PDA

View Full Version : Tales Of The Desert Eagle. What Its Really Like

Guns Is Are Da Good
September 15, 2005, 08:05 PM
Ok, so many people want a Desert Eagle. They have all these dreams and fanasy's about them. My first hangun was a Desert Eagle. My dream gun. I figured I would let people know what they were about.

First off, you have to really love this gun to buy it. Not just see one movie with it in it and get the urge to buy it. Make sure you really want it, cause the .50AE which is what I had, with a standard blue steel finish will run you about 1300$. About 150$ more for a fancy chrome/gold/stainless finish. It comes with one clip, each additional clip will run you 50$. I live near about 8 large gun stores. After calling all 8, I could usually only find 3 boxes of ammo between them for it, on a good day. The cheapest box of ammo I could find cost about 25$ for 25 rounds. I carried this gun for about half a year. Everyone said it was impractical and that it is impossible to carry. Its not impossible, but it aint fun. As much as I loved this gun, in the end, even I stopped carrying it. Every part on the gun is steel, aside from the plastic grips. This thing weighs a freakin' ton. I carried it on an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster. I am 6'6'' 250lbs. Im a large guy, and this gun even hurt me. It choked you when you sat, and its weight was enough that it often caused me to trip and stumble because of the weight of it shifting as I moved. No exaggeration. You will have trouble shooting this gun at an indoor range. I shoot at the brand new pop guns indoor shooting range near my house. It got to where they let me shoot it there, because i've bought so many weapons from them, and am a regular at the store. They've seen me shoot and know I can hit my target. However, when I was new there, they at first wouldnt let me shoot it. Then, once they saw I could hit paper every time, they told me I had to shoot on center lanes, because if the bullet hit the wall on the side lanes and traveled down it, it could do damage. Then they told me I had to use large silohette targets, and had to aim low, because shooting at smaller target, I may hit the reciever that holds the paper and moves up and down range, and that my bullet would destroy it. Now thats some power, considering how many times I see those recievers get pinged by regular .45 rounds. This gun, despite being made of almost all steel, and seeming to be put together very well, had one hell of a jamming problem. It jammed up a lot, and I mean a lot. One of the guys in the shop told me he believed it was because of the ammo they carried. Although it was high quality ammo. Not me, I believe it was the clip. I think those heavy rounds wear the springs down in it fast. I dont know. Or perhaps its because of the things massive kick,[And believe me, it had a kick] its hard to hold ones wrist stable. I dont know, all I know, is it jammed a lot, and its not very trusty when your life is on the line. All that being said, there are a few pro's to it. Every time I took it to a range, without fail, when I fired that first round, it by far overshadowed the sound of anything else being fired [Pistol wise]. And more often then not the range would go quiet, in a scene reminisance of Robocop firing his gun for the first time, everyone would turn me way to see what the hell I was shooting. Then I would hear whispers of Desert Eagle .50 circleing through the room. Yes, it was a crowd pleaser. That, and this massive hunk of killing power was by far, and I mean by far, the funnest handgun you could ever shoot. Not matter how experenced you were, you put a clip through it, and you would be shaking from the adrinaline. Almost no one else has them that you will know. Even with all the cons, I still to this day find myself dreaming of the Desert Eagle that I once owned [sold it to buy computer parts for the super computer I was building.]. I regret having ever sold it, and have no doubt that one day, I will once again own this mammoth of a gun. I just thought I'd give everyone a little insight as to what owning this beast is about.

Mark54g
September 15, 2005, 10:20 PM
They are magazines, not clips. (somebody was going to say it, so it might as well be me)

I would love to shoot a desert eagle, but they are expensive to own and expensive to shoot

tanksoldier
September 15, 2005, 10:52 PM
If it had such a reliability issue I can't imagine why you carried it for so long, especially considering the discomfort. Firearms are sometimes awkward to carry, but at least most people's carry gun can be counted on when the balloon goes up.

Awkward AND unreliable? What's the point, unless you're just carrying it around to showoff and brag about. If it's unreliable you might as well just strap a 5lb chunk of lead to your side. Cheaper, and at least it can be thrown at a target.

Guns Is Are Da Good
September 15, 2005, 10:54 PM
Imagine this. I was 18, and it was the only gun I had.

Black Majik
September 15, 2005, 11:03 PM
I've shot the .44 mag version of the DE. Its big, surprisingly accurate, and the one I shot was reliable! No hiccups. That massively heavy steel between your hands really soaks up the recoil. I enjoyed it.

Wildalaska
September 15, 2005, 11:18 PM
Imagine...carrying a DE 50 at 18...... :rolleyes:

Im gonna avoid commenting on the rest so that I dont get flamed, except:

massive hunk of killing power

O yeah, see above

Wildilearnedtoshootona22Model18S&Wanda1911Alaska

Spitn Lead
September 15, 2005, 11:48 PM
I'D have to agree , my bud had one ,it was one HEAVY pistol , i don't think i would lay that kind of cash down on a 50 & not be able to carry it with out discomfort ( you know us old guys, lol) , since ruger came out with the alaskan 454 , JMHO.

Acegoesbang
September 15, 2005, 11:54 PM
a friend of my dads has one and myb father told me that he had probs with breaking ejector claws said he had already been through a few ...

utaherrn
September 16, 2005, 12:08 AM
I'm a southpaw, and every time I shoot my friend's DE .44 the recoil of the pistol causes the gun to rotate enough that the slide lock bumps my hand enough that it engages, so for me its a single shot semi-auto.
shoot, drop slide, shoot, drop slide............
needless to say, I'll never buy one

Acegoesbang
September 16, 2005, 12:26 AM
i feel ya people buy them because their big n pretty lol thats whats wrong with most peopel on here i have seen they own guns of what they seen on a movie or because they heard the are bad lol most of these people come from the streets of cali so hey most people there are so gun iliterate that they limit them to what they can own i just feel sorry for those who live there that truly know and love firearms

WillBrayjr
September 16, 2005, 08:06 AM
It's a BIG no-no to carry a 50AE or 44mag Desert Eagle or protection in an urban setting, 357mag is okay though. With big calibers like the 50AE people tend to let the gun jump to help reduce the recoil. With a Desert Eagle you can't do that and expect the gun to function reliably. ;)

NRAhab
September 16, 2005, 08:49 AM
Wow, a .50AE for 6 moths. To think that when I was in the Coast Guard I got annoyed with my M9 after 4 hours. I must not be tough enough.

Saber
September 16, 2005, 09:00 AM
I own a 357 DE. I wanted a 357 auto and the Desert Eagle showed up. I have found it to be accurate and reliable. Most feed problems tend to be with limp wristing. As long as the gun is cleaned properly and shot properly, it performs solid. You have to hold the gun very firmly. I have shot the 50 as well and found it to be just as accurate. I would never consider using the gun as a carry piece, as that was not what it was intended for. Seems kinda ridiculous to me...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/saberstitch/357x2.jpg

Jbar4Ranch
September 16, 2005, 09:36 AM
I bought a standard black finish .50AE Desert Eagle about two months ago. Definitely impractical, but FUN! I also picked up three boxes of Speer factory ammo until I could find dies and components; $23/20 rounds. :eek: Reloading makes it affordable to shoot; About 10¢ for powder, 20¢ for a bullet, and a couple cents for a primer. Brass from Starline is 23½¢ each in 1000 unit lots, and if you get an average of 6 reloads per case, that brings your long-term case cost down to 4¢ each, for a total cost per finished round of around 36¢ each compared to $1.15 each for factory ammo. I bought once fired brass from other sources for *much less*, some for as little as 5¢ each.
My 50AE barrel has been fairly reliable, but I also purchased a new .44 mag barrel direct from MRI, and it has been extremely unreliable. I have three .44 magazines, and all three give me a failure to feed on the fifth round...? I don't see any reason for the stoppage; The fifth round starts to strip off the mag, goes up the feed ramp about a third the length of the cartridge, and stops. I bump the back of the slide with my hand, the round chambers, and the rest of the mag goes off without a hitch. Both calibers are extremely accurate. I can regularly shoot sub-3" groups at 50 yards with either, and have managed a couple sub-2" groups with the stock iron sights.

MEDDAC19
September 16, 2005, 09:40 AM
Imagine that, 6'6'' 250 lbs, and he's limp-wristing it!

Jart
September 16, 2005, 10:09 AM
When I was first (re)developing an interest after having been "gunless" for 20-odd years, I was convinced a DE .50AE was going to be my "first" handgun.

However, I posted on an internet forum and got piled on. Wound up carrying a P7 and a P239. I've rented a .50AE a couple of times since. Makes me real glad I posted first. Kinda fun as a novelty at the range but makes me wonder what I was thinking wanting to start with that thing.

...'course there was a guy in central Texas with a fascination for .44 Colt Walkers and wound up carrying an Uberti clone as his CHL. To each their own.

>>Gad. My original post is still there in the Bladeforums archives. Sure hope Spark rolls those offline soon. :p

sendec
September 16, 2005, 10:44 AM
DE = Automag/Wildey wannabe :D

almark
September 16, 2005, 10:44 AM
JBar4Ranch...
According to my calculations, the .44 mag has a little over half the momentum of the .50 AE. That coupled with the malfunction you describe leads me to think you may need a weaker recoil spring. Just my $.02

Edit: I think my physics may be a bit rusty. The recoil spring shouldn't be the problem unless the slide isn't actually coming far back enough to chamber the round. I don't know what the problem is... sorry :(

ktd
September 16, 2005, 11:00 AM
I got a DE at 18 (not my first gun though), and had a lot of fun with it. I think it is probably best in .357 for casual target shooting, cheaper to get ammo for. Should still impress folks cuz it has more numbers in the caliber :) . Mine was the .44, and I used it for ranch work, for those times I did not have a rifle. I liked autoloaders enough that I put up with the ribbing I got from the boys. Myself I never had much issues with it, it was reliable and accurate. It did tend to chew up brass a little bit, what with the extractor and all the gas flowing around and such. Almost looked as bad as shells from an HK.

I think issues of too much recoil or weight just depends on the combination of person and gun and load and holster. Though you do get a nice fireball with the .44 and up that is pretty spectacular. Personally, I think the reason Elmer Keith was able to work up such hot loads when developing the .44 mag was because he was deaf! These days everyone wears hearing protection so the .44 does not seem so bad.

anyways, the DE is a rather flashy gun, and people who buy them to show off are well...gonna buy whatever they think they need to show off. Probably not too bad a thing as long as they are not obnoxious about it. I bought mine only partially to show off, I also wanted an autoloader that had some power. :p

k

Mute
September 16, 2005, 11:04 AM
This is what happens when one belives video games mirror real life.

WillBrayjr
September 16, 2005, 11:10 AM
Both the Automag and Wildey are no where near as dependable as the Desert Eagle is. I stay away from MRI after talking to them over the phone.

spacemanspiff
September 16, 2005, 11:44 AM
wow, $1450 for the brushed chrome deagle in .50ae? WA didnt you sell one to that kid Jake for $1100? and didnt you have the nib black one for like $950?

NRAhab
September 16, 2005, 12:13 PM
I blame two things for the Desert Eagle fad amongst the younger set.

1. Counter-blankety blank-Strike
For the two people on the Internets that haven't played, in the game the Desert Eagle or "DEagle" as it's called is the most powerful and effective handgun in the game. You can tell a CS-Junkie because they'll call it a DEagle in conversation, and you'll probably want to hit them.

2. The Matrix
In which the principle badguys are seen blazing away one handed with Desert Eagles, which remarkably have very little movie recoil.

This seems to have lead a generation of potential gun enthusiasts to lust after this most impractical firearm.

Wildalaska
September 16, 2005, 12:23 PM
WA didnt you sell one to that kid Jake for $1100?

Yep and didnt we spend hours trying to talk him out of it.....:)

WildwhatasillygunAlaska

Jart
September 16, 2005, 02:34 PM
Yep and didnt we spend hours trying to talk him out of it..... And to this day I'm glad your representatives were active at bladeforums.

Something like starting with a DE could have killed the hobby before it started.

Eghad
September 16, 2005, 02:51 PM
paragraphs are good........

Jbar4Ranch
September 16, 2005, 03:33 PM
almark, I was wondering where you were going with that. :D I picked up a couple of the older mags today (used) with the metal floorplate and the sharply angled relief cut on the front of the tube. I only put 8 rounds through each of them, but one fed all 8 perfectly, and the other failed to properly strip and feed the 8th round, so maybe it's something in the way the newer mags with the plastic floorplate are designed. The relief cut on the tube is considerably shallower on the new mags, the floorplate is plastic instead of metal, and the bolt hold-open mechanism is different, as well as having its accompanying slot in the mag tube cut differently.

Dain Bramage
September 16, 2005, 03:43 PM
Saw a DE pistol set at a local gunshow, complete with presentation case. It had two complete guns, a .357 and a 50 AE, along with an additional .44 mag slide, all for $1,500.

I seriously considered purchasing them, except they were in the most awful matching grey finishes with light grey plastic grips. If I'm packing a DEagle, I want something flashy to go with my gold tooth and zoot suit. :D

Figured I could always unload them on some suck..uh....devotee of the brand. Oh well.

MicroBalrog
September 16, 2005, 08:00 PM
Certainly feasible. I know of one strange man who got a special clearance from his unit commander [he is in SH13] to carry a DE. Why, I don't know as he never actually got to use it one someone.

Also familiar with a fellow who has been issued one as a security guard. Some people are... strange.

USP45usp
September 16, 2005, 08:18 PM
I would buy one in .357 (that is magnum right, not sig?) because I had a chance to buy a Coonan but passed it up when I was younger (and the internet wasn't even "invented" for the regular people, had to wait for gore to "get 'er done" :rolleyes: ) and I do want a pistol in .357 mag.

But, it would be only a "fun gun", a safe queen that is pulled out to impress the women and make them weak in the knees (or run away, an ugly dude with a big gun = stalker in their minds :( ).

If I want to create an impression at the range (indoor), I have them turn down the lights abit and then fire the CZ52 with hot rounds. Even the guy shooting the 454 stopped what he was doing and watched the flames (fireball). Then come over to find out what type of "bazooka" they were allowing me to fire :confused: ( :D ).

Wayne

gunzblazin
September 16, 2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I was obcessed with the DE too. It was also my first gun handgun. First as in like the first week I was old enough to own one. I think I saw it on Cliffhanger, then Schwartzenegger started carrying it in like every movie he made. It just looked awesome. So I bought the .44 mag version which I felt was much more practical due to the lower cost of ammo and lighter recoil. I had very few problems with jamming using 240 grain ammo, but 180 would sometimes hit me in the forehead and cause FTF. But then again, they recommend 240 in the manual. Of course you have to hold it rock steady to have the slide cycle completly. Anyway, I had it for around 2 years and the finish started to wear of around where my finger touched the metal part of the grip which pissed me off. It was such a blast to shoot and always got attention. I decided to try somthing different so I traded in my DE and got a HK USP 45. I always intended on buying another a DE in matte nickel finish sometime later in life, but since I have tried many other handguns. You just can't get much better than a nice 1911. Who knows if I will ever own another DE, but there will always be a special space in the gun safe if I ever get the hankering. Also my buddie bought a DE .44 so I can always shoot his!

Marcus
September 16, 2005, 10:12 PM
I don`t own a DE and I haven`t shot the .50AE but I have put a lot of rounds downrange with both the .357 and .44 mag. DEs. The .357 was actually a lot of fun. The .44 is much more power/size efficient though. None of the 4 or 5 DEs I`ve shot would get through 50rds. without jamming at least once. The ergos bite even for a big guy,the safety is difficult to work with the firing hand,you almost never see them with adj. sights and the ones I`ve shot with fixed sights were nowhere close to sighted in,and the triggers are pretty lousy too. Despite all that they`re accurate and fun to shoot though. If I ever see a decent used .44 DE for $650 or so I`d buy it in a minute but an LAR Grizzly .44mag.,.45win. mag. or .50AE is higher on my list.
More reliable than an AutoMag or Wildey? Maybe the Wildey,I dunno? The AutoMag? If this is refering to the late model AMT Automag II-V okay I`ll buy that. But comparing a DE to an original Pasedena,N. Hollywood or TDE .44 AutoMag is like comparing a dump truck to a Ferarri. Properly maintained and fed the AutoMag is very reliable,accurate and a real pleasure to shoot. Easy to use safety,very reasonably sized grip,excellent adj. trigger,great adj. sights,no bigger than an N frame Smith and only 57oz. No contest (well except for the price ;) ). http://zvis.com/dep/mgnrv/index.shtml Marcus

IM_Lugger
September 17, 2005, 10:47 AM
I’ve shot a DE in .44 and .50 ‘back to back.’ I found .50 to recoil only slightly more than .44. So if I would ever get one it would be in .44 or even .357...just not worth it to go with .50 considering the ammo cost, even if you’re reloading.

I saw a guy had an FTE with his DE (and I only watched for a few minutes) not what I would call a reliable gun….

But it is fun to shoot though :p

garry owen
September 17, 2005, 06:33 PM
Purchased a nice 44 mag stainless DE about 10 years ago from a pawn shop nearby. The story I got was that it was taken apart by the previous owner, and after reassembling the gun he found it wouldn't fire. So fearing the factory warrantee wouldn't cover stupidity he decided to sell it for a loss. So I paid $450 dollars for a broken gun and $20 dollars to our local gunsmith, it only needed a couple of springs, and I had my desert eagle, also my first handgun purchase. Kept it for about a year, shot it regularly and the novelty wore off. It got traded even steven for a brand new 44 mag Super Redhawk.

AttackTurtle
September 17, 2005, 07:33 PM
I blame two things for the Desert Eagle fad amongst the younger set.

Don't forget Snatch!! That movie Rules.

Best qoute from the entire movie

"Thats why your gun says replica...and mine says Desert Eagle .50"

Bullet Tooth Tony~

MicroBalrog
September 17, 2005, 10:24 PM
This seems to have lead a generation of potential gun enthusiasts to lust after this most impractical firearm.

And this is bad, how?

JohnKSa
September 17, 2005, 10:42 PM
Gotta admit I've had a soft spot for the DE since the first time I saw one. Shooting a couple of them haven't changed that. :D

I'll probably eventually get one "just because". I know it's impractical, but so are about half the guns I own now... ;)

TiP99
September 18, 2005, 01:07 AM
the DE is a novelty gun and holds its place in Hollywood, not anywhere USA. This gun serves no purpose in a tactical self defensive role. PERIOD

btw i couldnt even imagine carying a DE. To heavy.

IanS
September 18, 2005, 04:46 AM
I've shot one in .44 Mag but I'll never own one. Like others have said, its too impractical for serious defense use. I have no ill feelings toward them. Its one of those guns that makes things interesting.

The only "impractical" gun I'd consider owning though would be a Colt SAA.

WillBrayjr
September 18, 2005, 07:48 AM
I don't feel the Desert Eagle in 357mag is impractical at all for defense in the home.

boing
September 18, 2005, 07:54 PM
The last .50 I saw promptly shot one of the lights off the ceiling of the range. The shooters were politely ejected from the range, and barred from returning until they learned how to shoot safely.

They proudly took their embarassing target with them. :D

In my experience, DE ownership stems from Ego, Ignorance, or Novelty, in that order. I personally find no appeal in it, but if floats your boat (and you can hit the target), go nuts.

Double Naught Spy
September 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
the DE is a novelty gun and holds its place in Hollywood, not anywhere USA. This gun serves no purpose in a tactical self defensive role. PERIOD

Actually, if the gun was more reliable, it would be a nifty home defense gun. The .50 AE packs more power than your typical 5.56 AR15, but in a much smaller package that is much easier to use in the tight confines of one's home. So the small size, as compared to a carbine, and greater power, make the gun a nifty consideration. Now, if they were just more reliable in the .50 AE package, add a light, and you are good to go in the home tactical self defense role.

Rembrandt
September 18, 2005, 08:53 PM
Have used one for years....great hunting handgun, very accurate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/DesertEagle6in.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/DesertEagle14.jpg

Gewehr98
September 18, 2005, 09:43 PM

In my experience, DE ownership stems from Ego, Ignorance, or Novelty, in that order.

Yeah, ok, sure. Lovely stereotyping going on there, methinks.

A friend of mine had one, a low-numbered Israeli model in .357 Magnum that wouldn't cycle the ammo he tried to feed it. He owed me about $400 in computer parts and service. I took the gun as payment, and did some homework. I learned two things about the Desert Eagle Pistol's alleged reliability problems - weak ammo and bad magazines. The .357 Magnum Desert Eagle is built on the same frame as the .44 Magnum variant, with the same slide and gas system, etc. So you have a gun designed for .44 Magnum that's trying to operate on a .357 Magnum's gas volume. That means you have to either follow the Magnum Research recommended list of ammo (online if you are curious), or handload accordingly. I chose the latter, stuffing the cases with a whole bunch of WW296 and 158gr jacketed bullets to 1600+ fps, and a few thousand rounds later, I have yet to experience a problem with the pistol.

The gun is just a big pussycat. Of course, I'm a big pussycat, at 6"+ and 200 lbs, but not for once have I ever been intimidated by my Desert Eagle. It handles well in my mitts, and is surprisingly accurate. I'd invite anybody to put their money where their mouth is and give my Desert Eagle a try, an open invitation as it were. As a matter of fact, I've since used the gun in IHMSA silhouette to knock down those 200 meter steel rams, and taken a couple Wisconsin whitetail deer with it. I have a thigh holster rig for it, and on occasion, it's been my nightstand defensive gun. In my cinder block house, penetration isn't a real issue, and I have a fair idea that a two-legged varmint will lose interest in pressing the attack when hit by a Hornady XTP at 1600+ fps.

At one time, I thought the whole Desert Eagle thing was a macho trip spawned by those who had the need for the biggest and baddest toys. Now, after having owned and shot one for many years, it's just another handgun, and basically a tool like any other implement in one's collection. I don't badmouth Desert Eagles anymore, nor will I badmouth folks who buy Coonans, Wildeys, AutoMags, BFR and X-Frame .500 S&W revolvers. Matter of fact, I will own a BFR in .45-70 soon, trust me. ;)

http://mauser98.com/deserteagle.jpg

BillCnKC
September 19, 2005, 01:50 PM
All--

The Desert Eagle is not a carry weapon. It is not a firearm to use in the hunt of dangerous game.

The Desert Eagle is a GREAT show-piece! It is a fantastic target pistol and it is a DEER KILLER for sure!

The Desert Eagle is extremely reliable, but requires education, care, and experience to use properly. If you remove one of those from the equation the Desert Eagle will become finicky.

For all you great big guys that have a problem with the recoil, take a look at this video of my 19 year old daughter shooting my Mark XIX, 10", fifty caliber Desert Eagle using 350 grain ammunition . . . in other words, Planet Earth's Pistol Recoil King . . .

Young Woman Firing a .50 Caliber Desert Eagle (http://www.billnkc.com/images/Dreamweaver/DEP%20Videos/Rachel.mpg)

Here is a picture of the pistol as it looks today . . .

http://www.billnkc.com/images/Black%20Chrome%2012-31-03/BC2.JPG

After the first 400 rounds, my Desert Eagle has performed FLAWLESSLY for well over 1000 rounds. Each round is expensive, just like the pistol is expensive. But, as others have said, it is more fun to shoot than you can imagine.

--seal killer

boing
September 19, 2005, 03:19 PM
I fail to see how relating one's personal experience can constitute "parroting drivel". Who am I parroting, myself? I guess I must have read too many of my own posts on The In-Ter-Net. I'm starting to take myself seriously! ;)

Of the seven or eight DE owners I've actually talked to, exactly none of them use their guns for sillouette shooting, hunting, or other "practical" activity. Most of them just wanted a gun that was as bad-ass as their own personalities, like the guy who wears a trench coat in August to prove how practical it is to CCW his DE (in .50, IIRC). :rolleyes: A couple of other guys with limited experience admitted they didn't know what they were getting into. Only two cited "novelty" as their reason for buying one.

The other handful of Dirk D'Eaglers I've seen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside of it (see my earlier post), and appeared inexperienced in handgun shooting in general.

As for stereotyping, you're right. I did, and I apologize. I implied that all DE owners fall into the categories I mentioned, and that wasn't my intention. I was only trying to state my (reasonably objective) observation of DE owners I've personally met.

BillCnKC
September 19, 2005, 04:08 PM
Rembrandt--

BEAUTFIFUL pistol! Mark VII?

You should have pictures of it at Desert Eagle Facts (http://www.billnkc.com/images/Dreamweaver/DesertEagleFacts.cfm).

--seal killer

Gewehr98
September 19, 2005, 07:12 PM
Sometimes broad brush strokes are just a bit too broad, if you know what I mean.

BillCnKC, thanks for the link to Desert Eagle Facts. I will submit the pic above of my Mark I in .357. I haven't seen another one with that range of serial numbers so far. ;)

Slimjim
September 19, 2005, 07:59 PM
I love my Desert eagle. First gun that I bought. Second handgun ive owned. .44 mag, black finish. About 1000 rounds or so downrange in mine, only problems ive had are bad mags, and the internal saftey locked up...oh yea, and keeping ammo in stock! Thats the hard part.

Stiletto
September 19, 2005, 08:45 PM
Hey, does it chamber .44spl?

Also, can one of you post a picture of a DE with the slide locked back? (Just curious)

Slimjim
September 19, 2005, 09:11 PM
It will chamber .44 spl, but its a single shot than. And you can only use jacketed rounds.

Jbar, what do the lips look like on the 44 mag magazines? If they are stepped, or tapered, they are bad mags, you need the smooth non tapering lips, i had the same problem.

Ill shoot the DE vs most autoloaders for groups at 25 yards and farther. im working on 50 right now.

BillCnKC
September 20, 2005, 01:18 PM
Gewehr98--

You have exceeded your "private messages" quota! There is no way for me to respond to your last message. Think about e-mailing me your e-mail address.

--seal killer

xrageofangelsx
September 20, 2005, 04:39 PM
If you know anything about gun laws, you know that anyone can carry at the age of 18 for a Personal Protection Permit (CCW). So to balk at that statement is ignorance. ;) Thank God for great states like Indiana.

Saber
September 21, 2005, 06:48 AM
Stiletto,

Here you go!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/saberstitch/deopen.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b381/saberstitch/depoint.jpg

ruger270man
September 22, 2005, 12:42 AM
I'm an attention whore, so I think this gun would be right up my alley. .

only problem, I'm usually at the range alone.. oh well

TEN-RING
September 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
....can I buy an extended magazine (one or two more rounds) for the Eagle in 50AE?? Am I gonna have to make my own ?? And does the 50 handle any better with a ported barrel, in ten-inch, I mean.

Gewehr98
September 24, 2005, 08:30 PM
Here's a few:

http://mauser98.com/deleft3.jpg
http://mauser98.com/detop2.jpg
http://mauser98.com/deright2.jpg
http://mauser98.com/destrip3.jpg

reticle
September 26, 2005, 12:31 AM
I had a DE in .44 mag and one in .50 AE. They both would toss spent casings back at my forehead once or twice per mag. They were safe queens mostly because of that. They also are dirty guns in that in would take me twice as long to clean one of those compared to say an HK. I did like to see the flame eminate from the barrels though. Hard to know how long the flame was being that I was the shooter, but friends would claim it was two feet. That is the closest to a howitzer I'll ever get so I guess that's something.

I eventually sold them both for a profit to finance my Sako TRG21.......also a safe queen, but a better deal for me.

BillCnKC
September 26, 2005, 06:24 AM
TEN-RING--

You cannot buy an extended magazine for a Desert Eagle, as far as I know. And, MANY problems with the Desert Eagle are due to users mishandling the magazine during firing. It is a "floating magazine." I think that is MRI's term. Basically, you cannot place your weak hand beneath it and push up when you fire.

The other issue, especially with the .50AE magazine, has to do with the follower. There are two kinds, flat and grooved. "Flat" is what you want to facilitate proper feeding. I believe MRI was in the habit of giving them to owners at one time.

--seal killer