PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 9mm USA 115gr FMJ

Mr.XD9mm
September 12, 2005, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know what kind of penetration this ammo has on the gelatin blocks?

cje1980
September 13, 2005, 02:10 PM
Alot, probably about 25" or more. The 115gr. JHP penetrate between 9-12" depending on bullet design. I know from experience that 9mm FMJ will penetrate at least 24-30" of pine wood. The 124-147gr. will penetrate more in both FMJ and JHP designs.

Mr.XD9mm
September 13, 2005, 10:33 PM
What are some good self defense rounds and what do you think about those night lights that can slide on the rail of the XD?

IZinterrogator
September 13, 2005, 10:55 PM
All 15 rounds? That will do it, but can she do it accurately and fast enough for a wounded BG to not be able to fire on her? That pistol will have to do the best submachine gun impression ever. Keeping in mind, of course, that the instant incapacitation points on a person are small, so all 15 rounds better be going for the head.

Mr.XD9mm
September 13, 2005, 11:40 PM
She put 10 rounds into the head portion and the other five in the man size target in the chest heart ring. Friends were impressed with her shooting and told me that I better never piss her off.

Slateman
September 13, 2005, 11:53 PM
I don't understand. Why doesn't she want JHP? Its 18 bucks for 20 Hyrdro Shocks. Whats a few more bucks when we're talking about safety?

And those rounds may have a tendancy to overpenetrate, go through a bad guy, and into a neighbor's house :eek:

Topthis
September 15, 2005, 02:22 AM
Shot placement is the key. Although, having better SD ammo will certainly increase the odds of succesfully taking a BG down with one or two shots. This certainly can be done with a single round of your WWB 115gr 9mm bullets...but being originally from Vegas, I like to increase my odds whenever I can. 147gr JHP's are also available at Wally World and they are very reasonably priced.
Keep in mind that accuracy while shooting at a stationary paper target in a controlled setting and shooting one round every 4-6 seconds is going to be VERY different from shooting at an advancing BG armed with a gun, knife, bat, Claw Hammer (lol) or just plain bad breath, during a very stressful and chaotic situation. Tell her you aren't going to be buying 10,000 rounds of SD ammo...all you really need is one or two magazines.

Mark54g
September 15, 2005, 07:32 AM
For one, JHPs expand more often and more reliably than FMJs. This can create a larger wound channel and help you along with stopping a motivated and determined attacker.

Premium defense rounds are also geared more towards lower flash as to not blind you at night. What good is it if she can normally put 80+% of her rounds on target when she fires 1 or 2 rounds in a darkened room and cannot see her target while he proceeds to take the gun from her and kill her?

Spend the money on something better, but before you decide that you are going with hydrashoks, or golden sabres, or whatever, try some in YOUR gun.

An added plus is that JHPs do NOT penetrate quite as well as FMJ so that if you miss, its less likely that you are going to kill the neighbor's dog, or the neighbor's kids, etc.

There HAS to be a reason why JHPs are made, and it is not just a novelty. They are better stoppers in many instances.

dave_in_delaware
September 15, 2005, 08:48 AM
Winchester makes 147gr JHP (9mm), which is sold at my local Wal-Mart. 50 rounds for under $11. Not a bad price for HP's. That's what I keep loaded in my mags at home in case of a break-in. From what I've read, I think the penetration would be enough to stop an intruder, but not so much that it'll go through and hit my neighbor, too (I live in an apartment). The best thing to do is test whatever ammo you buy. Every gun is different, and the time to find out that your gun doesn't like the personal protection ammo you chose is BEFORE you really need it.

Velocity226
September 15, 2005, 10:35 AM
FMJs tend to overpenetrate and go right through a human target. Even after going through a target, it will easily punch through many indoor walls. This is especially a danger for those living in apartments or those with a family.

Provided that shot placement is good, FMJ ammunition will get the job done.

Texas Sized
September 15, 2005, 10:42 AM
If your wife pumps 15 rounds into a bad guy, you better get a good lawyer.

Harley Quinn
September 15, 2005, 11:14 AM
For most people the idea of shooting someone is sickening. Even people who are paid to protect and serve don't usually like that aspect of the job but they do it if they are in fear for their life or protecting others from a wanton criminal.
I have talked to many and seen some terrible things done in the name of self defense but it is very hard to shoot someone, (they fall and you still keep shooting) NOT.
It is like the knife scene you are defending yourself against the attacker not trying to kill them, just stop them. When they stop you stop, or else that worm turns and you are the attacker and they are the victim.
In our society it is now different then years ago. Self defense is the name of the game. Has been for years.

First and foremost what is your background? When you shoot, are you sure it is needed, or can you talk them into submission? Most of the shootings inside a house or neighborhood is risky at best, especially if you are not trained to know when to shoot and who to shoot. Fear is not your friend in that situation, a cool head and much training is needed.

Yell at them, say I have a gun, stop. The next word might be something that would stop you from pulling the trigger.
I have read the stats and it is not good when families are squabbling. That is the worst scenerio.
So buddy you better not do much to make your wife so inclined. :eek: Sounds like she would need a good lawyer just from the way she is boasting about shooting someone 15 times. I would be concerned if I was you.

The answer in my opinion is to get the high velocity 115 with hp then it won't go through lots of things and hurt someone or kill some innocent.

The heavier the bullet the harder it hits and further it flies through stuff. By the same token the lighter it is and harder it is (fmj) the more it is likly to go through that object, because it is generally traveling faster.

Hope this helps, in more ways than one. :)

Harley

Mr.XD9mm
September 15, 2005, 07:07 PM
I do agree and appreciate the information probably going to check out some of those 147gr JHP's. Anybody have a XD and had trouble with any type of ammo?

jonathon
September 15, 2005, 10:10 PM
I've put 2 boxes of Winchester Q4318 9mm Nato, which is a +P charge under a 124gr bullet, through my Glock.

I would say, it penetrates a crapload. I had one shoot through a rail road tie.