PDA

View Full Version : Bought a S&W 59 Today!!

Smith66
September 14, 2005, 10:22 PM
Well, I was just in town running some errands this afternoon, when I stopped by a local sporting goods store, when all of a sudden a SW 59 caught my eye. Usually I don't buy handguns so spontaniously, but I just had to have it. The finish shows some holster wear, and there are a couple little scratches, but the action is smooth and solid, and I love the way it fits my hand. I shot a box through it when I got home, and the trigger is sweet. Pretty acurate too; I was hitting pop cans at 15 yards pretty consistently, but I'd like to take it to the range and shoot paper targets this weekend. I think it will make a great project pistol, I'd love to have some work done and make it my own. I do have one problem though. I don't know how to disassemble it, and it did not come with a manual. Can anybody give me some tips on that? Any help would be appreciated!

Smith66

Blue Heeler
September 14, 2005, 10:38 PM
I think, though I'm not certain, that diagrams are available on one of the major gun parts sellers website. Alas, I do not remember which one. Maybe start at Numrich. Good luck.

HighValleyRanch
September 14, 2005, 11:17 PM
Not sure is the 59 is built similar to the other SW autos like the SW52, 625 and 745.
But the usual takedown method on all of these is:
Rack the slide back so that the slide notch on the left side lines up with the front pin portion of the slide lock. Push the pin from the right side of the pistol and the pin and slide lock should come right out. After that, you can just slide the slide forward off the frame. Be sure the magazine is out.
Once out, you can usually slide the barrel and recoil spring and rod out. On the SW 52 sometimes you have to unscrew the barrel bushing to get the barrel out.
To reassemble. just reverse the order. When you slide the slide back to the notch, you can push the slide lock back in, let the slide forward and it's all locked back in again. Pop the magazine back in, be sure it is empty and put the safety on and drop the hammer back down.

newerguy
September 15, 2005, 08:26 AM
The process HighRanch describes is the same as the one for the 669 (the shorter, more stainless 59), except on the 669 there are three springsteel-looking levers (a single one and two togeather) at the rear of the frame which must be depressed to allow the slide to move over them when REASSEMBLING.

JoeHatley
September 15, 2005, 08:41 AM
Go here for a manual showing the steps.

http://customersupport.smith-wesson.com/contentbuilder/layout.php3?contentPath=content/00/01/31/06/03/userdirectory53.content

Good Luck...

Joe

HighValleyRanch
September 15, 2005, 11:28 AM
Newerguy,
you are correct, there is something that I have to push down on the top of the frame to get the slide to clear all the way back. Just one, though.