PDA

View Full Version : My First :)

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 05:01 PM
Well here she is. My first baby. A Ruger P345 .45ACP . The best birthday gift I can think of. Taking it to the rang Wednesday to put a couple hundred rounds through her.

Things I like:
Grip
Safety Features
Slide is easy to rack
Visually Appealing

Things I dislike:
OIL OIL OIL (What should I do to clean this up!)
Its a little on the light side in my opinion

Overall the gun feels very rugged and durable. I will write a full review after I take her to the range.

My picture taking skills are limited. So bare with me :).

hkg3
September 16, 2005, 05:04 PM
Sweet!

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 05:26 PM
In that last pic, it looks like you shot a hole in your pants :D.

Nice. I had a P-85 as my first semi auto. The grips where too wide for me. I may go and take another look since they are slimming down the grips on some of them.

Wayne

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 06:30 PM
I did shoot a hole in my pants.

j/k

I really love the grip on this gun. The grips are excellent compared to the P89. I have never held or shot a P345. The grip is my expectations since it was on my WANT list. LIke I said. Only thing that annoys me is the mag button needs to be pressed to insert a mag . Other then that its very comfortable. The trigger reach is great to.

308Enfield
September 16, 2005, 07:06 PM
Great first choice, enjoy the range time :)

Topthis
September 16, 2005, 07:16 PM
Andrew,

I own a KP345 also. I will tell you that it is my favorite shooter...better than my Beretta and Glock, my XD is a close 2nd. Give it a good cleaning before you go to the range, or you MAY have a feeding problem on the last round in the magazine. I did, but after a good cleaning, I have not had that issue in over 3,000 rounds.
As for the mag release button being pushed in, so that you can insert your magazine...that is news to me. Have you tried to insert it without pressing the release? I have never had that told to me or happen to me. Might wanna check it out.
Anyways, great choice of .45. Don't be fooled by the weight, the recoil and flip are less than my 9mm. Also, if you are considering carrying that piece...you will be thankful of the lighter weight.
Congrats.

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 07:23 PM
EDIT!:

I realized the mag release had a lot of oil gunk in it. I wiped most of it off and for some odd reason the mag goes in now. I can now slid it in but still a little harder then all the other semi autos ive shot.

ARGH Im getting very angry. First gun and already have problems out of the box. :(

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 08:56 PM
Andrew,

IIRC on my P85 and the P89 (yes, I tried both but the grips.. :( ), you had to give the magazine a bit of a smack to set it. Also, it's a new gun, all the parts are tight, after a few mag changes and shooting it, it will wear down to where it functions just fine.

Don't get pissed just yet. Give it some time, put 500+ down range, and enjoy.

You have your mothers temper you know :D. (and may I say, I've really enjoyed her on the board).

Wayne

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 09:21 PM
LMFAO! Ill give it a whirl USP. As long as it works and is as good as everyone says im happy.

WillBrayjr
September 16, 2005, 09:35 PM
The first thing a person should do with a new firearm is fieldstrip it and remove all the factory storage grease and lubricate with a quality gun oil. If you do this first you shouldn't have any malfunctions.

Note: I feel that PC duster gas is good item to go with a cleaning kit ;)

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 09:48 PM
Speaking of field stripping. I worked up the guts to go ahead and do it. Its so much easier then I assumed it would be. What stuff do you reccomend to oil it up with. TO I just wipe the factory stuff off with a cloth?

WillBrayjr
September 16, 2005, 09:56 PM
I recommend Otis cleaning kits, They range from $9.99 to $104.99, buy the Otis Tactical kit and you have everything needed to clean any gun you buy in the future. Hoppes makes excellent cleaning kits too.

BerettaCougar
September 16, 2005, 10:43 PM
Andrew we still up for sunday?
I'm going to shooting sports

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 10:47 PM
Check your PM.

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 10:55 PM
Cool! Two of my fav. folks getting together to meet.

I will admit, I am somewhat jealous, only a first class plane ticket will make it all up :D.

Good luck you guys, and Andrew, show BC what is bothering you and maybe he can help in determining what should be done. I still think that you should go ahead and put some lead down range and then see how it reacts. BC, you take care of Andrew won't you.

Wayne

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 10:59 PM
LOL. Im somewhat ok at the range alone. But it would be usefull to have someone there to bitch at me if I get any bad habits. Weird meeting someone off a forum though :eek: .

jonathon
September 16, 2005, 11:01 PM
I detail stripped and cleaned a P89 once..

It's not hard, as it was designed as a military weapon..

Not sure about the 345, it's got a mag disconnect and an infernal lock...

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 11:06 PM
Andrew,

I've followed BC as well as some others on the board, and he is one that I've gotten a respect for, and like. I trust him and I haven't had the honor to meet him.

But I know how you feel.

Enjoy the meet, and shoot as many rounds as you are able. Have fun, and enjoy.

Wayne

*wayne, who's meant people from other boards, and still haven't shot with them, due to I don't know, they didn't have the money, they didn't *this that or the other*. But they loved the fact that they "knew" people... and that was just sad.

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 11:09 PM
Well im fine meeting people here. If anyone else is in Tampa let me know. I plan on going Wednesday.

As long as you can put up with me getting excited when I shoot. I get really goofy. Sorta like a natrual high. But I still pay attention to safety etc...

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 11:09 PM
Not sure about the 345, it's got a mag disconnect and an infernal lock...

Damn, never thought about this. The mag disconnect and the lock were really before my time.. that thing got a key to it? I never thought to ask. Thanks Jon.

Wayne

Topthis
September 16, 2005, 11:11 PM
It does come with a key...i threw mine away. As for the disconnect...funny, but I tested mine, and it went Bang. Don't mind it at all, I was not liking the idea of that disconnect anyways.

AndrewTB
September 16, 2005, 11:12 PM
Yes it has a key and yes its unlocked :D . The mag disconnect isnt what I thinks causing it either. Since the mag does slide in with momentum or a slight tap im assuming your correct about breaking it in etc...

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 11:13 PM
Andrew,

I wished that I still lived in Fla. Even if I were still in McAlpin (look on the map, upper Florida, near Lake City.... alittle higher.. yep, that's were I grew up from 7th grade to graduation) I would actually think about driving down.

Have fun and ask BC, was he willing to kill that monitor on the laptop :D.

Wayne

GroovedG19
September 17, 2005, 12:57 AM
Nice looking Ruger!Classic caliber to boot.Appear to be very ergonomic.How's the trigger pull?

boing
September 18, 2005, 09:24 PM
I look forward to a thorough range report, and updates as the round count increases.

I handled a P345 some time ago, and took quite a liking to it, even though I don't like Rugers, generally.

But it had almost the worst trigger I've ever pulled. I'm talking CZ100/Charles Daly Hi-Power bad. It was a definite deal breaker. I hope it was an aberration.

BerettaCougar
September 18, 2005, 09:30 PM
Wow, i'm honored Wayne, youre awesome yourself.

I consider you a friend, never even met you.

AndrewTB
September 18, 2005, 09:55 PM
I will post a report on wednesday. Also will most likley post some video and pics for the hell of it. Im not the best when it comes to grammar but ill let you know overall how I like it etc..

AndrewTB
September 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
RANGE REPORT:
KICK ASS!!!!

LOL

I went ahead and fired 100 rounds through my Ruger. I must say that this gun performs far better then I expected. I dont want to go into much detail at the moment but everything went flawless. RECOIL WAS AMAZING! Nowhere near as bad as the other .45 I shot. Magazines are overall easy to load etc... If the gun continues to perform like this I would surely trust my life to it. You aim and it hits exactly where you point :).

LH2
September 22, 2005, 09:50 PM
Glad you like your new P345!

I went out today and looked at the P345, P89 & P95. I wanted to like them, (the prices are amazing) but the composite grip on the P95 seemed slippery, and the size/shape of all the Ruger grips was just a bit large and square for me.

Enjoy your .45. :D

AndrewTB
September 22, 2005, 10:05 PM
Well id reccomend the P345 for someone with big fat hands. I love the trigger pull to. It doesnt even feel like double action to me.

Before buying a gun though I reccomend renting one and shooting it. Prefferance varies by person.