PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Buckmark

bronicadave
September 15, 2005, 03:37 PM
So I get the new Buckmark and after the second visit to the range figure I should give it a more thorough cleaning. I remove the slide as shown in the manual and the first thing that happens is the recoil spring shoots the little snap ring off the end of the rod. I find the snap ring so I recover. The manual does not recommend the barrel be removed for this model although it does recommend barrel removal for the target models. I had always been told to work from the breech end with your cleaning tools whenever possible although is usually not possible with revolvers. The block at the bach that supports the recoil pad prevents running a cleaning rod in from the back end.

So, those of you with a Buckmark, how do you clean it? It seems like very little is accomplished by removing the slide. Maybe occasionally to clean and lube the firing pin block. It seems like cleaning the barrel and breech face can be done without disassembly.

Fremmer
September 15, 2005, 04:32 PM
I take the slide off, and clean everywhere with patches and q-tips. I used to use a rod to clean the bore. After reviewing other posts concerning bore cleaning for the regular buckmark, I think I'll buy a boresnake (I presume they make a size for the .22) and skip the rod, thereby eliminating risk of damaging the crown-area.

Don't remove the grips. You'll have springs popping out (surprise!), and I discovered that even after several hundred rounds, that area of the gun doesn't get dirty enough to merit cleaning.

HSMITH
September 15, 2005, 06:52 PM
Keep it wet with oil and the fouling will stay soft. Clean every 5000 rounds whether it needs it or not.

I clean the barrel on mine every 3 or 4 years whether it needs it or not. 22's shoot better with a fouled barrel than they do clean, so leave the barrel alone. If you are in a rust prone environment a little oil in the bore won't hurt.

Most shooters overclean their guns and WAY overclean their 22's. Keep it wet and shoot it, it will shoot better and last a lifetime plus.

My Buckmark has over 100K rounds through it, and shoots as good as the day I got it. It is very reliable also.