PDA

View Full Version : "Non-Typical" 1911's - Accessories?

Bo Hunter
September 13, 2005, 08:52 AM
I've been looking at various guns and was curious about getting accessories for those that don't fit the "standard" mold. Are the "non typical" 1911's like the Para Carry, Warthog, or Springfield Micro and Ultra compacts still considered "1911's" when buying holsters and such? Will they fit properly?

Just curious how that works...

XavierBreath
September 13, 2005, 08:55 AM
It's going to depend on the holster as well as the gun. On a 1911 the dustcover shape makes a big difference.

Eghad
September 13, 2005, 09:18 AM
Reason I purchased a Yaqui type holster....because I have two 5" 1911s and two 4" 1911s.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=1239&GunID=183

RickB
September 13, 2005, 11:02 AM
In general, 1911s come in four basic sizes. Full-size, or Government size (5" barrel, full-length butt); Commander size (4"-4.25", full-length butt), Officers size (3.5", 'Officers length' butt), and then - since you'll notice the previous are all based on Colt products - Defender size (3" barrel, Officers length butt). Whether you are buying holsters, grips, mainspring housings, or just about any other accessories, you'll find them sorted into those general categories. Of course, there are some variations. The Detonics grip frame is shorter than Officers length, so even though it is generally of "Officers size", it requires specific grips. A currently popular configuration is a Commander length slide on an Officers length butt (CCO in Colt parlance), and that requires a Commander holster, guide rod, recoil springs, etc., but Officers grips, mainspring housing, etc.
In general, holsters will work with any frame configuration, as long as you order to suit your barrel length.

tex45acp
September 13, 2005, 12:43 PM
I had a Para Carry 12 LDA that fit into any 1911 holster that I have.