PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M-A1?

Netzapper
September 16, 2005, 12:11 AM
Does anybody have any experience with this pistol? I'm a sucker for European weapons, and I'm intrigued by the sights. But, on the other hand, I've never seen one in person, nor have I heard a darn thing about them.

Greg Bell
September 16, 2005, 11:34 AM
I am starting to see a lot of them. I have shot the older model and have handled the new model. If feels great and the trigger is very light. Plus, the newer model will accept non-proprietary flashlight toys etc.

Steyr is a great firearms company but their U.S. import arrangements have been disastrous as of late. They are setting up shop in Georgia (yay for me) and are are going to be doing their work on-site rather than through subcontractor/importers. The gun is likely a low-priced gem that won't be for long. Once Steyr is back on its feet the prices will shoot-up like most of the Euro gun companies.

GHB

spacemanspiff
September 16, 2005, 11:38 AM
the m-a1 is the new model name for the previous 'm9', 'm40', and 'm357sig'. although i havent researched this new model yet, if its anything like the previous one, they should be a great gun. the best way to describe it is 'What the Glock SHOULD have been'.
better ergonomics, fully supported chambers, manual safety, and a lot of fun to shoot.
i had both the m9 and m40; bought them from cdnn when steyr lost their importer, paid something like $339 each for them. i think cdnn still has some m9's left for under $300, may want to check them out.

do a search for 'steyr m9', theres a lot of threads on here and on THR and GT about them.

Wiseguy
November 30, 2005, 07:49 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking into getting the new Steyr M40 for a job I'm getting. I like the abundance of safety features this gun offers along with the look, it's feel and everything about it. Only problem is, I hear from someone I trust there's no duty holsters made for this weapon (although I'm checking on that, as I write this). Is what he says true? Am I gonna have to go with a boring ol' Glock or something drab and dull? I realize that when it really matters, a weapon's look isn't gonna save my life, reliability is. And if someone gets rowdy and reaches for my gun... the goal is for them to not get it out... so a duty holtser is important. I hear these are great guns, but what do y'all think? I don't want to get a Steyr salesman's opinion and I'd not like to hear the biased POV from a Glock enthusiast, either.

ShelbyV8
November 30, 2005, 10:45 PM
There is a Steyr Club on glocktalk.com also http://www.steyrclub.com/. There is a lot of information on both sites. There are some LEOs using them that should be able to tell you about holsters. I have a m40 and a 357sig barrel for it. I have had no malfunctions it does have a very good trigger almost like a single action.

Pistolenschutze
December 1, 2005, 10:51 AM
I have a Steyr M1, Net, and I like it better than any other 9mm I have, especially that triangular trapazoid sighting system it has. Great for combat shooting, though not quite so great for simple target plinking. Personally, I would rate the Steyr equal to the Glocks in terms of quality of manufacture, reliability, and accuracy. By the way, if you need extended mags (14 rd instead of 10) for it, I tracked down the place where they may be purchased here in the U.S., in Tennessee, of all places! Let me know if you want the address and telephone number.

Pilot
December 1, 2005, 01:48 PM
I bought a Steyr M9 on a whime when CDNN had them for $269. Its been great and seems very well made. Its my only polymer gun as I'm not a big fan of plastic, but I figured for $269 would could I loose.