PDA

View Full Version : Springfield shooting low

Jshaw
September 17, 2005, 02:29 PM
I have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and it shoots about 3 inches low all the time. The only change that i have done to it was replace the trigger with an adjustable one. It shot low before then but i thought it was just from the horrible factory trigger that was on it. So having replaced it and now shooting about 300 rounds through it. I am wondreing what to do. Do i send it back to Springfield or put new sights on it or what? Any suggestions and experience would be greatly appreciated

jacobtowne
September 17, 2005, 02:31 PM
Aim higher. :D
Seriously, is the windage OK? What kind of ammo are you using? Sometime a change in bullet weight can affect height of impact.
JT

flycaster
September 17, 2005, 03:22 PM
I love my Loaded, but it had the same problem. Apparently a lot of 1911's from S.A. shoot below point of aim. Your choices: replace the rear sight with an adjustable one (what I did), or contact Springfield... they'll replace the front sight with a shorter one, gratis.

Chuck

kozak6
September 17, 2005, 03:32 PM
I don't know about 1911's, but with the CZ52, if you don't hold it -just- right, it will shoot low. Could something like that be the problem?

us.armysniper
September 17, 2005, 06:04 PM
I had the same problem at first with my xd. but after shooting many rds and lots of practice i got to hit right were I want it. It took me a while but i figured out that you have to line up the sights on top of where you want it to hit instead of the 6 o'clock postion like i had been taught many years ago. So i just disect the x evenly and shoot and, that is what works for me.

railroader
September 17, 2005, 08:56 PM
Contact springfield, you can probably get a taller rear sight. I'm like you I want my guns to shoot to point of aim or just a little high. Mark

flycaster
September 18, 2005, 03:59 PM
Taller rear sights are rare. Springfield will give you a shorter front sight.

Chuck

h_tolley
September 18, 2005, 06:52 PM
I haven't owned a Springfield for 3 years or so, but back then I owned several "loaded" and stainless "loaded" full sized 1911s. Every one of them shot low, and would shoot to point of aim with a shorter front sight.

topspin43
September 18, 2005, 07:00 PM
Cheapest things first...

Try a heavier bullet and see what happens.

Try a same grain bullet in JHP instead of FMJ and see what happens.

What have you got to lose? I was amazed when I was first told to do this and tried it!

flycaster
September 18, 2005, 07:21 PM
topspin- what bullet would be heavier than the standard 230 gr., .45ACP load?

Chuck

TysonTB
September 21, 2005, 10:31 PM
Put about 150 rounds through my OTB 1911 mil- spec and it was also shooting lower than point of aim. To those of you that sent it back to SA did they make you pay for shipping?

jcims
October 2, 2005, 07:18 AM
I just recently picked up a Springfield 1911 loaded with the novak combat sights. My first 100 rounds were plinking bowling pins, but yesterday i was putting them on paper and noticed the same thing.

From 50' with 230gr WWB it was hitting anywhere from 3-8" low, depending on the shooter (3 different guys, including myself, shot it).

The gun is brand new and has some finish problems on the slide (looks like some kind of dings from handling). I will probably mention this, too, but wondered if anyone knows what distance these sights should be zeroed at.

shooter429
October 2, 2005, 10:43 AM
I must make some suggestions that would normally rely on information that was not supplied in this case. In other words, I am making some assumptions. The first is that you are a relative neophyte. So I will respond with that assumption in mind.

a) Shoot from a firm pistol rest on a bench. It needs to be steady as a rock and consistent for each and every shot. A ransom rest is a good idea. Check them out http://www.ransomrest.com/ppage.html

b) Shoot when you are fresh-NOT when you are tired or have been drinking coffee for the last 8 hours (for obvious reasons)

c) Maintain proper breath control and trigger control. flinching and ynkin the trigger tends to pull the muzzle down and left for the average person. Try DRY FIRE until the trigger break suprises you. Focus on the front sight and follow through.

1) Springfield pistols are designed to use a "6-oclock" sight picture at 25 yards with standard ammo. Change any variable here though and you change the formula and therefore the outcome.

For example, if you move closer or farther away from the target, you will need to establish different points of aim or adjust the sights accordingly. Or in your case, switch to a "point of aim sight picture" at that distance instead of the 6-o'clock. That should solve the problem.

Also, since you are running fixed sights, you can also use more or less front sight to get the same change in bullet inpact area as changing your whole sight picture, but I don't like that option. It will take some trial and error to figure it out and as soon as you change ammo, you start all over. (I would immediatly invest in adjustable sights on a Springfield 1911). That solves the problem.

But another thing, as changing bullet weight has been offered as a possibility, I will say change bullet velocity. Slow the bullet down-a lot!

See if these pointers help at all. If not, I will expound further.

Shooter429

jcims
October 2, 2005, 03:45 PM
The first is that you are a relative neophyte.
100% neophyte with large caliber pistols... Most of my shooting has been rimfire rifles and shotguns.

a) Shoot from a firm pistol rest on a bench. It needs to be steady as a rock and consistent for each and every shot. A ransom rest is a good idea.
I was shooting from a bench, but it wasn't exactly stable. :) I'd seen ransom rests on tv, but didn't know what they were called. I'll see if i can find someone that rents them :)

1) Springfield pistols are designed to use a "6-oclock" sight picture at 25 yards with standard ammo. Change any variable here though and you change the formula and therefore the outcome.
That's exactly what i was looking for. I'll try again with this setup, as well as a few different bullet weights/velocities, to see if things improve.

Thanks alot for the pointers and the info!

Hollywood D
October 2, 2005, 03:52 PM
I have the same problem with my XD. I just adapted the way I aim and it got better.

WhyteP38
October 2, 2005, 04:34 PM
Another thing you might try is letting a more experienced shooter shoot it. I bought a new SA Loaded with the Novak night sights, and it shot 6" low and to the 7 o'clock position. So I let a buddy of mine who had been shooting 1911s for 20+ years try it. Same results (except his groups were much tighter). The gun also had a 12+ pound trigger. I sent it back. SA paid shipping both ways. Gun came back shooting POA and with a perfect 5-pound trigger. It's been flawless since.

I would send it back and let SA make good on their warranty. Before you do, you may want to check for any other problems they should fix while they have your gun, such the front opening for the recoil spring plug not being centered or the "bow tie" not being right.

jcims
October 2, 2005, 06:09 PM
Good info...thanks.

I posted (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183085) a while back about some other things i wasn't sure about...i'll add those to the list.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

jonnyringo
October 2, 2005, 07:20 PM
Simple fix: Get a quality file and remove tiny bits of metal at a time until it shoots to the desired POA.
If you are not much of gunsmith then have any machinist friend take care of it for you. Blacken or blue the top or the front sight when finished. Piece of cake.