PDA

View Full Version : Need grip design ideas - 1911 slide

Shorts
September 12, 2005, 11:23 PM
Hey yall, I'm in the process of doodling around with my project 1911. I often check the chamber as well as rack and let the slide down by using the single-handed "hand over the top of the slide" method. You know, where the four fingers go over the top of the slide while the thumb goes on the backstrap to squeeze open the slide.

Anyhow, I've removed the park from the slide, which had a grippy surface enough to use this method. With a slick slide, I cannot grasp it. I'm starting to think of some kind of grip pattern, either along the top of the slide, or partial down the sides. It's sorta the same idea as top serrations, but at a different angle so that I can grip the slide.

I realize that may sound goofy, just humor me. Those of you with the "use a different method to work the slide" comments, don't even think about posting it. There's a reason why I don't use other methods.

I realize if I carry this gun, the grippy may be tough to draw from a leather holster, but that's a fight I'm willing to face later. The main goal is function with looks immediately close behind.

Edit: Playing with the gun, this section is mainly for the ejection port area and back to the rear on the top of the slide.

Lycanthrope
September 13, 2005, 07:55 AM
How about some cuts like EGW does (great pricing). Photo from EGW site.

http://www.egw-guns.com/gallery/pics/DreanTeam.jpg

Shorts
September 13, 2005, 11:22 AM
Whoa, those are some cuts! :D

Yeah, good pic. I searched last night online to see if I could fine some pics and examples for ideas.

XavierBreath
September 13, 2005, 11:46 AM
Shorts,
Use skateboard tape to determine the best location for the surface, then have it done. It's your gun, it's a custom gun, and it needs to conform to your needs, period.

You might want to consider a sight rib with checkering on it instead of serrations. Something along the lines of a S&W Model 27. In all honesty though,I think if I were you, I would not try to disguise this necessity, but instead flaunt it. I would go with checkering, and go 180 degrees across the top of the slide. This is where your pistol becomes a true custom, when it is massaged to meet your needs.

Have a holster made up to compensate for the gun.

Shorts
September 13, 2005, 12:25 PM
I like the checkering idea. Good thought on skateboard tape. I remember that's how some folks do the front strap when they don't/can't get it checkered.

tinkanting
September 15, 2005, 01:28 PM
supercuts!!!!