PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Aromory 1911 build (da paln)

mako8551
September 13, 2005, 09:26 PM
Does this sound like a good plan?? I'm specifically asking those "old guys" that hang around the gun shops. (not a bad thing)

Being that I live in Californa I cannot buy a Caspian frame or any frame for that matter because of our all powerful approved handgunlist. So am in my 10 day waiting period for a springfield Mil-Spec parked. I'm going to play around w/ it for a few months before I mess with it. I have however shot the model before so I do know that it already handels pretty well.

I'm going to box it up and send it to Wilson Combat for the whole shebang.

I'm going to add :
Match barrel and fit
Flat checkered mainsprin housing
Skeletonized hammer and trigger w/ trigger job
Bevertail safty
New bullet proof parts: extractor, firing pin& stop, slide stop, sear,and ejector
Novak lo-mount sights
Checkered cocobolo grips

Cosmetically:
checker frontstrap and front of trigger guard
Also have the black Armor tuff coating put on everything

I'm aso going to have the slide tightened to the frame a bit and their reliaility package.

I'll end up with somthing very similar to the springfiled's professional model at afew hundred less minus the full lenfthguide rod, ambi-safety and the extended magwell. (none of which I want or need)
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PC9111Large.jpg

DHart
September 14, 2005, 12:10 AM
mako said: "I'll end up with somthing very similar to the springfiled's professional model at afew hundred less minus the full lenfthguide rod, ambi-safety and the extended magwell. (none of which I want or need)"

Only trouble is, the SA Pro model is a known entity and as such will always command pretty good money on resale. A customized SA mil-spec wouldn't bring half what you plan to put into it... if even that... no matter how tricked out you make it. If you're going to spend $1800, spend it on a used Ed Brown or SA Pro... you'll always be able to get out of it for what you paid or possibly more.

Of course if you just flat out want to put a lot of money into totally reworking a 1911, you would be much better off with a Colt base gun as they are most often the preferred base for customizing and will command a bit more money on resale customized than a customized SA mil-spec will bring. Neither, of course, will be sellable for what you'd put into them... just some thoughts to consider.

My suggestion would be to keep that SA mil-spec as a nice mil-spec shooter and re-think how you might spend that left over money. That extra money would buy you a nice Colt XSE, for example.. then you'd have two cool and very different 1911's rather than one very over-invested Springfield mil-spec.

http://www.legendportraits.com/Images/Guns/XSE_L_4941a.jpg

mako8551
September 14, 2005, 01:27 AM
I don't tend to sell many of my guns. I just plan to make it my own. mine all mine. no touchie.

Seraph
September 14, 2005, 08:13 AM
Mr. Hart has a point, and a collection of nice 1911's to prove it, but I'm with you, mako. Nevermind resale value. Why would you want to sell your own custom sidearm anyway?

http://workhorsearmory.com/seraph/Valentine_01.jpg

carpfisher
September 14, 2005, 10:32 AM
I sure hope you were gentle when you laid the nice looking hunk of iron on the rocky ground! I cringed when I saw that.

DHart
September 14, 2005, 11:39 AM
Seraph... NICE custom Springer ya got there. I do understand not intending to sell a fine and very expensive custom 1911. I have one which I had extensively customized and paid a small fortune for (about $2200 including the gun and the custom work) and I'm thrilled to have it. I didn't mean to be too discouraging, mako, except to offer some food for thought! I have another lesser 1911 that I put a lot of money into customizing that I now wish I'd left stock. :rolleyes:

Kestrel
September 14, 2005, 12:12 PM
Seraph,

That pistol looks good. Would you mind sharing some details on it? Such as, what trigger you have, the mag well/MSH, grip safety and hammer/sear?

Also, what finish do you have on it?

Thanks,
Steve

Seraph
September 14, 2005, 12:17 PM
I sure hope you were gentle when you laid the nice looking hunk of iron on the rocky ground! I cringed when I saw that. I took that photo about an hour after the pistol was delivered to my house. Even after I oiled it down, the parkerizing was kinda dry and oil-thirsty. I was very careful putting the pistol down on the concrete stepping stone thing, but I really don't worry about it, as it is my daily carry weapon. She's already starting to show the beginnings of blessed holster wear. :)

I do understand not intending to sell a fine and very expensive custom 1911. I have one which I had extensively customized and paid a small fortune for (about $2200 including the gun and the custom work) and I'm thrilled to have it. $2200 - My wife would have a stroke. My pistol is by no means a fine and very expensive custom 1911. The pistol in my pic totals about $1300, including the $489 price of the pistol, and about $400 in aftermarket parts. The modest work done was very nicely executed, and every single part throughout is top of the line, but it is afterall a fairly plain jane carry gun. It's nothing spectacular, but my enthusiasm for it stems more from my satisfaction in knowing that is has been setup exactly according to my wishes.

auto45
September 14, 2005, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a plan.

But, I'd be surprised if Wilson would have to tighten the frame/slide. The ones I've seen are pretty tight.

And, if you are replacing all the internal parts I'm not sure a seperate "reliability" package would be needed, because Wilson is installing everything...and it has to work before it leaves the shop. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Seraph
September 14, 2005, 12:58 PM
Seraph,

That pistol looks good. Would you mind sharing some details on it? Such as, what trigger you have, the mag well/MSH, grip safety and hammer/sear?

Also, what finish do you have on it?

Thanks,
Steve
The pistol started as a Springfield Armory Mil Spec M1911-A1, serial# NM 185***. Straight out of the box, it was 100% reliable through 1000's of rounds, and was very accurate, but I intended from the outset to make it the basis of a custom. I picked it out of about 7 or 8 total Mil Specs that were in stores around town, because it seemed to have exceptional fit and finish (though all of them I'd seen were nice). Later, I found out that the NM serial # and the lack of import markings meant that my pistol was more or less made in America, out of Brazilian steel. Due to this, which enhanced my appreciation for the pistol, I decided to have custom work done at Springfield Armory Custom Shop, because I knew their reputation for good work, and liked the idea of retaining Springfield's lifetime warranty. After about 4000 trouble-free rounds, I sent the pistol and a bunch of parts to SA Custom Shop. Here's what they did:

4# trigger job, using Ed Brown Hardcore hammer, sear, disconnector, hammer strut, and Greider medium length trigger.

Heinie serrated ramp front sight, with Trijicon tritium insert, mated to plain black Heinie Slant Pro rear sight, in a Novak dovetail cut (I specified the Novak cut to allow more options should I eventually decide to try other sights).

Ed Brown weld-on magwell was installed. I asked them not to open the magwell back into the MSH, because I wanted to be able to try different MSH's. The magwell works great, and I'm happy with my decision on that.

Ed Brown Hardcore slide stop, Ed Brown "tactical" thumb safety, Ed Brown standard mag release, all installed, dehorned. (All the small pins and such throughout were replaced with parts from an Ed Brown 1911 rebuild kit.)

Smith & Alexander beavertail grip safety was installed. I had them thoroughly rebate and dehorn the speed bump.

My pistol was unusual for a Mil Spec, in that it came with a pretty nice stainless barrel and bushing, exhibiting near-match fit. No accuracy work was needed. Slide to frame fit was very tight when the pistol was new, but there were a couple of catchy feeling spots in the rails that you could feel when hand cycling. I didn't complain about that, but SA seems to have lapped the rails smooth. Now, there is a little play in the slide, like you expect to see on a Colt, but it hasn't changed the accuracy.

The pistol retains its OEM firing pin, firing pin stop, ejector (pinned), extractor, recoil spring guide and plug. It has an ILS-free Colt steel mainspring housing, arched and serrated.

The pistol was discreetly dehorned all over, just enough to soften the sharp edges, and barely even visually discernible. The finish is a dark charcoal colored manganese phosphate (black parkerizing) - my favorite.

Kestrel
September 17, 2005, 12:52 PM
Seraph,

Thanks for the info. Gives me ideas for one, myself.

Thanks.

tex45acp
September 17, 2005, 09:51 PM
mako,

I felt the same way as you do when I bought my SA GI WWII Champion. I was not going to buy it but the dealer sold it to me for a song. I decided to take matters into my own hands and make the carry gun I really wanted. It already shot exceptionally, even with the 7 1/2lb. GI trigger.

I heavily dehorned all sharp edges on the slide, especially on the front for ease of holstering. The gun originally had a "cut you deep" 90 from the muzzle end to the sides if the slide. Then I lowered and flared the ejection port and dehorned all edges here as well. I then sent the slide in to have it reparkerized after installing a set of Novak Extreme Duty Adjustable Night Sights. I then went to work on the frame. I first added a beavertail grip, changed to a flat checkered mainspring housing and added an ambedextrious thumb safety. The last thing I did was to add a Cylinder & Slide drop in trigger set and a McCormick Black three hole trigger. I then sent the frame to Springfield for reparkerizing. The final result is exactaly what I wanted and at a cost much less than if bought that way. It's a great shooter and even better to carry. Like you I will request to be buried with this gun. It's very special to me and it is really fun to shoot. I am at about 2500 rounds with it with only a few FTFeeds in the beginning before I polished the feed ramp and chamfered the entrance to the chamber throat. I have had no feed problems since then. The first picture is from SA of the gun in stock condition and the last is the product before I added the ambi thumb safety.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15106&stc=1

This is what it looks like now:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14231 http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14232 http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14233

Needless to say I really like the outcome!!! :D

mako8551
September 21, 2005, 10:59 PM
I love all the custom 1911's here.
If i got a colt i would leave it stock for nostalgas sake.
that is why i got the SA i wont have a problem w/ tinkerin a bit.
Keep the project gun pics commin guys this is beter than show us your SA thread.

Eghad
September 22, 2005, 05:54 AM
Started out the same way in the early 90s. Bought a mil spec SA 1911. Sent it to SA Custom Shop. Had the same treatment done. It is now about 15 years old and doing fine :D

boogalou1
September 23, 2005, 10:02 AM
The pistol started as a Springfield Armory Mil Spec M1911-A1, serial# NM 185***.

I also have a SA with the NM prefix, and it is an exceptional firearm with the same characteristics as yours. Only thing I've done to it since this pic is a new McCormick trigger.

IanS
September 23, 2005, 02:03 PM
Does this sound like a good plan?? I'm specifically asking those "old guys" that hang around the gun shops. (not a bad thing)

Being that I live in Californa I cannot buy a Caspian frame or any frame for that matter because of our all powerful approved handgunlist. So am in my 10 day waiting period for a springfield Mil-Spec parked. I'm going to play around w/ it for a few months before I mess with it. I have however shot the model before so I do know that it already handels pretty well.

I'm going to box it up and send it to Wilson Combat for the whole shebang.

I'm going to add :
Match barrel and fit
Flat checkered mainsprin housing
Skeletonized hammer and trigger w/ trigger job
Bevertail safty
New bullet proof parts: extractor, firing pin& stop, slide stop, sear,and ejector
Novak lo-mount sights
Checkered cocobolo grips

Cosmetically:
checker frontstrap and front of trigger guard
Also have the black Armor tuff coating put on everything

I'm aso going to have the slide tightened to the frame a bit and their reliaility package.

I'll end up with somthing very similar to the springfiled's professional model at afew hundred less minus the full lenfthguide rod, ambi-safety and the extended magwell. (none of which I want or need)

Here's my SA Pro:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/Ian111/IMG_0541.jpg

1. The Pro comes with standard GI plug and rod.

2. SA Pro has oversized frame rails fitted to slide instead of squeezing and tightening.

3. The SA Pro comes nicely beveled.

4. SA Pro is finished entirely in BlackT.

5. SA Pro comes with 6 mags (Metalform or Wilson)

6. SA Pro comes with the backing of SA's excellent Custom Shop

7. The Pro is one of the most tested pistols issued to LEO/Military.

8. And yes, the resale value is excellent because the Pro is a "known" quality to many.

I'm not saying the Pro is a better choice for you than what you have planned. I've priced something very similar to a Pro to be worked on a Mil-Spec and it came out to be much more than the Pro. The Pro is a pretty good deal if all those features are desireable to the owner. You could also send your GI to SA's Custom shop and ask them to make a "Professional" model minus the features you dont' want. Who's doing the work on your GI?