PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Low mount thumb safety question

Wildcard
September 13, 2005, 01:29 AM
I love my 1911's, would never trade any of them, well maybe trade one for the Beretta PX4, but that is another thread.

I have a hard time keeping my grip when drawing, snicking off the thumb safety, either mil spec or extended. I have researched and found there are makers of a low mount thumb safety, made by either Gunsite or Yost.

My question is: Are these good, do they work fine, give you a better hand hold and are they eaiser to hit and disengage? Any help from people who use a low mount thumb safety, or 1911 gurus, will be much appreciated.

auto45
September 13, 2005, 07:16 AM
I had a lo-mount years ago and they are comfortable.

Your thumb stays on the safety when you shoot. It's not a safety where you snick it off and then place your thumb under it...it's too low. But, that's the purpose of that design if you have trouble with a regular extended safety.

I have medium sized hands and finally switched to the regular extended safety with my thumb always on the safety. It's awkward at first, but you may wish to try it with a 1911 that has the extended beavertail and safety before you buy the low mount, i.e. several hundred rounds not a couple of shots. If that doesn't work, then try the lo-mount IMHO.

Tim Burke
September 13, 2005, 09:17 AM
The low mount safety has its advantages, but one big disadvantage is there is a tendency to accidentally engage it when firing with the support hand. You should probably try one before you buy... but they aren't that common.
There are also mid-position safeties available on a custom basis, that have the advantages of the low mount, without the disadvantage.