PDA

View Full Version : New XD-9 owner here and I am impressed so far

EIGHTYDUECE
September 13, 2005, 07:59 PM
For the fourth time, I went into to local gunstore to buy a glock 19 and walked out with something else. A stainless XD-9 4" w/3 16rd mags. for $480.00.

I have nothing against glock and will again try and buy one in the near future.

Fit and finish of this pistol is first rate for sure. Grip could be about 1/2" shorter but it does feel good in the hand. I look forward to shooting it :D

I did put an idiot scratch on it during take down, but it is barely noticable :(
When I went to slide the slide off the frame my thumb pushed the takedown lever down scratching the slide :(
From now on, I will use the front grips on the slide to remove it from the frame.

Now I'm on the look-out for a nice IWB holster for it. I plan on carrying this quite a bit once I prove its reliability at the range.

Thanks for all the info on these pistols.

leadcounsel
September 13, 2005, 09:31 PM
Have a 3" and 4" in .40 and love 'em.

Mr.XD9mm
September 13, 2005, 09:40 PM
I did the same thing went I was looking for a Glock. When I saw and felt the XD I was hooked like a big bass.

I have put close to 400rds through mine without any problems have had it for about 2weeks. Got mine at Gander Mountain for $447 of course their price was 469 but after calling Academy, I knew that theirs was $7 cheaper.

Since I am always on the lookout for a great deal I challenged Gander's policy on their products. Told them there and they called to check out what I said, then the salesmen comes back and said,"Are you sure it was $462 because they told me $458. Told the guy hell that sounds better so they matched Academy's price, and then gave me $22 off that price. Pistol was new in box and got 2 15rd magazines with my XD9 Service model.

I know people have had good and bad experiences with Gander but when they can match and give you up to $50 of the difference in price then it allows you to buy a few more boxes of ammo.

EIGHTYDUECE
September 14, 2005, 08:47 AM
Is it me or is the recoil spring pretty stout on this pistol? It is a bit tough pulling the slide back compared to a CZ-75 or 1911.

kgpcr
September 14, 2005, 12:50 PM
I have three XD's and soon to be four. I love them and think they beat Glock hands down!!

Topthis
September 15, 2005, 01:57 AM
It's a matter of personal taste. I prefer XD's over Glocks myself, also. I got a good deal on my G23c, thats the only reason I bought it.

Acegoesbang
September 15, 2005, 02:32 AM
wish i never got read of mine i was busting a 12'' metal dong at 100 pretty consistantly with mine but i let it go before the high caps comeout it was full size XD9mm

SAXD9
September 15, 2005, 05:34 AM
I went into to local gunstore to buy a glock 19 and walked out with something else. A stainless XD-9 4" w/3 16rd mags. for $480.00.

Not bad. I got my XD-9 and 2 15rd mags a year ago for $425

So far I have no complaints at all.

Hello123
September 15, 2005, 07:12 AM
I sold mine only to buy something new. It really is a fine gun.

us.armysniper
September 15, 2005, 08:17 AM
For me it was a pick between the 4" xd in od green for $475, a glock 17 with s-31 rd mags and 2 17 rd mags, for $550, or the ruger p345, for $450.. I decided on the xd and absolutly love it great weapon up to around 1000 rds of various ammo. I decided against the glock because of the size, not good for carry, and the ruger just looked cheap to me but the more i look at them the more i think I might want one now.

dave_in_delaware
September 15, 2005, 08:35 AM
Wow! "A stainless XD-9 4" w/3 16rd mags. for $480.00" ?? That's a great price for that package. I got my XD a few months ago, w/ a 10 rnd mag and a 15 rnd mag, plain black, for $420.

I love my XD-9 subbie. Almost 900 rounds through it, no problems with the gun at all. My fiancee loves her's, too. The XD's are an awesome group of firearms. You can't go wrong with them, IMHO.

Enjoy your XD. :D

GeoJelly
September 19, 2005, 09:16 AM
I don't have an XD-9 yet but intend to get one when I return to the States. I do have one area of concern though that the rear slide rails on the frame are polymer. The Ruger P-95 and 345 use all-polymer rails but there's are bigger/thicker than the XD's. Has anyone heard anything about broken rails or excessive slide to frame play due to wear on the rear rails?

SAXD9
September 19, 2005, 08:47 PM
I think the front metal rails handle 99% of the work. After several hundred rounds of CCI Blazer, and a bunch of +P+ Ranger SXT, there's not a single scratch on the rear rails on mine. I'm not worried about it, if there was a big problem I don't think they'd offer the lifetime warranty.

LH2
September 19, 2005, 11:32 PM
I'm considering an XD for range use/car gun/home defense. Very comfy ergonomics and everybody that owns one seems to like it. I've also been impressed by the Sig Pro and CZ 75 which are pretty similarly priced.

Anyway, I was leaning toward 9mm since it's the cheapest XD caliber to shoot. But since the gun will double as a home defense weapon/car gun should I reconsider the .40SW? And how much cheaper is 9mm to shoot than 40SW anyway?

silverandgold
September 20, 2005, 09:33 AM
I just hit the 1000 round mark with my XD tactical (5"). No problems of any sort thus far, and it's a lot more accurate than I am.

Wish I could afford to shoot it more. And a tactical light would be way cool.

IMO, to get a gun that has the qualities of an XD, I'd have had to pay at least $200 more.

dolanp
September 20, 2005, 10:51 AM
I frequent the XD forums all the time and I have never once heard anyone even mention the rails as a possible issue.

gddyup
September 20, 2005, 07:45 PM
Love my XD9 Bi-Tone. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and so far have only put 150 rounds through it. The gun is just so damn comfortable and shootable than other 9mms I have tried out. I plan on carrying this once I decide on the best IWB holster for my needs.

Wynterbourne
September 20, 2005, 08:00 PM
Now I'm on the look-out for a nice IWB holster for it.

Tucker Gunleather 'Texas Heritage'

http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/teheiwb.html

It's a leather tuckable IWB holster with a VERY slim profile. The Kydex clips are available in a number of styles to suit your needs. It has an adjustable cant, sweat shield, and is 'smooth side out'.

I used one for a Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm (8+ inches long and 40 ounces unloaded) and it would make the sucker almost invisible.

Lead time for this model is 4-5 weeks.

Blade-Tech 'UCH' Ultimate Concealment Holster

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=10H&cat=22

It's an all Kydex tuckable IWB holster. Haven't used one, but it's supposed to have some good reviews. The site that I've posted it from has units in stock and available for immediate delivery.

Tucker Gunleather 'The Answer'

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=05XDL&cat=24

This is an absolutely fantastic hybrid holster. It's a leather backed holster that uses Kydex to hold the weapon. You end up with the speed of draw and ease of reholstering that you find on a good Kydex holster. But you retain the comfort and the molding capability of a good leather holster.

The only downside to this holster is that it has NO retention when you take your pants off. So, if you go to the potty, you might want to unholster your weapon first.

LH2
September 20, 2005, 09:43 PM
Love my XD9 Bi-Tone. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and so far have only put 150 rounds through it. The gun is just so damn comfortable and shootable than other 9mms I have tried out.

Hey gddyup, curious what else you tried. There are a few nice 9mm's out there, hard to pick one! :)

gddyup
September 20, 2005, 11:01 PM
Hey gddyup, curious what else you tried. There are a few nice 9mm's out there, hard to pick one!

The 9mms I have fired :

Sig 226
Sig 239
Beretta 92
Glock 17

Of those, the XD was the most comfortable for me. The Sigs came in a close second, but they felt a bit heavier than the XD and I could hit slightly better with the XD than the Sigs. The Sig is a great piece, just a little out-classed when it comes to my skill level.

Half-Price Assassin
September 20, 2005, 11:15 PM
i personally dont trust anything made in America. i love this country, but for some reason, everything made here, or American owned just sucks. froms cars, to t.v.'s, to c.d. players, they just dont last and they dont work right. and dont get me started on America's guns! we have produced crap, and old re-make crap for the past 50+ years. i love my home, i love living in the U.S., but i will never buy an American pistol, just dont come close to their germanic counter parts. :(

Go for the Glory, go for the GLOCK!

p.s. -- i did buy a Bushmaster xm-15........... :eek:

LH2
September 20, 2005, 11:25 PM
i personally dont trust anything made in America. i love this country, but for some reason, everything made here, or American owned just sucks.

You know the S-A XD series aren't American-made right? ;) Made in Croatia actually.

PeterGunn
September 20, 2005, 11:32 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

i personally dont trust anything made in America. i love this country, but for some reason, everything made here, or American owned just sucks. froms cars, to t.v.'s, to c.d. players, they just dont last and they dont work right. and dont get me started on America's guns! we have produced crap, and old re-make crap for the past 50+ years. i love my home, i love living in the U.S., but i will never buy an American pistol, just dont come close to their germanic counter parts.

Go for the Glory, go for the GLOCK!

Going back through the entire thread, I am not sure what is meant by these statements from Half Price Assassin. The XD is manufactured in Croatia by IM Metal. They were marketed in the USA for a few years as the HS2000 prior to SA picking up the rights to market them by a company in Knoxville, TN.

Whether or not American made handguns suffer from a lack of quality remains to be seen and I would argue that point as I have owned several American made pistols and revolvers all of which were excellent performers. Reality is that Springfield is the importer of the pistol and serves as the primary source of service and repair.

Again I may have missed something and if I have my apologies, but I thought that this info needed to be pointed out.

God Bless

Half-Price Assassin
September 20, 2005, 11:43 PM
You know the S-A XD series aren't American-made right? Made in Croatia actually.

Yes, i do, but its made by an old time classic, American company, Springfield! but isnt that the American way, instead of hiring AMERICANS, and opening in AMERICA, and paying AMERICAN taxes, and they move to Croatia, to save money? hate Gaston, but that dirty foreign guy did open a new factory here, which will lead to hi-paying good jobs for us Americans who get them. so while Springfield is moving out to save money (still producing GLOCK rip-offs), GLOCK is moving into America!
while i dont know what came first, the Chicken or the egg, but i do know the GLOCK came before the Springfield XD, i will stick with the Real McCoy, for this one.

thanks Gaston for bring great guns and jobs to us Americans!

EIGHTYDUECE
September 21, 2005, 09:13 AM
Springfield does not make the XD nor did they design it.

IM Metal was looking for a new importer to the US and they found it thru SA.

IM Metal is a complete seperate company from SA.

I can understand your view torward SA farming out 1911 parts but the XD is a completely diferent story.

If Americans are so inept at producing goods, then why do you think we will be able to handle such a task as Glock Manufacturing at their new factory here? Will the new glocks be substandard?

us.armysniper
September 21, 2005, 10:53 AM
Well if they are sub standard you will probally be able to pick them up at your local wal-mart! :p

PeterGunn
September 21, 2005, 03:12 PM
How about this...

SA found a pistol that could easily compete with the GLOCK and made a wise business decision that put its name and marketing power behind it.

IM Metal, which has been making guns since 1991 (Glock released its initial model 17 in 1985), obviously found a viable company with the muscle to sell their product. The only trade off was that SA got to put their name on it. Either way you look at it, it was a savvy business move simply because IM Metal has moved more product since SA took over American marketing than ever before.

The existence and popularity of the HS2000/XD series proves that the GLOCK design can be improved and altered to fit a whole new bunch of shooters who love the concept but haven't been able to embrace the GLOCK for several reasons, many of which are discussed at length every 5 seconds on this forum and others.

Where it is made and who makes it are not germane to the fact that thus far the XD/HS2000 are proving themselves to be excellent pistols.

God Bless

payne
September 21, 2005, 04:55 PM
Glock wasn't the first poly gun either. XD'c are Croatian originated. Springfield never shipped out a factory to Croatia to make them. They just import a born and bred Croation product.

PeterGunn
September 21, 2005, 05:00 PM
Glock wasn't the first poly gun either.

It was however the first successful one, from both a design and marketing point of view.

XD'c are Croatian originated.

Correct sir!

Springfield never shipped out a factory to Croatia to make them. They just import a born and bred Croation product.

Correct again!!! SA did however mandate a replacement of the original extractor to a larger one.

God Bless

amaverick
September 22, 2005, 08:08 PM
Normally I always try to buy American for two reasons. First the are better IMHO than what is manufactured in most other countries. Second, even if the item cost more I would rather support American products. It is just that most of the stuff in our stores are made in China. (crap) Supposedly the Croatians take much pride in the factory that makes the XD and the results seem to indicate they really do.

us.armysniper
September 23, 2005, 08:02 AM
I like to buy american made weapons as well but, the gas that we fill in our vehicles is funding terrorist, and funds there horindous acts. At least the chinese aren't trying to kill us and knock down our buildings.

leadcounsel
September 23, 2005, 10:32 AM
"At least the chinese aren't trying to kill us and knock down our buildings."

NOT YET anyway!!! Wait until the price of oil is over $100 a barrel and we're competing with China for oil.

Boss Spearman
September 23, 2005, 04:27 PM
I think XDs are built just as well as Glocks.