PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Shooting Ranges Houston TX/KatyTX

Mr.XD9mm
September 12, 2005, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know of any indoor shooting ranges in Houston in the Northwest side of town in the IH10 or 290W area?
If so what is the cost of the range or what does it cost to be a member?
Thanks.

toast
September 13, 2005, 10:20 AM
I have not gone to any of the indoor ranges in that area but have called a few. If you find one that you want to investigate in that area make sure you call first. Many of them are requiring that you only use one brand of ammo and that its the frangible kind.

Cawdor
September 13, 2005, 04:20 PM
Texas Shooters Range
1106-A Witte Road (North of I-10, roughly I-10 at Gessner)
Houston, Texas
77055-6019
(713) 464-6699

I go to the American Shooting Center (http://www.amshootcenters.com/).

Doug.38PR
September 13, 2005, 08:18 PM
Texas Shooters Range

Warning if you go there you will have to endure some extremely strict and downright silly rules and regulations from the time you walk in the door and the time you leave. You dang well better read teh sign before you walk in the door or the owner will yell at you and tell you to go back outside and come back in after you ahve read the rules. You ahve to walk in, go over to a sand counter and take your guns out of hte case with the action open and put them in a plastic bag. Then you go through the inner gate and let the over to the counter. The owner will tell you not to shoot the head of sillouette targets or you will get in trouble because you might hit the target support. Those are just two examples of how overkill they are they are over there.

Personally I recommend, http://www.topgunrange.com/
They are a lot friendlier over there. IT's not quite the I-10 and 290 area but it is worth it to have a air conditioned place to shoot. We go there all the time after church.

(I live only 5-10 minutes from American Shooters and go there sometimes because it's cheaper, but it's just too dang hot to go out there in the summer...plus too many people, you have to wait 'till cease fire before you can check your target, and you can't move your target either.)

I think Carter Country has an indoor range somewhere around town but I don't know where. You could probably go to the I-10 location between Campbell Road and Voss and ask them where their indoor range is (I think maybe it's north houston somewhere but I'm not sure.)

But personally I recomend Top Gun near Richmond and Fountainview as stated above.

Good shooting.

LHB1
September 13, 2005, 09:42 PM
AFAIK Carter's Country does not have an indoor range. They DO have an outdoor range in north Houston on Treschwig for pistols, rifles, and shotguns (both skeet and trap).

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Mr.XD9mm
September 13, 2005, 09:48 PM
A quick question about the indoor ranges what do they charge and would it be ok if I take my own ammo in there? I have been using Winchester USA(white box) 115gr FMJ's do they make you buy their ammo and charge an arm and a leg?

Will have to check out both places thank you for the information please let me know if anyone has any other places they shoot indoor or great outdoor ranges.

Thanks

Mr.XD9mm
September 13, 2005, 09:49 PM
Anyone been to Hot Wells Shooting range if so is there anything negative or extremely positive about the place?

Doug.38PR
September 13, 2005, 10:11 PM
I haven't been to Hot Wells, have not heard of that one. Top Gun charges more than say Oshmans or Acadamy for ammo, but they will give you a discount on the range fee if you buy ammunition from them. Regular range fee is about 11-14 dollars and I think buying ammo will knock off about 2 or 3 dollars. Top Gun and I think most indoor ranges do not allow full lead exposed ammo (they will make exceptions for things like the .45 Colt Long and other black powder cartridge guns) or full magnums so don't go buy lead or magnum bullets and expect to be able to use it at the range. You don't have to get anything expensive or complicated like WinClean but just make it it partially jacketed or full metal jacket.

Mr.XD9mm
September 13, 2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the info I have been shooting the Winchester 115gr FMJ's and didn't know if indoor ranges would allow FMJ's on account that they might be afraid of them shooting through.
Hot Wells is close to 290W and Barker Cypress actually you would there and its on your right hand side before you get to the intersection of Barker Cypress. I know they don't have indoor but didn't know if anyone had any negative instances over there.

wileyj
September 14, 2005, 09:09 AM
Hot Wells is convenient and the people are very nice. Costs about $7 per gun; no time limit.
No rapid fire. Pistol range 3 distances; rifle range 25, 50 and 100 yds. A place to shoot your defensive shotgun and skeet ranges.
It is on the south/west side of 290 between Skinner and Barker Cypress.
..wiley
Racing Miatas, Good cigars, Big guns
Houston, TX