PDA

View Full Version : new version Kel Tec P3AT verses old version

jOHNnlv
September 13, 2005, 12:39 AM
How can I tell if the Kel Tec P3AT is the new version one? Is there something that stands out if theres not an older version right next to it to compair it to?
I'm looking to get one but I want the new version one and I'm sure if I ask the gun guy that he's just gonna say "yeah, this one is the new one".

JohnNLV

Old Shooter
September 13, 2005, 05:42 AM
The slide on the gen 2 is squared off at the muzzle. The gen 1 was rounder.

alamo
September 13, 2005, 09:57 AM
This will pretty much cover everything:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1118894836

mfree
September 13, 2005, 02:02 PM
The big indicator is the big honking screw-mounted leaf spring extractor on the gen 2s versus the more normal pinned sprung external extractor on the Gen 1s.

jOHNnlv
September 14, 2005, 12:11 AM
Thanx guys for all the info on the diffrence between the two, however, the FG extractor looks better. Is there that much better performance in the SG than the FG. What all is wrong with the FG anyway.

Thanx for the help
JohnNLV

kymasabe
September 14, 2005, 12:14 AM
Easiest way for me to tell is to look at the top of the slide. 2nd generation slides are flat-topped. 1st Gen has a peak like a house roof. There is also an extra loose part at the muzzle end at the recoil spring.

Steve499
September 14, 2005, 12:13 PM
John.... There are several threads on TFL about the P3AT and it's reliability, or lack of it some would say. I purchased a second generation a couple of months ago and am very happy with it. Based on what I read on TFL, I would not have bought a first generation. I have had zero problems with mine after shooting 5 different brands of ammo through it. I know 250 rounds is not a very exhaustive test but thats as far as I've gotten. My only complaint about mine was the trigger tip pinched my finger against the inside of the trigger guard about 2/3rds of the way through the pull. I fixed that so now I have NO complaints. Mine even shoots to point of aim at 7 yards!
Search some of the old P3AT threads here. They will explain why the 1st/2nd generation thing is an issue.
Steve

leadcounsel
September 14, 2005, 12:19 PM
I also have a 2nd Gen P3AT and echo much of Steve's experiences. I would not have bought a 1st Gen after researching it.

I've but about 200 rounds through mine. It seems to work flawlessly on brass cased ammo. I do not recommend using any Wolf steel cased ammo b/c it causes mine to jam regularly. Mine also pinches my shooting finger at the first knuckle and I cannot figure out how to avoid getting a painful bloody blister after just a few shots. Steve, can you elaborate on how you fixed this?

Steve499
September 14, 2005, 09:40 PM
Definately not a real gunsmith option and not something I would do to anyone else's pistol, but it worked. I heated the jaws of a small pair of needle-nosed pliers with a propane torch until they were hot enough to make the plastic of the trigger pliable. I gripped the very tip of the trigger in the jaws and squeezed while bending the tip rearward. The plastic moved to extend the tip of the trigger enough toward the trigger guard so my finger won't fit between them any longer. Needless to say, get the pliers TOO hot and you'll have a really short trigger!
Steve

jOHNnlv
September 15, 2005, 12:42 AM
ThankYou Guys...It's the SG for me then. I try to follow those who have gone befor me.

JohnNLV

bubbygator
September 15, 2005, 08:45 PM
However.... prior to the introduction of the SG (beginning about HAA##), the factory began making adjustments to the FG that considerably improved reliability. I have a HAQ## that was perfect right from the box with no fluff & buff.

jOHNnlv
September 18, 2005, 11:37 PM
Do you have to fluff and buff the SG P3AT out of the box?

JohnNLV

mfree
September 19, 2005, 07:48 AM
To the people who consider Keltecs as just another "ring of fire" SNS manufacturer, I submit this...

....Keltec really does make an effort and actually seems to *care* and make sure that the customers get functional, useful firearms.

Strangely enough, so does Hi-Point...

Steve499
September 19, 2005, 09:06 AM
John- didn't do a thing to mine except shoot it. To date, no failures to feed, misfires, stovepipes or anything, just bangs.
Steve