PDA

View Full Version : Switching rear sights on Glocks

tjhands
September 15, 2005, 08:00 AM
Hi. Is it easy to switch the plastic rear sight on a newer Glock? Do they slide out or what? Any special tools? Thanks! :)

Super38
September 15, 2005, 08:59 AM
Glock sells a special tool for removal and replacement of the rear sights. Is it absolutly necessary? My local gunsmith thinks so. I think those tools are about $100.00 or so.

tjhands
September 15, 2005, 09:02 AM
Oh, bloody great. The plastic rear sight from Glock is $3.85 and the tool to change it with is a hundred bucks. Just great. :(

Super38
September 15, 2005, 09:09 AM
Here's one;

http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/181

Zekewolf
September 15, 2005, 09:16 AM
The MGW Glock rear sight tool handles both large and small-framed Glocks and costs only around $60. The Glock factory tool is specific to frame size and costs too much.

You don't need a sight pusher, unless you're installing a steel rear sight with a hard press fit. You can easily remove and install the flimsy, cheap plastic sight with a wooden dowel and small hammer.

tjhands
September 15, 2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys.

Zeke, yes it's just the cheap plastic rear from Glock that I want to remove and install. Right now I have the 6.9mm rear, but it shoots too high at 25 yards. I want to switch to the next size down, the 6.5mm. It's the same cheap plastic and costs only $3.85.

So all I need is a wooden dowel and small hammer to swap them?

Zekewolf
September 15, 2005, 02:53 PM
Yep, small hammer and wooden dowel. Just drive the old sight out and drive the new sight in. You can go from either way, as the dovetail is symmetrical.