Yea, that was my general opinion, but I saw a few comments around that might suggest otherwise.

Besides, I think its unlikley that it would become disengaged anyways

hkg3
September 17, 2005, 09:39 PM
I use a Glaco Concealable Bolt Holster (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=209&GunID=28) , which does not cover the safety; I have had no problems what so ever.

If you have an ambi safety, you can control the tension of the safety by how tight you tighten down the top right grip screw.