PDA

View Full Version : Self-Securing Holsters

StinkyTool
September 13, 2005, 06:19 AM
Thinking about purchasing a Self-Securing Holster such as this one,http://www.safariland.com/products.asp?id=17, anyone have one or had any experience with one? Pros and Cons would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

CarbineCaleb
September 13, 2005, 06:43 AM
No experience - just questions - it looks like the self-securing feature is used in place of a retention strap for security in open carry mode for LEOs? How do you get the gun back out when it is "snapped in" (what is the release movement)?

I think Safariland does make some high quality, well engineered products. I have their model 560 - convertible paddle/belt loop outside waistband holster and think it's great.

StinkyTool
September 13, 2005, 03:55 PM
From what I read on other websites you are supposed to rock the gun towards the rear to releases it.

AMT8951
September 13, 2005, 04:15 PM
There are all sorts of differences between the diff models. Some you have to rotate the butt towards your body, some you need to rock the but forward while pushing down. Some have thumb breaks and some even have bogus snaps and straps that serve to distract someone who is trying to grab your gun. Although this may sound complicated, most level 2 or 3 holsters are easy to master with a little practice.

Wildcard
September 13, 2005, 05:15 PM
IF you are an LEO, then self securing holsters might be worth looking in to. If its for citizen ccw, I would stay away from them. To much trouble when the SHFT to employ your weapon, IMO. YMMV

CarbineCaleb
September 13, 2005, 05:31 PM
Weapons retention is more of an issue for LEOs, according to my instructor this past weekend at the S&W Academy - he said that most officers shot are actually shot with their own gun.

He said that it's less of an issue for civilians, because until you draw, bad guy probably won't know you have a gun or where it is - so much less likely to go for it. Still, it could fall out during fisticuffs or wrestling, or could be discovered during the same... so not a nonissue, just less important.

Bravo25
September 13, 2005, 05:48 PM
Look at a Blackhawk Serpa Holster. It locks in place when you drop it in the holster, and the release mechanisim is naturally under your index finger when you index the firearm for draw. I used the Safariland with the rotating hood, and it was okay, but then I tried the Blackhawk, and I wouldn't use anything else. On duty or CCW. Unless it is an IWB for CCW.