PDA

View Full Version : Do Kimber's Eat anything in way of ammo

Fistandalis
September 16, 2005, 07:48 AM
Hey All,

I will be shooting my Kimber Custom II tomorrow for the first time. Is there a recommended ammo for Kimber's? Is it wise to buy the cheapest ammo since I will just be target shooting at the range.

Thanks

Eghad
September 16, 2005, 08:35 AM
Mine had a problem feeding which ended when I threw my Kimber magazine in the trash and switched to a Wilson magazine.

So far I have put Winchester, Amereican Eagle thru it.....

Black Hills is next

My suggestion would be to take some magazines you know to work with it also in additon to the one that came with your gun.

Fistandalis
September 16, 2005, 09:13 AM
I actually bought a pair of Wilsons as the gun only came with one magazine. I guess I'll just put the stock mag away and use the wilsons.

Thanks

LoadIt
September 16, 2005, 01:32 PM
Kimber suggests using 230 grain FMJ for about the first 500 rounds. Before I started reloading, I ran alot of Federal American Eagle and Winchester White Box through mine. Also used a fair ammount of PMC. I have read that it is not uncommon to get FTE's & FTF's out of a new Kimber that hasn't been broken in.

I have four Kimbers and have only had a problem with one while breaking in. My 9mm Stainless Target II had the slide not completely return to battery a couple of times. The slide also would not lock open on a empty magazine at times. However, now it runs like a champ!!!!!!!! :D

LoadIt
September 16, 2005, 01:34 PM
Oh yeah, I also use Wilson 47D 8 round mags in mine. Smooooooooth. ;)

tinkanting
September 16, 2005, 01:59 PM
for break in, i use fmj and if you can buy different brands of ammo. i use wilsons all the time. make sure you put oil before range trip and put drops after 150 rounds throgh the break in.
otherwise buy a lot of ammo and have fun... :)

Eghad
September 16, 2005, 02:53 PM
dont forget to take the bumper pad of the Kimber magazine...its worth $1.25

Fistandalis
September 16, 2005, 04:48 PM
Ok, I bought 200 rnds of PMC 230gr FMJ. This may sound extremely Green but I was a little shocked at the size of a .45 cal bullet. I am used to 9mm lets hope I dont drop my Kimber like a girl :D

spacemanspiff
September 16, 2005, 05:01 PM
my TLE likes just about any magazine. using mostly kimber mags now, but i've used wilsons and mccormacks.

i've only shot FMJ through mine. just about every brand. i did get a case of +p one time, she ate that stuff up as well. talk about a noticable difference in felt recoil!

why only FMJ? well i live in a state where 9 months out of the year people wear multiple layers of clothing. those expensive JHP's might not perform as they should. besides, 'all fall to hardball'. :D

edit - PS. can we stop calling kimbers 'custom'? they all are emblazoned with 'custom', so it takes a bit of the meaning away. i'll give a shiny wooden nickel to one person who can say their kimber does NOT have 'custom' on it anywhere.

Majic
September 16, 2005, 06:14 PM
Do Kimber's Eat anything in way of ammo
They generally won't eat what they are not chambered for. :D

impact
September 16, 2005, 06:46 PM
They generally won't eat what they are not chambered for.

:D :D

Fistandalis my Kimber has nat had any kind of ammo feeding problems even with the factory mags.

Eghad
September 16, 2005, 06:49 PM
I just bought my Kimber and the magazine was a stinker...the metal looked thin on it. In fact when I went back to the gunshop and told them they said I was the second person to come in and tell them in. In fact I havent heard back from Kimber on the e-mail I sent them about the magazine. :mad:

I had a CMC and a Wilson when I compared em with the Kimber the metal on the lips looked thiner that the other two.

The two of you with Kimbers and no magazine problems how long have you had your Kimbers?

spacemanspiff
September 16, 2005, 06:53 PM
bought mine three years ago i think. i keep buying new kimber mags from sportsmans warehouse.

the only problem i have is that eventually the mag spring weakens and the last empty case gets caught in the ejection port. oddly enough it doesnt happen when i shoot the cheap aluminum cased blazer ammo, anything brass seems to be heavy enough to get caught in there.

Fistandalis
September 16, 2005, 06:59 PM
I noticed that the wilson mag is thicker and the top lip is grooved for a bullet. Where as the Kimber lip is flat. I dont know if this makes a big difference but ill bring my stock mag and wilson mag see if theres a big difference.

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 09:19 PM
I have three CMC mags, 2 original issue GI mags, and two I don't know what the heck they are from mags.

Not a problem with any of them, with any ammo used.

Now, I bought it used, and they polished the ramp, on an aluminum frame, so I don't know if it's going to go bad because they did this. So far, so good though.

Wayne

impact
September 16, 2005, 10:25 PM
Fistandalis my Kimber has nat had any kind of ammo feeding problems even with the factory mags.

The mags that came with my Kimber are Shooting Star. I even have 5 ten round shooting star mags that I used for limited ten when I shot IPSC and they worked fine. I have two 8 round Wilson mags and one ten round Wilson mag. The only problem I have ever had with a mag was the Wilson ten round mag. It failed to slide lock the gun on the last round. But not a problem! I just used the Wilson mag as the last mag.

Eghad
September 16, 2005, 11:30 PM
In the name of grins and giggles... spacemanpiff suppose I were to mail you this Kimber magazine for comparison with the Kimber mags you buy and to try? I rescued it from the bin?

just need an addy to mail it too?

interested?

spacemanspiff
September 17, 2005, 12:22 PM
sure. just put some tape on the floorplate so i don't get yours confused with mine.

pm'ing you the addy.

OBIWAN
September 17, 2005, 05:38 PM
I use CMC powermags or Wilsons with all my .45's

And I also "test" them with mixed mags of whatever I have lying around

10 rounds of ball, hollowpoints, standard and +p...random order

Neither of my Kimbers has ever been finicky

Other than that I mostly shoot WWBox or RA45T

IZinterrogator
September 18, 2005, 01:03 AM
Spiff, I have a Desert Warrior that doesn't have "custom" on it anywhere. You can throw the wooden nickel in with the Surefire that Wild is sending me to save on postage. :D

Fistandalis
September 18, 2005, 05:17 AM
Well just to update everyone I ran around 200 rnds of PMC 230gr FMJ. I had one miss fire. On the up side I truely love this gun I was a little concerned with the recoil. It wasn't bad at all. 2 of the wooden planks that the range calls targets are no more. Has anyone used Cabela's remanufactured ammo in .45 cal I ordered 300 rnds in 9mm for my ruger and had no problems with the stuff figured I'd order some .45cal for next Saturday.